Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 1 Sep 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Rincelex
Apprentice Imagineer

Problems viewing photos in windows

So we have returned from holiday and have downloaded from phones, video cameras, water cameras and actual proper cameras 2,530 photos.

They are all showing as thumbnails in the folder but are made up of various files names - camera photos all start with DSC and phone pictures all start with IMG in front of the reference number. I have sorted them all into date order.

When I click on the first photo which is a phone photo starting with reference IMG I get it on full screen I then click on the little side arrow on the right hand side to go to the next picture and it only shows me the IMG pictures and skips over the camera ones, also vice versa when I click on the camera photos it skips over the phone ones.

It does the same when I click slideshow depending on where it starts either with an IMG or a DCS photo, they are there in the thumbnails and I can click on them and bring them up. I have tried googling but can't seem to find a solution.

I have had this problem before but just put up with it and I am sure it is a setting or a check box somewhere but I can't find it.

Anyone help?
Rincelex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

What are you using to view them? The name of the photo shouldn’t make any difference to the viewing.

I do know iPhone has changed the format of their photos which can make them harder to view on a pc but it doesn’t sound like that’s the issue here ?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

A little google suggests this is an issue with the built in windows photo viewer.

There is an all called Photos which should work better.

I actually still use a discontinued program called Picasa which I can’t manage without.

You can download it
picasa.en.uptodown/windows/download

It is not supported anymore but it works well and I find it the easiest way to view and edit 1000s of photos.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

I also found this but I haven’t tried it

ve finally found the well hidden answer to my query above. So for other users who are looking for this feature and to clarify where to find the "Arrange By" view.
Make sure you open Pictures Library instead of Pictures folder.
Open File Explorer, click View > Navigation Pane > Show libraries.
In the navigation pane expand Libraries, click Pictures.
Once on the Pictures page you just can right click on the page and find "Arrange By" this will enable you select the above view that was so easily available on Windows 7.
You won't find it on the View Ribbon (where Sort & Group are).
Hope this helps someone find it a lot quicker than I was able to.
Old 4 Sep 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rincelex
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
What are you using to view them? The name of the photo shouldn’t make any difference to the viewing.

I do know iPhone has changed the format of their photos which can make them harder to view on a pc but it doesn’t sound like that’s the issue here ?
Yes after I posted this I realised that all the photos are JPEGs so whatever there name shouldn't make a difference but thats a big coincidence.

I am just viewing them on a PC at home.
Rincelex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
It's because it's viewing them in alphabetical order. So it shows all the photos starting with "DSC..." first and then all the photos starting with "IMG..." after that. If you click on an IMG photo then the next one shown will also be an IMG photo because that's what's next alphabetically.

There's an issue with the Photo Viewer that you can't look through the photos in date order, only alphabetically. It's not picking up the order from the folder. There is apparently a fix - for example it's mentioned here and other places - but I've never tried it and don't know anything about it. Of course, the other option is to use a different photo viewer, as Bev suggests.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

irfanview is great and free, and can also be used for batch processing (resizing/converting/etc)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List