Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 30 Oct 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile Anyone complain to Center Parcs?

We're at Whinfell at the moment for 4 nts. We've booked a fancy lodge with a sauna near to the village centre. Almost £1300 for 2a 2k.

On arrival lodge smelt awful of wet dog. It's a pet free one so previous visitors should not have had a dog. Complained immediately before unpacking and asked to be moved to be told site is full so no alternative available.

They said they'd send housekeeping to do deep clean and ioniser to remove smell. Housekeeping came but didnt do anything other than check the mop! The ioniser arrived an hour later and thankfully removed the smell.

Went for walk to village centre on first night and footpath was closed due to construction work so instead of 2 minute walk it was now about 12 via main road around the park in the dark with arrivals traffic. We also have dumper trucks and works vehicles passing and a building site less than 150m from our lodge.

Expensive meal in Bella Italia having to keep coats on due to cold followed. Complained to server to be told it's always like this and she's got her layers on to stay warm.

Called into Guest Services on way back to lodge to complain about lodge again and request torches. They didn't have torches to spare but logged details.

Tuesday involved high ropes for kids. £66 for both for up to an hour's fun. Safety briefing took 15 mins and they were round obstacles in less than another 15 mins 😠

Tea was in the Indian restaurant. Seated near the door so asked to be moved due to previous nights experience but they couldn't. Another meal freezing every time door opened.

Roll on an hour and received email to say they'd tried to call me - no phone signal in most areas! So I called and spoke to Duty Manager. She was apologic and offered me £50 for lack of housekeeping, £25 food voucher for cold at Bella Italia and free tree tops next time we come.

I've said I appreciate her offer but don't think it's appropriate. Not sure what I want but £50 quid off a £1300 lodge is an insult. The smell is still here on Wednesday so have to use ioniser on and off all the time, the construction site is noisy and the paths being closed an inconvenience. She said she'd speak to the manager and maybe have to refer me to Head Office.

Am I wrong to hold out for more than £50 refund plus £25 food vouchers?

The activity refund only happens if I've forked out another £1000 plus to visit again.

We're regular customers, we come here annually but this is the worst and has really took the shine off our only family holiday this year.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

I complained about a couple of things last year when we went to Longleat for my mum's 70th. Nothing wrong with our lodge luckily but the pool was horrendously busy on our last day and the rides weren't all open plus our peaceful lunch wasn't very peaceful as they were working on a refurb at Hucks and had a nail gun constantly going. Think we also had issues with the arcade. I emailed after my visit as the queue at guest services was long. I was told I could have a complimentary day pass so we could revisit. I actually managed to get 2 separate days as I said my husband, daughter and I wanted to visit on a separate day and could I pay for 1 extra person and go with my mum on a different day. As the lodge we had actually slept 6 they said we could have a pass for 3 people on 2 separate days. We also then got another day as the fire alarm meant we were evacuated on one of the complimentary days and had to stand outside in silver blankets. 😂
I hope you manage to sort something but if you're still not satisfied complain again. I wouldn't be happy if my lodge smelt of dogs and was surrounded by building work. We actually enjoyed our complimentary days and did stay again this May and we're going again in February. If we have any problems I will not hesitate to complain.
Old 30 Oct 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Fra
Trying for More Ears

Hi, I'm very familiar with Whinfell forest - what street are you staying in?

Bella is never cold when I've been there before (I've been going at least once a year for 16 years now).

Was it high ropes you were doing or was it the tree trekking (tree trekking is at the Indian Restaurant side - high ropes are at the outdoor tennis courts). High ropes should last 1 hour plus (I've done it) - tree trekking can take 15 minutes if you are only doing the low course and can get round it quickly.

Tree trekking is very expensive.

The only way there would have been a dog would have been if it's an assistance dog which is fair enough.

This is low season though so there is always a lot of maintenance going on to get ready for the peak period.

You've done the correct thing by bringing it up on-site but in all honesty Center Parcs know they will sell the villa to someone else if you don't go back so it's no loss to them.
Fra is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Fra View Post

Bella is never cold when I've been there before (I've been going at least once a year for 16 years now).

Was it high ropes you were doing or was it the tree trekking (tree trekking is at the Indian Restaurant side - high ropes are at the outdoor tennis courts). High ropes should last 1 hour plus (I've done it) - tree trekking can take 15 minutes if you are only doing the low course and can get round it quickly.

The only way there would have been a dog would have been if it's an assistance dog which is fair enough.

This is low season though so there is always a lot of maintenance going on to get ready for the peak period.

You've done the correct thing by bringing it up on-site but in all honesty Center Parcs know they will sell the villa to someone else if you don't go back so it's no loss to them.
We're on Heather Glade. The works are between here and the Pancake House. The footpath around the lake is closed until evening. There's so much traffic I'm worried about DD on her bike. DS is banned from his phone so they're out without contact which is strange in itself.

It was the course by the Indian. The higher one. We asked how long to leave the kids while we went for a coffee. Was told up to an hour.

It's half term so although low season generally it's packed and we've paid a premium price 😢
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

? its half term for a lot of schools so i bet the OP has paid top £££

but i agree they probably couldnt care less as they will sell it anyway
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Fra
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
We're on Heather Glade. The works are between here and the Pancake House. The footpath around the lake is closed until evening. There's so much traffic I'm worried about DD on her bike. DS is banned from his phone so they're out without contact which is strange in itself.

It was the course by the Indian. The higher one. We asked how long to leave the kids while we went for a coffee. Was told up to an hour.

It's half term so although low season generally it's packed and we've paid a premium price 😢
Is this construction traffic you are referring to? The path round the lake from lakeside apartments (at the tree trekking you did) to the pancake house was open when we were there a couple of weeks ago so assume it's now shut. Could you walk up towards lake beck and round to the village centre that way or is that also shut off?

Failing that - walk down to lakeside apartments and then to lakeside inn and round to the centre that way via the boat house. That's a complete pain though and does massively increase the time it is taking.

Those villas are quite old for Sauna one's and don't look particularly great so we've always avoided them. Bilberry wood looks a bit better as does the top of the park past foresters lane but it's a bit late for that for you now.

Social media might be your best bet or a call into head office first but you are going to be struggling to get significantly more but you might get a few more vouchers whilst you are still on-site towards something.
Old 30 Oct 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We went last year to Woburn and encountered a very chilly visit to Laa Iguanas but didn't complain about it. However our daughter (6) cut her eyelid open on the 1st day on a slide in the pool, no idea how she did it as she followed the safety instructions. We ended up at A and E with glue and paper stitches, it's scarred but luckily no other damage.
CP response was a free day pass.
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Is this construction traffic you are referring to? The path round the lake from lakeside apartments (at the tree trekking you did) to the pancake house was open when we were there a couple of weeks ago so assume it's now shut. Could you walk up towards lake beck and round to the village centre that way or is that also shut off?

Failing that - walk down to lakeside apartments and then to lakeside inn and round to the centre that way via the boat house. That's a complete pain though and does massively increase the time it is taking.

Those villas are quite old for Sauna one's and don't look particularly great so we've always avoided them. Bilberry wood looks a bit better as does the top of the park past foresters lane but it's a bit late for that for you now.

Social media might be your best bet or a call into head office first but you are going to be struggling to get significantly more but you might get a few more vouchers whilst you are still on-site towards something.
The path is closed from the village/pancake house past the lakeside apartments all the way to sports plaza end. It opens about 6pm. We have to walk the road route so quite a bit further. Not a problem as we're all able bodied but plan to send kids swimming ahead without us to give them s bit of freedom has gone. Don't want to risk DD who's only 10 with traffic and workmen.

Yes, construction traffic by us. There's a dumper truck parked about 4 lodges further up. A large crane passing morning and night. And obviously a lot more pedestrians did to oath being closed.

The lodge itself is lovely, except the smell. Had ioniser on again this afternoon.

We always go for a slightly better lodge, has to include housekeeping, towels, dishwasher. The sauna is amazing and we're all getting great use out of it. We picked it for the area. Last year we were in Lakeside Lodge, year before Badger Wood. We always stay in "middle section" as it's what we like and close to everything for when DD is tired at night.

Just disappointed. Lodge was £1249. Another £200 on kids activities. And that's before we've bought any good or drink. It's only £449 in February so definitely paying a premium for half term.

Wouldn't have minded so much if we'd been told in advance about building work. Appreciate they've got to continously update it.

£50 refund just didn't seem much compensation when she was trying to "put the sparkle back"
Old 30 Oct 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Fra
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
The path is closed from the village/pancake house past the lakeside apartments all the way to sports plaza end. It opens about 6pm. We have to walk the road route so quite a bit further. Not a problem as we're all able bodied but plan to send kids swimming ahead without us to give them s bit of freedom has gone. Don't want to risk DD who's only 10 with traffic and workmen.

Yes, construction traffic by us. There's a dumper truck parked about 4 lodges further up. A large crane passing morning and night. And obviously a lot more pedestrians did to oath being closed.

The lodge itself is lovely, except the smell. Had ioniser on again this afternoon.

We always go for a slightly better lodge, has to include housekeeping, towels, dishwasher. The sauna is amazing and we're all getting great use out of it. We picked it for the area. Last year we were in Lakeside Lodge, year before Badger Wood. We always stay in "middle section" as it's what we like and close to everything for when DD is tired at night.

Just disappointed. Lodge was £1249. Another £200 on kids activities. And that's before we've bought any good or drink. It's only £449 in February so definitely paying a premium for half term.

Wouldn't have minded so much if we'd been told in advance about building work. Appreciate they've got to continously update it.

£50 refund just didn't seem much compensation when she was trying to "put the sparkle back"
The exec villas with the indoor IR saunas at the top of seven pines are getting done up at the moment - one for you to try.

We were in the exlusive lodge with games room, hot tub, sauna and steam room for 3 nights a couple of weekends ago for the first time down in Moorland View (but only a couple of minutes walk to the sports centre as there is a path from the 100's Moorland Views to the Sports Plaza. That was easily the best stay we've had (but also by far the most expensive - but it was a one off).
Old 30 Oct 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

The exec villas with the indoor IR saunas at the top of seven pines are getting done up at the moment - one for you to try.

We were in the exlusive lodge with games room, hot tub, sauna and steam room for 3 nights a couple of weekends ago for the first time down in Moorland View (but only a couple of minutes walk to the sports centre as there is a path from the 100's Moorland Views to the Sports Plaza. That was easily the best stay we've had (but also by far the most expensive - but it was a one off).
Would love to try those lodges but we're tied to school holidays so prices are eye watering.

Don't fancy a IR, not sure why 🤔