Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Nov 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mobile

Ours is an Ideal Mexico installed in 1986. I’m not changing it until it dies!
We had cold spots so maybe 4 years ago had a Powerflush. What a difference that made. Well worth the costs. Plus BG quoted for 1 Guy for 1 day. It took 2 of them 2 days so they lost money. Had to cut out and replace 15ft of piping at no charge

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
We are in exactly the same predicament

Ours is around 15 years old. Maybe more. British gas home care too and we have an appointment with them on Tuesday. We pay £80 a month for just gas and I'm still expecting a big bill come spring time... And I'm still a bit cold 😔
Since the engineer came on Friday, it has been warmer because he let a load of air out of the radiators which was stopping them getting hot. But the air was there because of the inefficiency of the boiler.

If it’s going to reduce the energy bill and let me be warm then it makes sense to replace it. My energy bill is a lot too. The deal they offered me was great plus I get £200 off my energy bill after I’ve had it installed.

I’d be interested to know what they say when they visit on Tuesday.👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Ours is an Ideal Mexico installed in 1986. I’m not changing it until it dies!
We had cold spots so maybe 4 years ago had a Powerflush. What a difference that made. Well worth the costs. Plus BG quoted for 1 Guy for 1 day. It took 2 of them 2 days so they lost money. Had to cut out and replace 15ft of piping at no charge
British Gas did say that any extra costs incurred, they will pay for which I was happy with.☺️

How much would it be approximately for just the flush of the system do you know?
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Since the engineer came on Friday, it has been warmer because he let a load of air out of the radiators which was stopping them getting hot. But the air was there because of the inefficiency of the boiler.

If it’s going to reduce the energy bill and let me be warm then it makes sense to replace it. My energy bill is a lot too. The deal they offered me was great plus I get £200 off my energy bill after I’ve had it installed.

If you only needed to vent the rads then there is nothing wrong with the boiler? It wasnt heating them up purely because of the air? You should vent them at least in the autumn when they start coming on again and possibly more often. A key on amazon is about £2 delivered and you can do it yourself. If they now heat up there is nothing wrong with the boiler. Keep it.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We had new boiler fitted yesterday, old one less than 10 years old (baxi) and serviced every year! Heating was ok but potentially no hot water, or even worse water running cold mid shower! Could have been 1 of 4 problems - 3 not too expensive to repair but 4th was potentially a new motherboard.
Took the plunge with new boiler and could feel the difference immediately. Wonderful to know was able to have a hot shower this morning!
It's a Worcester Bosch boiler this time and fitted to a much higher standard - plumber yesterday had to fit a run off valve to kitchen radiator as original plumber hadn't put one in and a few years ago he came to sort out the overflow pipe as it froze each winter stopping boiler from working - DH was outside with hairdryer in several occasions trying to unfreeze it (fortunately we live in a bungalow)
Hopefully will benefit from cheaper gas bills too 😊
OP - choose your fitter carefully!

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

British Gas did say that any extra costs incurred, they will pay for which I was happy with.☺️

How much would it be approximately for just the flush of the system do you know?
As I say mine was a few years ago. £650 including a Magnet thingy to collect particles of metal
I was gobsmacked how much sludge they got out. Maybe a 4 gallon bucket full of semi solid stuff
We now have our rads apart from the hall one on setting 4 not Max. Bills reduced as well

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
If you only needed to vent the rads then there is nothing wrong with the boiler? It wasnt heating them up purely because of the air? You should vent them at least in the autumn when they start coming on again and possibly more often. A key on amazon is about £2 delivered and you can do it yourself. If they now heat up there is nothing wrong with the boiler. Keep it.
I might be wrong but I think what the engineer was saying was because we have so many radiators and they are on three levels, the boiler struggles to do it’s job. Which is why the get filled with air. All the radiators upstairs (on both levels) are now hot. The one in the kitchen, not so hot. That’s my understanding of what he was saying. ☺️
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

I might be wrong but I think what the engineer was saying was because we have so many radiators and they are on three levels, the boiler struggles to do it’s job. Which is why the get filled with air. All the radiators upstairs (on both levels) are now hot. The one in the kitchen, not so hot. That’s my understanding of what he was saying. ☺️
I would be waiting to see what transpires this winter now they have been bled

Old 17 Nov 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Not sure how air can get in because of the "inefficiency of the boiler". I think I would be wanting him to explain that one.

Is it an open (with header tank in loft) or closed (pressurised with no header tank) system?

Edited at 04:41 PM.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Not sure how air can get in because of the "inefficiency of the boiler". I think I would be wanting him to explain that one.

Is it an open (with header tank in loft) or closed (pressurised with no header tank) system?
That was my understanding. I might not be correct. It’s a combi boiler. No system in the loft.