Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 Dec 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Close to 50 trips to america and I have never been asked. Where am I staying, when am I going back is pretty standard for me.

Maybe you look a bit shifty
I must be shifty too as I have been asked how much money I have with me
I said about $100 and was then asked how much I had access to via Debit and Credit cards.
Similar happened many times especially on the regular trips to Houston on business over the years.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I must be shifty too as I have been asked how much money I have with me
I said about $100 and was then asked how much I had access to via Debit and Credit cards.
Similar happened many times especially on the regular trips to Houston on business over the years.
My family must look dodgy as well, we were asked 2 out of the 3 times we have been!
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I've done 2 solo trips - this year and last year. On both occasions I was asked why I was on my own and how much money I had with me.
I hope you said “Because I CAN ! “
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
It could be because I go solo. They want to know I can support myself for the time I'm there.
I remember flying solo into Minnesota to get to San Francisco. At the time I flew with a laptop bag. I assumed it would make the flight easier, pockets for everything, passports. chargers, camera, ipod, etd etc etc and my laptop too.

Big mistake. The CBP Office was convinced I could be working. Asked for details of how I would support myself, including seeing the amount of cash I had in the wallet, what Credit cards, wanted to check the laptop etc etc. Never took a laptop bag as hand-luggage ever again

Edited at 12:08 AM.
Northerndave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

I’d hazard a guess that Disney themselves would find the 1 hr wait unacceptable,not for altruistic reasons though simply if you are standing in a queue you ain’t spending your holiday Dollars with them.
Budmiester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It's a bit like comparing private medical treatment and NHS medical treatment. With the latter you expect some delays because it's "free" (not really; we pay for it through taxes). Whereas we expect better service from the former, including less delays, because we are directly paying for it.
i'll make a silly comparison here
I've just looked at the taxes breakdown on a LGW-MCO flight.
US immigration, customs and facility taxes come up to £45.3 per adult passenger.

four our family of 3 (over 12y.o.) that's £135.9
this is what we'd pay, for a mandatory service, and could send us down a much longer line.

if you compare it (even though it's apples and bananas) to the "hidden" DME charges, it gives some perspective. because what the "government" charges for the immigration line, could actually get you 2 nights at a value disney resort, DME included.

true Disney is a multibillion company. Parks and resorts is at $4.8 billion ... well, CBP is part of a "company" (country) that stands at $20.400 billions ... perspective, lol

I know I don't make much sense here, comparing what can't really be compared, but again, that's for perspective about what we find unacceptable, and what we suck up because we can't do otherwise. Well, actually we can ... nobody ever forced us to go to the US, let alone at Disney's
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Budmiester View Post
I’d hazard a guess that Disney themselves would find the 1 hr wait unacceptable,not for altruistic reasons though simply if you are standing in a queue you ain’t spending your holiday Dollars with them.
Even if that wasn't the case (and, let's face it, it is), Disney hasn't in some way manufactured this queue. It doesn't plan to have a 60 minute queue for the DME. Something obviously went wrong or something unusual happened leading to this build up of guests.

Now if there were 60 minute queues for DME all the time, then I could understand people blaming Disney for not having enough buses or enough staff to check in the people or whatever.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:59 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I’m pretty sure it’s not a ‘one off’ and it certainly is unacceptable. It has happened to us twice, once a 45 minute wait at about 7pm in October, and once a 1 hour wait at about 8pm in January. Neither time were there any weather or traffic situations.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
I’m pretty sure it’s not a ‘one off’ and it certainly is unacceptable. It has happened to us twice, once a 45 minute wait at about 7pm in October, and once a 1 hour wait at about 8pm in January. Neither time were there any weather or traffic situations.
Yes, I'm sure this isn't the only time. I didn't mean it had only ever happened once ever; I said it doesn't happen "all the time". If it did happen all the time and everyone considered it unacceptable then no one would ever use the DME (clearly, this isn't the case). I would guess either it doesn't happen most of the time or most people don't think it's unacceptable (or both).

(BTW, by "unacceptable" I assume this to mean "not acceptable to you". That is, you wouldn't put up with it and pursue an alternative).

So, in your two cases, what was the problem do you think? Was it that there weren't enough CMs and it took them 1 hour to check everyone in that arrived at the time you did? I know when I've been there I've only seen 2 CMs (I think) and I guess they might struggle if suddenly confronted with hundreds of guests at the same time.

Or, similar to the above, was it just sheer numbers of people arriving at the same time? If there were several hundreds of people all wanting to go to the same resort then I can see it taking several bus loads before everyone was on their way. It takes time to load a bus and get another one into place when the previous one has left, so I can see it taking significant time if it's very busy (similar to how it takes time to get everyone on the resort buses when the crowds leave a park after the fireworks due to the sheer volume of people).

I assume it wasn't that you just had to wait 1 hour for a bus to arrive with only a reasonable number of people with you, because that could imply a traffic problem? I know Disney generally has multiple buses going to/from the airport for each resort (I remember watching the airport buses come and go from CBR and there were more than half a dozen per hour - three turned up within about 5 minutes of one another at one point). I suppose it's possible there was a shortage of buses at the time, meaning that maybe Disney only had one bus for your resort. If you'd just missed one then I suppose you might have had to wait an hour for it to return?

Anyway, I'm just pondering now...

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

This was the queue yesterday. This is not a one off situation and not OK.