Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Dec 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

[QUOTE=Ritz;14204788]I see new Tory MP Miriam Cates is already making money out of food banks. Set up a foodbanks app nad charging the foodbanks to be part of the app! [/QUOTE

Bless her heart!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

My only reservation with food banks stems from seeing the que on TV a while back & standing in it the nicely dressed young couple both on their iPhones!
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
This thread has brought back childhood memories of making Harvest Festival food boxes and delivering them to the elderly in the community- do schools still do this I wonder? I used to love that.
We still collect food for harvest festival at my school but give it to a local homeless charity. We also donate any leftover food from each lunchtime. We do lots of work with a local old people's home throughout the year.
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
My only reservation with food banks stems from seeing the que on TV a while back & standing in it the nicely dressed young couple both on their iPhones!
There will always be people who take the p***, you have to hold your nose and hope for Karma!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Lots of people could have clothes to wear and even mobiles and still fall into crisis and need food for themselves or their children, even if only for a short time to tide them over. Need is assessed before people are given vouchers for a foodbank. It's just so sad that there is such a need in this country.
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

So you then have to think what has happened to them to end up -at a food bank. No one chooses to go to a food bank. Maybe they have lost their jobs. Think Thomas cook. Lots of families lost both jobs that day. are they supposed to throw away their clothes and buy shabby ones that befits their newly unemployed status?
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

People are assessed before given a food voucher. This is part of my role as a CAB adviser. They have to prove hardship. Just because they own a nice phone doesn’t mean they haven’t hit hard times.

Many people are only in need of the help short term as in when they are made redundant or have short term illnesses which mean they only have SSP to provide for their whole family. They are usually very embarrassed to ask for help, and in some cases, have to be persuaded to take a food voucher as they feel they shouldn’t need it as it’s just a temporary shortage of cash. It still means they are struggling and can’t afford food for their families at that point.

It just shows it could happen to anyone, whatever situation they are in things can change very quickly.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Actually a lady was telling me about a very wealthy lady who fled an abusive relationship and needed help to tide her over for a couple of weeks. Once she was back on her feet she made an absolutely massive donation.
Old 15 Dec 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Actually a lady was telling me about a very wealthy lady who fled an abusive relationship and needed help to tide her over for a couple of weeks. Once she was back on her feet she made an absolutely massive donation.
Many people flee abusive relationships with nothing but the clothes they are wearing. Many have no bank account, savings or income as they have been financially abused. Even the child benefit had been in the abuser’s name. Their partner may be well off, so they look well off too as they are dressed in good clothes with a nice handbag and phone but that is actually everything they have (even then the contract is soon stopped as the partner pays it) It is very sad but often people feel they have to stay for the simple reason they know they have nothing when they leave.

Obviously there is help, Women’s Aid, CAB and Refuge are all good places to start getting the help and support. They can help with food vouchers and housing and so much more.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I have just been to marks and sparks food hall, and disappointed that they don't have a food bank trolley to put donations in. I would think that many people who shop at Marks food hall can spare the odd item to donate (especially being in Pinner - a more wealthy area).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List