Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 28 Dec 19, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I had to take mine down today. Other than the fact I’m working tomorrow and Monday, at my parents Sunday, out on Tuesday and probably hungover on Wednesday, my tree hasn’t lasted at all this year and I’ve lost a couple of glass baubles due to them falling off the branches that were shedding more than my Labrador! Very disappointed in the quality as I spent more on it this year and got it from a garden centre highly recommended to me, must have got a duff one as it didn’t have that strong a smell to it either

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I had to take mine down today. Other than the fact I’m working tomorrow and Monday, at my parents Sunday, out on Tuesday and probably hungover on Wednesday, my tree hasn’t lasted at all this year and I’ve lost a couple of glass baubles due to them falling off the branches that were shedding more than my Labrador! Very disappointed in the quality as I spent more on it this year and got it from a garden centre highly recommended to me, must have got a duff one as it didn’t have that strong a smell to it either
How disappointing. But I laughed at shedding more than Labrador. How are they not bald?
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
How disappointing. But I laughed at shedding more than Labrador. How are they not bald?
Oh I know Sue it’s ridiculous! He should look like a doggy version of this by now 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I've taken 1 tree down and the little decorations but will probably do another one soon and then the big one at the weekend.
The big one is 8ft and has 800 lights so took me ages to get it up.
Old 30 Dec 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Our tree went up a few days prior to Xmas and they come down tomorrow.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

For us it’s different each year. When I worked at Asda I would working loads of bank holidays so I have taken them down Boxing Day before today. It’s rare they’re still up on NYE but as no-ones back to reality until 06/01 then they may well be. However I have just stripped the kids Xmas bedding and also put the ornaments/cups/Xmas clothes away. It’s literally the tree and cards left now.
Old 30 Dec 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
I think it's quite sad that Christmas day is seen as 'the end' for some people. The traditional celebration of feasting, family and light which was then 'borrowed' by Christianity celebrates the longer day length commencing after the solstice. The Christian festival has many of these elements included in their celebrations over several days ending in the Epiphany.

Decorating the house far earlier than these events just seems like a festival of shopping and consumerism to me - the essence of the celebrations are starting now, not ending. If you're 'bored' of how the house looks because the decorations have been up for weeks, try waiting until closer to the festivals to celebrate. There is much more to Christmas than shopping in September, decorating in November and a Christmas dinner on 25th. Hope this makes sense, alcohol may have been consumed.
I understand what you’re saying but it’s not especially kind to be judgemental or assume people who want the decorations down soon after Xmas day spend all of summer Xmas shopping and are consumed by the material aspect.

Sometimes it’s out of an individuals control, to an extent, and dependent on family needs/wants. We spend each weekend on December doing something festive and continue to celebrate until the first person returns to work. Sometimes that has been Boxing Day. This year it’s the 06/01. It’s entirely up to them how they celebrate Christmas and for how long.
Old 30 Dec 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
I understand what you’re saying but it’s not especially kind to be judgemental or assume people who want the decorations down soon after Xmas day spend all of summer Xmas shopping and are consumed by the material aspect.

Sometimes it’s out of an individuals control, to an extent, and dependent on family needs/wants. We spend each weekend on December doing something festive and continue to celebrate until the first person returns to work. Sometimes that has been Boxing Day. This year it’s the 06/01. It’s entirely up to them how they celebrate Christmas and for how long.
I agree with you. Most people think I’m mad but to be honest after having it up for 25 days, most people on our house have had three festive/Xmas dinners. 4 sets of plays (for two kids) a Christmas school festival, a pantomime, a read a book with Santa in pjs. There has been so much “festive” stuff since 1st December that I’m just fed up of it all and want to get back to normal without glitter and tinsel everywhere.

I do shop for bits from probably September onwards as it’s better for budget etc but I dunno why it’s all “sad”
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If I could get away with taking the decorations down on Boxing Day I would ! DH insists it all stays until Twelfth Night. It is driving me mad, can't even close the window blinds because I can't get to the window for the tree. Sick of seeing it all now.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
balel
Excited about Disney

I read that the Queen’s decorations stay up at Sandringham until February 6th, and I’m tempted, well if it’s good enough for Her Majesty... ! I love my decorations and always leave them until 12th night, we are still really enjoying Christmas, with parties, days out and visitors continuing until next week, it’s still very festive here!
balel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List