Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Aug 11, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Snake Sightings on Anna Maria Island ?

I am absolutely petrified of snakes... I've been to Florida 10 times now and have had three snake sightings/encounters:

first was swimming in our villa pool;
second was in the lanai at our villa;
third was being held on a stick by a group of kids in AMI last year...

SO - we're seriously considering booking a condo on AMI for next year DH really likes the idea of not driving and being able to walk to restaurants/bars and the beach.

After the snake on a stick incident last year, I'm seriously worried that all this walking might mean more snake encounters . The thing is I know I'd make a complete idiot of myself by screeching and either running in the other direct of freaking on the spot

So my question is to those who have stayed on AMI have you had snake encounters whilst walking about ... I know that Florida is a swmap etc and that I should expect to meet snakes. I just want to do everything to avoid it - even if that means staying in a villa in Rotonda/Bradenton again and driving to beaches.

Hoping you might be able to set my mind at rest...

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 11, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Flightman
Imagineer

Just the one. Slithered off into the bushes as we approached. We never got closer than about 10 yards away. And that was our only sighting in 4 weeks of "Island Living"

You have to remember they are more scared of you then you are of them.

Houston we have a countdown!
Flightman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 11, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post

I share your fear! I HATE snakes with a passion - DH wants a trip to AMI - after I read there may be snakes I have been put off the idea.
However I am going to attempt it - and if I see one I will jump on the nearest available person!
But on a serious note I think they would slither off...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 11, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Flightman
Imagineer

Seriously I wouldn't let it deter you from a visit. It is the most beautiful island and a lovely change of pace from Orlando.

Houston we have a countdown!
Flightman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 11, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by char1402 View Post
However I am going to attempt it - and if I see one I will jump on the nearest available person!
Haha that made me LOL.

Don't forget Snakes can jump up

Seriously though...I hate snakes and any form of creepy crawly things. I would jump or more like take off running if I saw a snake!
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 11, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post

In all my visits to the States and I first went in 1972 after leaving college and spent 6 months with family in Virginia, never saw one snake.
Since 1981 I have travelled extensively across the States 2/3 times a year and always spending the last week of our holidays with family in Texas up until we bought our villa, never saw one snake.

When we arrived to furnish our villa in late 04 I was gardening in the front garden and saw my first snake outside the zoo, quite small. I reversed on my hands and knees very quickly saying to my husband snake agghhhh! it's green he responded probably just a grass snake do not worry about it, but this is Florida I shouted not England so umm ha a hasty retreat indoors for me.
Since this one and only encounter I have never seen a snake since and we back on to woods and I have been on my hands and knees weeding in this area, (we now possess a strimmer).
I am more scared of spiders although would still scream if I came across a largish snake.
Do not let snakes spoil your trip they are there but from my experience rarely, rarely seen and I think you have been very unlucky to have encountered 3.

Rotonda Girl
Old 17 Aug 11, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylover
Imagineer

We saw one in AMI outside the Beachbar I think it came down a drainpipe one night and my son nearly stepped on it. Havin g said that it slithered off so quickly that I missed my photo opportunity. Please do not let it put you off as AMI is beautiful.
Old 17 Aug 11, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
kbabble
Helping Mickey

I totally understand. I feel exactly the same and am seriously considering having hypnotherapy to try and cure myself of my snake phobia. A few weeks ago I walked past some snakes in tanks in an aquarium with my eyes shut and my hubby guiding me past and then i burst into floods of tears in public and made a total idiot of myself. So I have decided "enoughs enough!" and I plan to try the hypnotherapy thing. I have been to Florida twice so far and not seen any snakes but it is always lurking in the back of my mind. We are hoping to visit AMI this year too. I hope you go and i hope you have a lovely "snake free" time
kbabble is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 11, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Last July we were in the sea at Anna Maria Island and I was about waist deep in water when a local teenager said to me "look snake" and pointed in the water as something brushed past me - well I shrieked and ran, for the beach. DH came after me asking what was wrong and I said there was a snake in the water and he burst out laughing I had misheard the boy and he'd said "snook" (big fish) not snake!

I've seen 2 real snakes on AMI both times they were small, black and looked like boot laces and they slithered away when we got near. Apparently the snakes keep the lizard population down.
Old 17 Aug 11, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Stoneyred
Excited about Disney

That picture has even freaked me out! If there is a chance of encountering a snake in an aquariaum, zoo, pet shop I send my DH in first to check or there is no way I'm going in.

Newport Bay Club 2004 DLP,Sheraton Vistana Resort 2006, Worldquest Resort 2008, Lake Buena Vista Village Resort & Spa 2009, Cypresse Pointe 2011 Villa Highgate Park 2014
Stoneyred is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread