Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Aug 15, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Aearin
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
It is pretty good but bear in mind it is just a petrol station
Yeah i seen that lol. I'm a vegetarian and most places don't cater so i get bits and bobs from random places as a lot of American chains etc don't even have a single option. The bakery part of it sandwiches/pizzas etc looks appealing
Aearin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aearin View Post
Yeah i seen that lol. I'm a vegetarian and most places don't cater so i get bits and bobs from random places as a lot of American chains etc don't even have a single option. The bakery part of it sandwiches/pizzas etc looks appealing
All joking aside its actually very good, it has a build your own on screen order station, you put what you want in and bingo they will make your order up and shout your number.

Coffee is pretty good too

The ATM machine inside also has no charges
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

I remember going to Jungleland down the 192 years ago and came out feeling so upset - those poor, poor animals - awful conditions. I hope they ended up in decent homes wherever they went

But the other end of the 192 I think is ok - yes there are a few tacky gift shops but there are new restaurants popping up all the time. We stay just off Old Lake Wilson Road so around there and Formosa I think is pretty smart.

But yes, I agree - shame about the other end.

And are they ever going to do anything with the old Splendid China land? Last time we drove down there (about 5 years ago) it was all gated up and looked really spooky.
Old 24 Aug 15, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Mobile

Where were at Fantasy World last week...lots of good stuff around...Olive Garden and Bob Evans were excellent on our doorstep, Want and Walmart around the corner... Krispy Creme was good...still enough good stuff there if you are staying there.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gepetto View Post
I remember staying in the Lakeside Sheraton (Now Best Western Lakeside) in 1981………………that area then was so undeveloped, nothing at all around the hotel but now as you say it is very vibrant.

G
Best Western Lakeside is actually Maingate Lakeside now.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 15, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Wink

Very good point about Disney and Disney guests, why would you go off site when you already have a good choice that you have already paid for.

Going way back some of the communities to the east of Poinciana on 192 (east of the big Orange) were the modern communities and the place to stay (Chatham Park, Indian Point etc). Whereas now you have HR, Linfields, Champions Gates etc which have more modern homes, 192 at Formosa Gardens is what the east side of 192 used to be like.
We stayed at both Chatham Park and Indian Point "way back when" and now tend to stay in Davenport, so I guess we don't spend as much time on the 192 as we used to. Having said that, we still make a point of visiting the crazy golf and of course SWMBO spends plenty of time (and money) at Wal Mart.
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 15, 03:11 AM  
Link to this Post
svt153
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I remember going to Jungleland down the 192 years ago and came out feeling so upset - those poor, poor animals - awful conditions. I hope they ended up in decent homes wherever they went

But the other end of the 192 I think is ok - yes there are a few tacky gift shops but there are new restaurants popping up all the time. We stay just off Old Lake Wilson Road so around there and Formosa I think is pretty smart.

But yes, I agree - shame about the other end.

And are they ever going to do anything with the old Splendid China land? Last time we drove down there (about 5 years ago) it was all gated up and looked really spooky.
I read that splendid China is being developed onto jimmy buffets margaritavillage. Not sure if this is correct though.
Old 25 Aug 15, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Originally Posted by svt153 View Post
I read that splendid China is being developed onto jimmy buffets margaritavillage. Not sure if this is correct though.
You are correct, work has already started on what will be a huge, high end time share resort.

Debra
Old 25 Aug 15, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
SteveyJ
Imagineer

All joking aside its actually very good, it has a build your own on screen order station, you put what you want in and bingo they will make your order up and shout your number.

Coffee is pretty good too

The ATM machine inside also has no charges
Off topic but do you know what the maximum withdrawal is?
SteveyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 15, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
When we stay offsite we always stay at Comfort Suites Maingate East, which is a great hotel in a pretty vibrant area.
The West end of 192 is becoming very well developed and not at all run down. We noticed last visit (Feb 2015) that the very first hotel we stayed in (a Day's Inn) which had been derelict for a while, has been pulled down. I suspect that it will spark a new development too.
If you venture down the East end you'll hit the real downtown Kissimmee which has a lovely lakeside area for picnics and barbecues. We were actually invited to join some locals at their barbecue when we visited in August 2014.
Don't be afraid to venture off the beaten track.
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread