Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 May 17, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
fillmore
Trying for More Ears

Disneyland plans

Hi everyone

A few Disneyland related questions! I have finally decided to get a SoCal card which will give us a 3 day park hopper plus Legoland. We also get SeaWorld with that which we probably won't use but there was a $46 difference between a 2-day park hopper plus legoland and a so cal card so I thought it was worth it!

We will be at Disney in August arriving late afternoon on a Thurs, all day Fri and as long as we can manage on Sat before leaving to check in at our hotel in Newport Beach. Initial plans are to see Cars Land at sunset and just see what happens on the Thursday, early start on Fri to get RSR fastpasses and full day in parks with an afternoon hotel/pool break (at the HoJo) then check out of hotel early, load all stuff into car and spend as long as we can in the parks on the Saturday.

We haven't been to WDW before so I'd love to do a character breakfast for DS (aged 7). I am going round in circles trying to work out which one to do...any thoughts? So far plaza inn, Surf's up and Goofy's Kitchen are in the mix.

DS is a fidget and finds waiting difficult. He's ok if there's something to do or if he can move. DH doesn't like crowds how am I going to do WOC? I can't see either of them wanting to wait for an hour+ for it to start. I was tempted by the dessert party but that is $$$$$$

DS has already decided he's not doing Indiana Jones because it's too scary...but is more than happy to go on California Screamin (I'm not! ) and I need to convince DH with bad back and slight issue with thrill rides that there will be some he might even want to go on.

We are watching a film a week now in the run up to it and it is Mary Poppins this weekend as DS has never seen it. I've been singing 'Let's go fly a kite' all week
Old 20 May 17, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
tinkerbelll
Apprentice Imagineer

We did surfs up last time. Boys loved it, they were 7 and 10 at the time. Ds2 is a huge stitch fan and stitch came round 3-4 times just to see him. He was dressed in a stitch t-shirt. Best character breakfast we have done interaction wise. Food is just ok but they are all like that.

If he doesn't like crowds my advise is to be there really for rope drop as the parks get very busy from about 11 onwards.
tinkerbelll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

We did Surf's Up breakfast last year and really enjoyed it but I think as your time is limited in the parks I would go for Plaza Inn. It also has more character than Surfs Up. You're going early August correct? If so the parks will open at 8am so maybe go and get a few rides in first while the park is a little quite and then book a late breakfast for 9.30 - 10am.

With regards to WOC there may be a way around the waiting and the queues. Option one would be to view it from by California Screaming. It's a side on view so you don't get the full effect of the screens but you would be able to see the fountains. The other option is get a fastpass and have just one person queue to start with. Then come back as your about to enter. Also we have used our rucksacks spread out a bit to barricade us a bit of space while were waiting for parades and show before now.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

We went to Plaza Inn for breakfast and saw loads of characters. They didn't spend too long with us (2 adults) but the interaction was great with the children.
I don't like crowds either, to be more precise I don't like inconsiderate people in crowds so we went to the dessert party. It was great - plate of cheese and cake, couple of glasses of fizzy wine, a seat and no pushing/iPads/children on shoulders. Expensive - yes but I'd do it again. If I was going again I'd also look into the Aladdin's Oasis dining package as the Electrical Parade was really busy when we went. We went in February half term so crowds were higher due to Presidents Day.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
WOC will require some waiting , you need to be in position at least 30 mins before it starts . Even last year when we didn't. Need a FP as it wasn't busy we had to be there about 30'mins before the start , but most things in Disney will require a wait.

Quickest way to ride RSR is the single rider queue we never waited more than 10 mins , normal queue was always over 2 hrs .

Personally given your going at a peak time I don't think you'll have time to go back
To your hotel , I was there at spring break and last year when it was very quiet and both times we've needed 2 full days . Queues for rides this year when busy were around 30/40
Mins for most rides .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List