Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 May 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

I got a few Vegas deals from Travelzoo. Planet Hollywood Spice Market buffet on a BOGOF and High Roller unlimited drinks package for half price.

Those deals seem to be on all the time though so you could leave booking them til nearer the time when you might have more idea of your itinerary.
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

There's a number of activity discount cards that may or may not be worthwhile depending what you plan on doing e.g. the citypass and go cards.

We haven't tended to book too much in advance as it then limits flexibility but over last couple of trips have pre-booked the folllowing:

SF - Alcatraz (essential to reserve in advance).
LV - Tickets for Love (but because we got 2 for 1 tickets from myvegas. It would have been ok to wait and book when there).
LA - we bought Universal tickets in advance just to save on queuing on the day.
- Pre-booked whale watching down in Dana Point as it's half price every Tuesday.
- Reserved a slot at the Getty Villa (free but you have to prebook, and pay parking).
- Paramount studios

Edited at 11:15 AM.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 17, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
As per another thread I have got SF CityPass with Alcatraz option. Seems good value with 3 day Muni Pass.
Can I ask where from? Have you bought the Alcatraz tickets to upgrade when you're there and do you know how much the upgrade cost is
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lu Lu View Post
Can I ask where from? Have you bought the Alcatraz tickets to upgrade when you're there and do you know how much the upgrade cost is
Hi

If you go onto the City Pass site.

citypass/san-francisc...FVAQ0wod3KILNQ

Near the bottom you can select 'substitute Alcatraz'.

This takes you to another page, where you can see the deal. Basically it's exactly the same cost as the normal deal $89 for an adult. The only difference is you do the Alcatraz trip instead of the Blue and Gold Cruise.

On the page is a phone number for Alcatraz cruises. They will take your booking for the specific timed trip you want and then charge you. You can have the ticket shipped which costs a lot or pick it up on arrival. I would suggest you book Alcatraz for near the beginning of your stay so you can collect the pass and start your Muni public transport pass. This is especially true for us as we're only there for 3 whole days and the Muni Pass is for 3 days too.

There are some things they will tell you like 18 plus need a photo ID each to collect, treat like cash and don't rip the passes out of the booklet

I think as an alternative you can just book the cruise through the usual site and then upgrade it on arrival to a City Pass, but I wanted to know it was all booked and paid for.
Old 21 May 17, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Ah great thank you. Think we'll do the online option as not keen on making phone calls to USA - pricey! Anyhow it's good to know it's the same price as we were considering getting citypass but decided not to as it didn't include Alcatraz!

We're going to go to Alcatraz on our first morning after arriving so will swap the tickets out then too.

Thanks!
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 17, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lu Lu View Post
Ah great thank you. Think we'll do the online option as not keen on making phone calls to USA - pricey! Anyhow it's good to know it's the same price as we were considering getting citypass but decided not to as it didn't include Alcatraz!

We're going to go to Alcatraz on our first morning after arriving so will swap the tickets out then too.

Thanks!
No problem.

Happy planning!
Old 25 May 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Hi

If you go onto the City Pass site.

citypass/san-francisc...FVAQ0wod3KILNQ

Near the bottom you can select 'substitute Alcatraz'.

This takes you to another page, where you can see the deal. Basically it's exactly the same cost as the normal deal $89 for an adult. The only difference is you do the Alcatraz trip instead of the Blue and Gold Cruise.

On the page is a phone number for Alcatraz cruises. They will take your booking for the specific timed trip you want and then charge you. You can have the ticket shipped which costs a lot or pick it up on arrival. I would suggest you book Alcatraz for near the beginning of your stay so you can collect the pass and start your Muni public transport pass. This is especially true for us as we're only there for 3 whole days and the Muni Pass is for 3 days too.

There are some things they will tell you like 18 plus need a photo ID each to collect, treat like cash and don't rip the passes out of the booklet

I think as an alternative you can just book the cruise through the usual site and then upgrade it on arrival to a City Pass, but I wanted to know it was all booked and paid for.
Is there no way to book this online? I am going round in circles and it doesn't even show the price... Feel like doing something else it's so frustrating.
Old 25 May 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Myakka Lodge View Post
Is there no way to book this online? I am going round in circles and it doesn't even show the price... Feel like doing something else it's so frustrating.
You can buy the non Alcatraz City Pass on line but not the Alcatraz one.

I made a call to US for a few minutes to book and pay for it. Appreciate this will cost a few £.

The alternative for website booking is to book the Alcatraz tour only through the official site and then when you get there you can pay them the extra to upgrade it to a City Pass.

Old 25 May 17, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post

We enjoyed the Big Red Bus (as in the ones seen in London) when we went to SF last- saved a lot of walking & got to see the sights we'd not seen before. Booked before we went. We also saved money by booking Alcatraz before going.
Revolving cable-car in PS is worth going up. We paid on the day, but there might be offers online. It's a given, Disney tickets before you go to save time when there.
Have a fab time...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 17, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
short2005
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
If you have a car as the OP does there is no need to book a tour for pawn stars etc .
You see no more on the tour than if you just turn up and all are free bar Ricks which charge I think $5 per person , and I think if you buy something in the shop you don't have to pay for the tour .
I've done all many times and never paid for any .
Thanks good to know if we were to go back. We were on a long road trip in 2014 and with DH being the only driver I wanted to book a few tours that enabled DH to relax and enjoy without the driving. We really enjoyed the Annie Bananie tour (pawn stars etc),the guide was amazing he went above and beyond the normal tour guide,he introduced us to different people that have appeared on some of the shows and he also took us to the LV sign on the way back for photos.
The op has asked for tour recommendations and Annie Bananie was for us one of the best tours we have been on .
Enclave Suites 2005, Terra Verde 2007,Watersong 2008, Calabay Parc tower lakes 2009, New York and Sandy Ridge 2010, Highgrove 2012, New York and Windward Cay 2013 California and Las Vegas Road Trip 2014,Tuscan Hills Feb 2016 Calabay Park Tower Lakes Sept 2016 Route 66 Sept 2017 Southern Road trip Sept 2019
short2005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List