Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 May 17, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We booked good price deal into/ out of LA with BA as it was too good to pass up... well that's my excuse.

We had 3 weeks to fit in and certain places we wanted to see - PCH, San Francisco, Yosemite and San Diego. That gave us a rough route and then we needed to decide where to stay and for how long.

It was apparent that for us leaving California was not an option or we wouldn't spend enough time in the individual places we wanted to see.

The most complicated part for me was the section between Yosemite and San Diego. We booked stops in Lone Pines and 29 Palms, to give us Death Valley, Mojave Preserve and Joshua Tree.

We are gradually filling in bookings for attractions etc so have booked a day at Knotts Berry Farm and a Yosemite Valley Tour.

The most complicated one for me to decide on is San Francisco as there are so many options for tours and multi attraction tickets.

Really looking forward to it.

Happy planning.
Old 15 May 17, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookle
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks all - I think it's more than likely we'll go for three weeks so hopefully we can fit in most of what we want to do (if not we'll adjust plans to suit - like maybe knock off Las Vegas/Grand Canyon and do another trip for that at a later date).

I guess flights are bothering me as can't look at them yet and not sure where to fly to but I guess I can see which is the best option and switch our route around to suit.

Good tip about not doing a one night stay anywhere. We'd be looking to drive from LA to Grand Canyon which is about 7/8 hours I think on our current route but perhaps we'd be better doing a fly into LA then up to SF, through Yosemite, Death Valley and fly out of Vegas (with a short trip to GC). So much to think about!

Also thanks for the tip about booking accommodation ASAP. I've heard that about Yosemite so one of the reasons I am trying to start the planning way before the flights are out.
Old 15 May 17, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

We had initially wanted to fly into LAX and out of Vegas BUT the Vegas flights were far too expensive. So we booked return Man- LAX with Thomas Cook in PE and were able to choose our seats straight away.
Old 15 May 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pookle View Post
Thanks all - I think it's more than likely we'll go for three weeks so hopefully we can fit in most of what we want to do (if not we'll adjust plans to suit - like maybe knock off Las Vegas/Grand Canyon and do another trip for that at a later date).

I guess flights are bothering me as can't look at them yet and not sure where to fly to but I guess I can see which is the best option and switch our route around to suit.

Good tip about not doing a one night stay anywhere. We'd be looking to drive from LA to Grand Canyon which is about 7/8 hours I think on our current route but perhaps we'd be better doing a fly into LA then up to SF, through Yosemite, Death Valley and fly out of Vegas (with a short trip to GC). So much to think about!

Also thanks for the tip about booking accommodation ASAP. I've heard that about Yosemite so one of the reasons I am trying to start the planning way before the flights are out.
You've got some long drives there ! and unless you are flying from LV - SF you maybe doubling your route.

I would fly into LA, up PCH to SF , Yosemite, DV and then Vegas with GC.
Old 15 May 17, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
We flew into LAX, stayed over for 3 nights, drove the PCH to SF, stayed 3 nights, back down to LA for 3 nights then drove to Vegas for 4 nights and flew home from Mcarren.
Old 15 May 17, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Pookle View Post

What I would say about drives is google maps way underestimate how long the drives take imo .

Every year for 6 years we've drive Vegas to Goodyear Arizona .. google maps say 4 hr 20 mins ( 280 miles ) we've never done it in less than 5.5 hrs and we've done it at various times of day /night .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I agree about Google maps - it once told us 7 hours for a Canadian trip. It was actually nearer 11

We are going at Christmas. We got very cheap flights into San Diego (via LHR) and currently are thinking 3/4 nights at Palm Springs or Joshua Tree and then 8/9 nights in SD. But we hate moving hotels so in 12 nights this is more than enough!

This may yet change as the kids don't yet know and they may throw a spanner in the works if they beg to go to LA or Disney (me and DH are so not Disney )

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 17, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ginger ninja
Imagineer

ginger ninja's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
I've flown into LAX 3 times and never had a problem , this year it took about a hour probably to get through immigration but that was mostly down to the kiosks rejecting 3 of our passports as they had less than 6 months left ( we expected that and tried to say we couldn't use them but we're told to anyway )

The other times we've been at the car hire depot within a hour of landing .

Vegas airport has been much slower for us .
Wish it was that quick for us in April 3 hrs to get to the hire car

ginger ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List