Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 May 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
muffa2308
Imagineer

1st timer Vegas. Tips please

Hi,

Almost talked the mrs into a cheeky Vegas trip. The dates are this year December 15th for around 4/5 nights. Don't want to break the bank on hotel but want to be on the right bit of the strip. Any advice such as hotel, weather, what to see and do would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
muffa2308 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Have a read of a few trip reports, its a great way to get a feel for the strip and what you can achieve in a 4-5 day period.

For a first trip, centre strip would be ideal. A couple of the cheaper hotels available in that area are Planet Hollywood & the Linq. If you are willing to walk a bit more & stay further south then you have the Excalibur & Luxur which are normally some of the cheapest on the strip.

Personal favourites of mine which can be found at a good price are NYNY & MGM, again a bit further south but my favoured area. Make sure you allow for resort fees in your budget, these are payable per room and can be around £35 a night.

In December, I imagine you can get a good deal. I know a colleague of mine last year managed a week at the Luxor with resort fees included & direct flights from Virgin for £500 each.

As far as things to do, the strip will keep you amused for your time, there is so much to see in each hotel! Some free, some chargeable.

If you do want to explore further then the Grand Canyon is the obvious day trip, you can get a bus, a helicopter or hire a car & drive yourself. Red Rock Canyon is also beautiful. There are shopping outlets north & south of the strip too.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Originally Posted by muffa2308 View Post
Hi,

Almost talked the mrs into a cheeky Vegas trip. The dates are this year December 15th for around 4/5 nights. Don't want to break the bank on hotel but want to be on the right bit of the strip. Any advice such as hotel, weather, what to see and do would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Shop around for your hotel as prices and offers can vary drastically.

Go for mid strip as if you are at either end it is a looooong way to the other, though there are transport options. Try to fit the GC in, amazing.
Old 17 May 17, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Weather wise it will most likely be chilly if not cold . Pools shut around the end of October for winter .

Therefore I can't imagine any of the hotels being very expensive at that time .

Imo if you stop anywhere between the MGM corner and the Wynn your fine , wherever you stop you will walk a lot .

Personally I wouldn't stop in the Luxor , Excalibur , flamingo all need a good refurb

As for the canyon .. that might be dependant on weather but a bus trip to the south rim will take a full day , as it's 4-4.5 hrs each way . If you only go for 4 nights that's a big chunk of your trip gone . The west rim is nearer at 2.5 hrs each way we did a helicopter trip to there takes up about 1/2 day in total .

We always have a car .. many don't but I wouldn't be without one .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Here at the moment. My fourth time. My best advice would be centre strip. Planet Hollywood and Linq as Abi suggest. We also stayed in a Jubilee at Ballys and loved it. If you want more expensive options just ask. We go in Jan and can be chilly and a bit of rain. Less crowded though. Honestly would not bother with car hire unless you are going to GC which is amazing.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
In winter I'd definitely have a car and with 4/5 days you'll see far more with a car...When its cold in Vegas its bitterly cold, I've had snow there once. At least with a car you wouldn't have to walk so far. I love Vegas but walking the strip when its cold is miserable in my experience.

As for hotels sign up to Total Rewards/MLife/Smarter Vegas etc and you'll get offers emailed to you pretty much weekly..
Oh and sign up to the Venetian they also email offers pretty much weekly.. And the nearer you get to going the better the offers will be as its a off peak time.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 17, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Are you just staying on the strip for the few days you will be there? I have not been in December but Jan was just a bit chilly. Couple of days t shirt days. Not very cold though. Would check out the average daily temperature for Vegas for December which you probably have
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 17, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
muffa2308
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
In winter I'd definitely have a car and with 4/5 days you'll see far more with a car...When its cold in Vegas its bitterly cold, I've had snow there once. At least with a car you wouldn't have to walk so far. I love Vegas but walking the strip when its cold is miserable in my experience.

As for hotels sign up to Total Rewards/MLife/Smarter Vegas etc and you'll get offers emailed to you pretty much weekly..
Oh and sign up to the Venetian they also email offers pretty much weekly.. And the nearer you get to going the better the offers will be as its a off peak time.
When would you suggest best time to book? Deal around £700 5 nights in New York New York, will it get any cheaper?
muffa2308 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 17, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Who's that with ? I know there's a BA sale on now but I've not looked at there package prices tbh . That's not a bad price for 5 nights though and the NYNY is a lovely hotel I've stayed there and definitely would again .

I would also look at pricing it up DIY , I got a email last night from the Venetian 33% off .. doesnt go up far enough for you yet but there will be offers.
Old 18 May 17, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by muffa2308 View Post
When would you suggest best time to book? Deal around £700 5 nights in New York New York, will it get any cheaper?
Have you looked at Expedia. We did 5 nights at the Bellagio in February with BA flights from Glasgow and paid £635. We booked about 6 months beforehand.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List