Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 May 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Disneyland California & Hawaii

Thinking of booking this for 2018 but have never been over to the west coast before. Anyone travelled here from the UK able to offer any advice.

I was hoping for flights from Manchester indirect to Hawaii then spending no more than 4/5 nights there before heading east via california for another 5/6 nights at Disneyland. 2 adults and 1 child (5 years old). Not even sure on the best time of year for weather / avoiding US holidays 😁 We would ideally like to stay at Aluani but fairly flexible with the California resort / hotel.

Edited at 04:47 PM.
mikeclark007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

We're looking to do this for the first time next year too 🙂

So far our plan is direct return flights London to LA. Two nights at Universal, 3 nights Huntington Beach, 3 nights Grand Californian for Disney, drive down to San Diego for flight to Hawaii, 3 nights Hilton Hawaiian Village, 4 night Aulani, fly back to San Diego and stay there for 5 nights, last 2 nights at Beverley Hills.

Wow that seems a lot when I put it down like that 😂

We're doing the Hawaii stay in the middle as the flights are quite long, we've been there before in between Las Vegas and San Francisco and that worked well for us.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Mobile

Yeah that's slightly more than our more basic plan of attack.

I think I can get direct to LAX from Manchester but then unsure what to do from there to continue the journey to Hawaii.

Is the board basis like everywhere else in the US - room only with an upgrade to B&B if your lucky?
mikeclark007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

The usual chains that offer free breakfast still do in their Hawaiian sites. I've found Waikiki Beach surprisingly cheap. That said, there are so many food options I wouldn't choose a hotel with free breakfast unless the price was amazing, as I'd rather sample the non standard offerings.

We are doing

Two nights Seattle
Three nights Maui
Three nights Waikiki
Three nights Aulani
Six Offsite Disneyland
Three nights San Diego

Home from LAX.

I think! Have yet to book flights or hotel (except Aulani) for the Hawaii element.
Old 20 May 17, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Mobile

Wow that's 2 full itineraries. Is it not worth me going all that way just to take in Hawaii and California do you reckon? I have 2 weeks in mind.
Old 20 May 17, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mikeclark007 View Post
Wow that's 2 full itineraries. Is it not worth me going all that way just to take in Hawaii and California do you reckon? I have 2 weeks in mind.
We are looking to do the same as you next year. We are limited on dates as my parents will be looking after my 5 kids so I have to work around them.

We are planning to fly Heathrow to LAX then straight on to Hawaii to stay for 6 nights. Then fly back to LA and stay for 3/4 nights and then back to Heathrow.

Was thinking of staying at Disneyland (on or offsite) and maybe popping to Hollywood but won't overload the itinerary as its meant to be a relaxing break

Edited at 07:14 PM.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

I'd question whether it's worth the extra travel time - over 5 hours flight from LA to Hawaii for just a few days there, especially with a 5 year old.
We did Hawaii and Vegas for honeymoon (going back a few years now) - we spent 10 nights on Waikiki beach at Hilton Hawaiian village, from there we did Pearl Harbour, island tour and Polynesian centre (which was a fun touristy place teaching you to dance the Hula etc). We also did a day trip to the Big Island to get up close to active volcano with flowing lava within touching distance (amazing) then 4 nights Kauai Marriott (again an island tour there to see the mini Grand Canyon and lots of film locations) then 5 nights vegas on way home. We flew United Airlines as they did free stop overs at the time and even adding BA to London worked out cheaper than other airlines. If you are just looking for beach time from Hawaii I'd be inclined to say spend it on LA beaches and save Hawaii for when your little one is older and do everything the islands have to offer. It is so cheap and easy to Island hop you could easily spend a whole holiday there. We stayed room only in the hotels and found lots of cheap breakfast and dinner places just outside as I seem to remember the Hilton breakfast was pretty pricy. We did a separate holiday to west coast USA and again struggled to fit everything in 3 weeks. There is so much to see and do on the west coast. Hoping to take the kids in the next few years too. Good luck whatever you do
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Mobile

Wow that's 2 full itineraries. Is it not worth me going all that way just to take in Hawaii and California do you reckon?

I had 14 days in mind max.
Old 20 May 17, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mikeclark007 View Post
Wow that's 2 full itineraries. Is it not worth me going all that way just to take in Hawaii and California do you reckon?

I had 14 days in mind max.
I don't think I would for a fortnight, personally. Not for such a short time on the islands (with all the extra travelling time).
Our first west coast trip was three weeks, didn't have anything like enough time to see everything, and we didn't attempt Hawaii! California is jam packed with amazing places to suit every type of traveller.
Old 21 May 17, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Tbh I'd stick to California with a 5 yr old. The time difference and long flight can be hard enough to adjust too without adding in another flight to Hawaii..

You could easily fill 2 weeks in California, Disneyland for a few nights, Knotts Berry, California Science Centre & Space Shuttle , all the lovely beach resorts around there, San Diego with the Zoo, Legoland , Vegas etc..
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List