Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 22 May 17, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

:) Is this normal? Speak sense to me about room cleaning! :)

Hi!

I've scared myself and I need some good sensible Dibb common sense (I think).

I had a quick look on the accommodation threads on one of the American forums, and they're talking about taking anti-bac wipes to the hotel, wiping down all surfaces, bringing their own pillows and sheets, putting the TV remote in a ziploc so you use it through the plastic, even taking a swiffer to anti bac wipe the floors in the new wooden (lino?) floor rooms.

Is this really necessary? I sometimes bring old flip flops to wear around hotel rooms, but that's more because I don't like the feel of some of the synthetic, scotch guarded carpet that is used rather than worry over germs. I've never wiped down a hotel room or bought my own bedding before!

I live in London and hold the rail on buses and trains without smothering myself in alcohol rub, and I consider my immune system pretty sturdy (touch wood) but really don't want to come down with a bug if I can avoid it while on my holidays.

My question - are the people on the board I read just VERY germ conscious, or is this the norm?!

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Definately not the norm, they sound nuts.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I take flipflop type slippers on all hols, and the first thing I remove is the throw (or those strips of material made to look like a throw!) off the bed as I don't think they get cleaned each time! I've never taken our own bedding etc or zip lock bags, but I take wipes to do the bathroom door handles etc I always carry hand gel everywhere too - I guess its the nurse in me!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
Hi!

I've scared myself and I need some good sensible Dibb common sense (I think).

I had a quick look on the accommodation threads on one of the American forums, and they're talking about taking anti-bac wipes to the hotel, wiping down all surfaces, bringing their own pillows and sheets, putting the TV remote in a ziploc so you use it through the plastic, even taking a swiffer to anti bac wipe the floors in the new wooden (lino?) floor rooms.

Is this really necessary? I sometimes bring old flip flops to wear around hotel rooms, but that's more because I don't like the feel of some of the synthetic, scotch guarded carpet that is used rather than worry over germs. I've never wiped down a hotel room or bought my own bedding before!

I live in London and hold the rail on buses and trains without smothering myself in alcohol rub, and I consider my immune system pretty sturdy (touch wood) but really don't want to come down with a bug if I can avoid it while on my holidays.

My question - are the people on the board I read just VERY germ conscious, or is this the norm?!
er NO
Old 22 May 17, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Never taken anything, never had the need.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

I don't do any of those things and it hasn't done us any harm.

I do take anti bac hand gel around with me but that's just because I like to be able to clean our hands if we're going to have a snack or something.

Maybe these people have stayed in some really unclean hotels 😳
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Well, I don't know about going to such extreme lengths but I know people on here wipe down every thing and their mother with anti-bac wipes. Personally I don't do anything. As you say when you go about your daily life, buses, trains, Starbucks et al the furniture is possibly teeming with bugs, hopefully you build up an immunity. The only thing I wash out again and run through with clean water is the coffee -maker and that more so 'cos I use it to make tea!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I take anti bac wipes and wipe over the surfaces, especially the trays on the plane, always have hand gel with me anyway and always either wash the pots and cutlery or run them through the dishwasher.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney2010
Imagineer

Disney2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
I do think that many Americans are definitely hyper-sensitive when it comes to germs. It is not uncommon to see American parents washing their hands in the bathrooms only to then put anti-bacterial gel on their & their children's hands as they are walking out of the bathrooms!
I cannot understand the logic - You have literally just washed your hands!

I understand germs are everywhere but I have never stayed in a hotel & come away with head lice or a staff infection,
There is being cautious & then just being crazy!

But it takes all sorts to make the world go around, I guess x
Old 22 May 17, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Erm nope and ive never been ill yet!
Def agree, some people are far to germ concious and you can bet your bottom dollar they get more coughs and colds than us!
We are def a nation of clean freaks and i think exposure to a few bugs builds up our immunity!
I know the thought of how many bugs are on door handles etc is scary but its not harmed me yet! My parents have survived into their late 70s without using handgels etc so im not going to worry about using them either! The chemicals in them are probably worse for you than the germs!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List