Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 May 17, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

Food recommendations

As much as I love to go with the flow on holiday, we often find that we end up wandering aimlessly trying to find something to eat and then go somewhere expensive and poor and so I am hoping to have a few recommendations up my sleeve for our trip.

If anyone has any that meet the following criteria in the right places I would love to hear them!

What we need:
Places that don't cost the earth - i know it's not cheap to eat in the US but don't have a never ending budget!
Places that welcome children - aged 10 and 7
Places that have a good childrens menu (not just burgers, chicken strips and pasta, although that would be OK for some as long as not all meals)
Different types of cuisines are fine but my kids won't sit down and eat Chinese/ Japanese etc so that's out for us unless we get takeaway.
Places that don't charge a fortune for wine :-)

We are staying in:
San Francisco - 3 nights
Monterey - 3 nights
Pismo Beach - 1 night
Los Angeles (very north in Tarzana) - 3 nights
Las Vegas - 4 nights (I will be using myvegas rewards to get some bogof buffets and maybe some restaurant credit here)

Thanks all!
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 17, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Vegas buffets aren't great value for kids imo . The 10 yr old will have to pay adult prices . Even with BOGOF buffets the costs for the 2 your paying for can be more than paying for 4 off strip .

In Vegas if you have a car eat off of the strip sometimes it will save you a fortune . Strip buffets for 4 at night on the strip cost us 4 about $140.. off strip ( 10 mins away ) at South Point for example the buffet costs us 4 about $60 .
Egg works off the strip is good value too.

Denny's / In N out burger / Pinks Hot dogs / smash burger / Panda Express / outback / Hooters/ Planet Hollywood /Cabo Wabo /Margaritaville are places we eat in Vegas but yes the children's menus are limited as they are anywhere . Buffets if we have them are always off strip at South Point / Red Rock / Green Valley as they are so much cheaper .

LA has all the usual chains too and prices the same as elsewhere from what I've seen when I've been there.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 17, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBelle1105
Excited about Disney

You definitely need to try In N Out burger. Bubba Gumps, they have lovely ones in SF and Monterey.

The best place we have EVER eaten is at Grand Central market in Downtown LA. Google it, its all kinds of amazing!
2002- Tampa Villa/Kissammee Villa ~ 2010- Doubletree Orlando International Drive ~2011- Disney's All Star Music Resort~2011- DLP Hotel Cheyenne~2013- Davenport Orlando Villa~2014- Davenport Orlando Villa 2015 - Kissimmee Villa/Longboat Key 2016 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside 2017 -Disneyland Hotel California 2017 -Disney's Beach and Yacht Club/Hard Rock Hotel Universal/Fort Myers Villa 2019 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
DisneyBelle1105 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
In N Out burger is fab , costs us $22 for the 4 of us , excellent value .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 17, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Paying attention here.

In n out Burger sounds great and we already love Denny's.

SF Bubba Gumps would be nice. Enjoyed the one at City Walk in Florida.

Old 23 May 17, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

The Cheesecake Factory. They will do a half / kids portion of almost all of their main meals (and there are A LOT!). It's superb value, massive portions and you can get Cheesecake to go if you are too full!

There are several in LA & Vegas. It's probably my favourite place to eat in LA - the Marina del Rey one is in a lovely setting on the harbour. There is a beach with a kids playground too where your younger ones can let off some steam!

Crappy phone pic I took in Dec !

Edited at 06:31 PM.
rusty30 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 17, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Paying attention here.

In n out Burger sounds great and we already love Denny's.

SF Bubba Gumps would be nice. Enjoyed the one at City Walk in Florida.

Smash burger at the South Outlets in Vegas is fab too , cost us $52 for 5 adult meals but well worth it . Much nicer than the likes of Five Guys.
Old 23 May 17, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

My kids really liked Mon Ami Gabi (Paris) and Nine Fine Irishmen (NY) (and were made extremely welcome at both places).
Old 23 May 17, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Smash burger at the South Outlets in Vegas is fab too , cost us $52 for 5 adult meals but well worth it . Much nicer than the likes of Five Guys.
Sounds nice.
Old 23 May 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

For SF we enjoyed Pier Market on Pier 39 and also Boudin's Cafe was pretty good. Both have a children's menu.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List