Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 21 May 16, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
I'm fine with tipping, except the dining supervisor person. Drives me nutty! In fact on my first cruise I refused!
Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
I disagree, our head server was extremely helpful and made sure the dining room flowed smoothly.
I absolutely agree with Caron. Your Head Server may not be very visible, but they ensure around 10 tables are served on time, they deal with allergies, intolerances and any issues you may have. They are worth their weight in gold and have generally worked their way up from Assistant Servers.

I would say that you are not fine with tipping if you refuse to tip on a cruise. It's cruise standard and I would hope that if anybody had any complaints about service, they allowed the cruise line to address it before removing any tips.
Just removing them is plain wrong.
Old 23 May 16, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
PAUL7331
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
Just out of curiosity - what happens to people who don't tip ?
When I first cruised I read that you must go to guest services onboard and advise them if you do not wish to tip - I wonder how many people do this !?
I wouldn't opt out as I see it as just part of the overall cost of the holiday . But have often wondered about those who don't pay.
I've wondered about this too. Do they know who you are and single you out for poor treatment? Spit in your food?

What about the people who remove the tips at the end of the cruise on the second to last day to play it safe? Do they get away with it?
PAUL7331 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 16, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Ours rarely even surfaced on the Dream, hence no tip.
The Magic last year we did tip him. I think its fair to make your own decisions based on service. I think it isn't fair to enforce a set fee if you don't feel the service was worth it.

We tipped our English Server in GBP
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 16, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post

...and in reply to commenting on the service, I don't really like any form of confrontation- and would feel that if we had mentioned this the service would have been forced, rather than natural customer service.
Do your job properly
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 16, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
PAUL7331
Excited about Disney

Ours rarely even surfaced on the Dream, hence no tip.
The Magic last year we did tip him. I think its fair to make your own decisions based on service. I think it isn't fair to enforce a set fee if you don't feel the service was worth it.

We tipped our English Server in GBP
if you remove tips do carnival give envelopes upon request so you can tip people who you feel have earnt it? When did you remove tips if you don't mind me asking? On first or last day?
Good idea bout the GBP by the way!
PAUL7331 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 16, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

...and in reply to commenting on the service, I don't really like any form of confrontation- and would feel that if we had mentioned this the service would have been forced, rather than natural customer service.
Do your job properly
Confrontation is very different to asking for an issue to be addressed. It's an excuse and a poor one at that sorry.
If you have an issue, go to guest services and tell them about it, you're not asking for a fight, just letting them know that there is an issue you would like addressing.
If it's not sorted after that, then remove the tips, but to do it just because someone didn't grace your table every night us bewildering.
Especially on the Dream when the cruise length is short and the amount of passengers is high, it would be very difficult for a HS to visit every night, especially if they have a table or two with special requests or needs.
Your mind is not for changing on what you have done, but give it a thought next time you have an issue as its only fair to let them rectify it.
Old 25 May 16, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by PAUL7331 View Post
I've wondered about this too. Do they know who you are and single you out for poor treatment? Spit in your food?

What about the people who remove the tips at the end of the cruise on the second to last day to play it safe? Do they get away with it?
What exactly do you feel people are 'getting away with'?
Just imagine that you worked for tips only and some people removed their tips because they 'don't agree with it'. You've done nothing wrong yet they've deprived you of your wages because of their own beliefs.
Or perhaps they've removed them as they feel you've done something wrong .. But instead of letting someone know so you can put it right, they just remove the tips.
If you are going to cruise, then please understand that it is cruise standard to tip and cruise standard to let guest services know if you have an issue.
Removing people's wages is neither nice nor fair unless you've tried to sort it out.
Old 26 May 16, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
PAUL7331
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bats;11640917[B
]What exactly do you feel people are 'getting away with'?[/B]
Just imagine that you worked for tips only and some people removed their tips because they 'don't agree with it'. You've done nothing wrong yet they've deprived you of your wages because of their own beliefs.
Or perhaps they've removed them as they feel you've done something wrong .. But instead of letting someone know so you can put it right, they just remove the tips.
If you are going to cruise, then please understand that it is cruise standard to tip and cruise standard to let guest services know if you have an issue.
Removing people's wages is neither nice nor fair unless you've tried to sort it out.
Your question - What exactly do you feel people are 'getting away with'?

My answer - Not paying the tips. If it's an option some wont pay them.

If it's standard practice then to tip on cruises why don't they just make it compulsory? Or just add the extra on to the cost of the cruise?
Then pass this on to the staff who 'live' on tips perhaps?
Remove the option and remove the argument. Simples!

Edited at 07:23 PM.
Old 26 May 16, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

We very rarely tip in the UK. But it's just how it is in the US and a lot of other countries we've been to.

At first when I read the amount I was a bit shocked, but in reality it's not that much. If we were eating at TS restaurants we would be tipping a lot more overall. As long as the job is done properly and any issues are sorted then I don't see why anyone would have a problem with tipping. It's just how it is in that country.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 16, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
We very rarely tip in the UK. But it's just how it is in the US and a lot of other countries we've been to.

At first when I read the amount I was a bit shocked, but in reality it's not that much. If we were eating at TS restaurants we would be tipping a lot more overall. As long as the job is done properly and any issues are sorted then I don't see why anyone would have a problem with tipping. It's just how it is in that country.
And that probably sums it up correctly .. when in Rome and all that.
I'll close this thread now as it's not going anywhere but in circles.