Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Sep 16, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Anyone else think Universal is overdoing the 3D/4D film thing?

It just seems to me that pretty much all the attractions added since I last visited are now 3D films with/without moving vehicles.

Transformers, T2, Minion Mayhem, Shrek, Gringots, Forbidden Journey, Kong, Spiderman,

Just seems to me universal are replacing 'real experiences' with 3D Film based attractions:
e.g.
Jaws was replaced with Gringots
Kong Frontation - Kong

Disaster! is being replaced with Fast and Furious
Twister is being replaced with Race through New York

All of the existing are great attractions but is there a point where there are too many. The phrase 'Oh god, not another 3D film' was muttered by members of my party.
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
SWEN
Very Serious Dibber

SWEN's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 17
It didn't feel like it the last time we were there, but once you start listing the rides it does seem like a lot.

1990-WDW and Clearwater. 2003-Orange Lake Resort
2006-Sheraton Vistana Resort. 2007-DLP
2008-Orange Lake. 2011-Villa Buenaventura Lakes
2014-OKW&Sheraton Vistana. 2015-Old Key West
2017-OKW&Hilton Grand Vacations
2018-Saratoga Springs
SWEN is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I'm a bit gutted about the amount of 3D rides, particularly the Harry Potter ones because I'm a big fan of Harry Potter! I do suffer from motion sickness quite a bit. Do any of the rides require the person to wear those 3D glasses? I only ask because I can't see 3D films as I've got a problem with my eyes that prevents me.

Edited at 05:43 PM.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Actually, i made a mistake with Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. That's not actually 3D projections, although the style of the ride / film projection still fits with my original question.

The newer hollywood and Japan versions are 3D requiring 3D "Quidditch" goggles , I wouldn't be at all surprised if the orlando version got updated to 3D in the future.

The Gringotts is 3D with Glasses.

Your given the glasses in the queue, no one would force you to wear them you could just hold them. Or just refuse them when offered I would guess.

Edited at 05:51 PM.
Old 12 Sep 16, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by SWEN View Post
It didn't feel like it the last time we were there, but once you start listing the rides it does seem like a lot.
It more that all new / announced future attractions follow this same mould.
Old 12 Sep 16, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Mobile

Ah, I'd probably have to not wear them. I've tried watching a few 3D films at the cinema and just can't see the effect at all and then because it's blurry I get a migraine. I can't see it with the glasses off either obviously but it would save a migraine!
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DJMC
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
Ah, I'd probably have to not wear them. I've tried watching a few 3D films at the cinema and just can't see the effect at all and then because it's blurry I get a migraine. I can't see it with the glasses off either obviously but it would save a migraine!
You can get glasses that cancel the 3D effect so you can watch the movie in 2D without the blur
DJMC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Burny Sizz
slightly serious Dibber

Yes as I can't enjoy rides like that as it makes me nauseous. Roller coasters are fine for a few rides but 1 ride of a 3D simulator and that's it. Minion mayhem for instance is horrific for it I came off green. Won't go on any of them now.
Burny Sizz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

i think its just the way rides/experiences are going, there are only so many coaster configurations and they have 2 of the best ones already imo

having said this i do think they missed a trick with gringots which would have made a fantastic indoor coaster if based on the actual carts used in the film (one appears in the ride) rather than a ride/stop/watch screen which they came up with...

the forbidden journey is/was far more innovative
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
You can get glasses that cancel the 3D effect so you can watch the movie in 2D without the blur
Oh that's great thank you!
Closed Thread