Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Apr 18, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bentlsa View Post
His is at least a step in the right direction. More needs to be done to protect children from the dangers of social media it all grew too quickly without being properly thought out. If my girls were younger they wouldn't even have a smartphone until they were 17 !
I hope you aren't serious. My girls are 11 and 15, without smartphones they would have very few friends here in Florida since our move in July. They also would have lost touch with most of their old friends and family in the UK as expecting them to write letters is pretty pointless now. My oldest has used Facebook to build relationships with family members she hasn't even met and other teenagers with the same disabilities she has. Social media has been very positive for her. They also use their phones as cameras and for looking up school work regularly.

WhatsApp is perfect for us keeping in touch with people in the UK for free and I certainly won't be deleting it from my 11 and 15 year olds' phones.
Old 26 Apr 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
16 seems a rather random age to go for. Under GDPR regulations the age of consent for someone to be able to give explicit consent for their data to be processed is 13.
Not quite true. The GDPR specifies 16 (initial drafts did have 13, but this was upped in the final draft) but allows member countries to legislate for lower ages as long as that age is not below 13. Ireland, for example in July 2017, has legislated it at 13.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
WhatsApp is perfect for us keeping in touch with people in the UK for free and I certainly won't be deleting it from my 11 and 15 year olds' phones.
Completely agree with you. Look on the bright side, as you live in the US the age is 13, so you're 50/50

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by pad406 View Post
Which is why I explicitly stated them as being unwilling as they could not monetize it, and to be GDPR compliant it's easier for them just to exclude under 16's.
But it's not about them monetizing the personal data. Facebook (and other social media) exists to allow people to share personal data - that's the whole reason it's there. There wouldn't be any point in using Facebook if it didn't store/process/display personal data.

The ability to use contacts is a convenience for the user and a blessing for the provider as they get access to information that they may not otherwise.
The ability to use contacts is required. Again, it's the whole point of WhatsApp and what makes WhatsApp different to other messaging apps - it allows you to contact friends and family using their contact details such as phone number/email address, etc.

Yes, there are different ways of contacting people, but that's not the point of WhatsApp.

Requiring it and needing it are 2 different things. Even for subscription members, I am one, they do not need my personal information.
I assume you use an "online identification name" to log in so that the site knows you are you? I assume you had to provide an online payment method to pay for your subscription? These are examples of "personal data".

(And, btw, you don't have to choose the autorenewal option. You can just make a one off payment each year)

Not really true. If you confirm you're over 16 you continue as normal. If not then you're back to square one.
"Continue as normal" means processing your data (as normal) though.

I thought you were saying that websites like Facebook and the DIBB don't have to "process personal data" at all? If so, then they would have to delete *everyones* account and get them to create new accounts that don't include any "personal data".

Or are you only talking about under-16s?

I suppose they could continue to process the personal data of those over 16 but not process the personal data of those under 16 (including not providing any means of identifying, either directly or indirectly, the person under 16). In which case, they would need to delete the account of all under-16s and get them to create new anonymous accounts that had no links to their old account and no means of identifying the natural person (no photos, no real names, no location, no links to family/friends, etc). Which considering sites like Facebook are all about identifying who you are and what you do, would somewhat defeat the purpose of them. And good luck in policing those rules about under-16s not providing/sharing identifiable personal data.

It is such a complicated area. I feel for people that actually have to implement and ensure compliance.
Oh, I agree. Which is why it's easier to just stop providing a service for those that it would be difficult (by which I mean, "requires additional effort") to ensure compliance.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:52 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List