Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Apr 18, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Ohana2020
Trying for More Ears

How small should we go?

Currently pricing up car hire.

We will be a party of 5 - 4a 1c (4yo)

Last time we had two cars (just 4a then) so that we could split to different parks/attractions on different days more easily.

We will likely do the same - however I'm trying to work out how small we can go for our car (2a 1c).

If we all travel somewhere together there will be a wheelchair (folded) and a stroller - however this will only be on around 4 or 5 days out of the 18.

Trying to work out whether to just get two standard cars and suck it up with two parking fees if we go to the same park, or to go SUV on one and standard on the other.

We drive a 5 seat Scenic at home which would be big enough to take all 5 + wheelchair and stroller. Do they do something similar? I'm guessing it would be SUV either small or intermediate.

We'll likely be hiring from Alamo and will pick up and return at MCO. It'll work out as 19 days hire due to dropping off later in the day than we're picking up.

Prices atm seem to be around £600-£700 on Alamo Brits - seems a lot... I think it might be doing as 2 weeks + 5 days which seems to pump the price up.

Any advice gladly received

TIA
Ohana2020 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Not sure on your dates, but have you priced up Alamo through Virgin Holidays/Atlantic?

When I booked back in September for our upcoming trip in the summer, these were half the price of Brits/DFCH/Auto Europe etc. (this is for 18 day hire). Even now they are still £200 cheaper (for Standard SUV).
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
Not sure on your dates, but have you priced up Alamo through Virgin Holidays/Atlantic?

When I booked back in September for our upcoming trip in the summer, these were half the price of Brits/DFCH/Auto Europe etc. (this is for 18 day hire). Even now they are still £200 cheaper (for Standard SUV).
We found the same too, Virgin was much cheaper and still able to do skip the counter.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Ohana2020
Trying for More Ears

Thanks for the replies.

Have had a look at a much closer date (this Sunday) and prices are a lot lower. I wonder when the best time to book is?

We will be doing everything ourselves (flights/villa/hire/tickets all separate)... not sure if you can do that with VA?

Looking at rates I'm stuck between a Kia Soul (or equiv) for £375 and a Rav4 for around £450. It equates to about £4 per day so might be worth it just for the extra room.

Dates are April 2020 for 19 days - obviously can't price up precisely yet!
Ohana2020 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by Ohana2020 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Have had a look at a much closer date (this Sunday) and prices are a lot lower. I wonder when the best time to book is?

We will be doing everything ourselves (flights/villa/hire/tickets all separate)... not sure if you can do that with VA?

Looking at rates I'm stuck between a Kia Soul (or equiv) for £375 and a Rav4 for around £450. It equates to about £4 per day so might be worth it just for the extra room.

There's a separate booking page for Car Hire through Virgin (no need to have any other booking with them, and you also get Virgin airmiles):

virginholidays/tra...-hire/overview

With regards to "when" to book, the earlier the better is usually the best advice. Also book one that allows free cancellations or amendments so if it does drop you can either re-book it or amend it without losing out
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ohana2020 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

In two years time chances are there will be various new models, and prices will vary due to exchange rates etc from today’s rate especially with the big event in Britain’s calander next year.
But going forwards I’d change your search from “ how small can we go” to” how big can we afford”.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

last time we went with friends, there were 6 people (3 couples)

we all got the smallest car available, apart from one of us, who got a 7 seater SUV. we split the extra cost between us and had it so that several of us were insured to drive it... that way when we went out and did things together we only needed one driver, and could split the parking cost of a single car between us.

hth
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. As a very frequent car hire person my advice to you is as follows
Get a price from VA for a stand alone hire 15 or 16 months out.
Then bang on 12 months out hit all the normal suppliers and do the comparisons.

That will give you the answer. But, ensure you go with a company that allows free cancellations (most do) so if the price drops you can cancel and rebook.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 18, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Ohana2020
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Resurrecting an old thread.

DMIL is not really able to get into a high car (a la SUV). It occurs to me a standard estate car would fit the bill - do such things exist in Alamo generally (Station Wagon I think?)
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

I have never seen a station wagon in the Alamo fleet. Why not go for a 7 seat minivan such as a Town and Country, not as high as an SUV and plenty of room!

Edited at 12:27 AM.
Greyfriars is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List