Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Apr 17, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

If you need any questions about trains in Japan answered...

Please just let me know, as it's my favourite subject!

Anything from Shinkansen to getting around Tokyo, to getting to and from the airport.

I am currently planning the second trip and will be going on even more trains than last time.

If you are thinking of getting the rail pass and have questions, again please post them, or even train etiquette!
kevin_cambs_uk is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

How was that series on NHK about trains I told you about, as god as hoped?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Hi Kevin, I'm still a little bamboozled regarding suica/pasmo and whether they work out better than buying a day pass! I've been staring at the metro map all morning! We'll be spending the day going from Shinjuku to Asakusa, then to Akihabara, then to Nakano Broadway then back to Shinjuku before going to our tokyo bay hotel.
HUGE Thanks in advance!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
How was that series on NHK about trains I told you about, as god as hoped?
Fascinating, I am still ploughing through the episodes! . I found them all on You Tube there is I think about 32 already.

I have already decided that we may go to the MAGLEV museum, but its tricky cause the running days are only announced a few weeks before, but we are now definitely going to Hokkaido on the E5, all the way up though Aomori. Really interesting as its the first Shinkansen line that has to use conventional tracks through the tunnel from Honshu to Hokkaido, and how the Shinkansen has to slow down and how they are working to get around that.

We are also going to visit the railway café that they shoot it from while were in Tokyo, but the fascinating things so far have been how they train the staff, how they all do the same training, and then decide on which role they are best suited, and how it makes for a better team of staff as there is no us and them between roles.

Its really been great, and more to watch! Cheers mate
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess_chazy View Post
Hi Kevin, I'm still a little bamboozled regarding suica/pasmo and whether they work out better than buying a day pass! I've been staring at the metro map all morning! We'll be spending the day going from Shinjuku to Asakusa, then to Akihabara, then to Nakano Broadway then back to Shinjuku before going to our tokyo bay hotel.
HUGE Thanks in advance!
No worries!

I will have a look, but how many days are you in Japan for and what are your rough plan overall, as it may make a difference on the best method.

Kev
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
Old 30 Apr 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post

We arrive the Friday but will be late so no need then. Saturday Harajuku/Roppingi. Sunday Akhiabara & Nanako. Following Friday Ginza.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Haven't got any plans to go to Japan yet, but are looking forward to the next trip reports you do. Loved your last one

Happy Planning

Lesley and Melvin
Old 30 Apr 17, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by princess_chazy View Post
We arrive the Friday but will be late so no need then. Saturday Harajuku/Roppingi. Sunday Akhiabara & Nanako. Following Friday Ginza.
I assume you will be getting the bus to your hotel in Tokyo bay?

Do you know which hotel please?
As for example my hotel for my next trip has a station linked to it but I won't be using that one!
Old 30 Apr 17, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melvin Pearce View Post
Haven't got any plans to go to Japan yet, but are looking forward to the next trip reports you do. Loved your last one

Happy Planning

Lesley and Melvin
Thanks for that, I am looking forward to it more than last time !
Old 30 Apr 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Hi Kevin
I have a couple of train related questions for you. My husband is very keen to take a ride on the Shinkansen, not to go anywhere specific, more for the experience of going on the train. We were thinking of going to Odawara on Sunday 7th May. Would this be an easy journey to do? We'll be staying at the Tokyo Hilton Shinjuku at this point.
Also on the day before we come home, we will need to get from the Disneyland Hotel to Haneda (staying overnight at the airport for an early morning flight). Any thoughts on the easiest way to do this?
Many thanks.