Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 May 17, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
Hi Kevin
I have a couple of train related questions for you. My husband is very keen to take a ride on the Shinkansen, not to go anywhere specific, more for the experience of going on the train. We were thinking of going to Odawara on Sunday 7th May. Would this be an easy journey to do? We'll be staying at the Tokyo Hilton Shinjuku at this point.
Also on the day before we come home, we will need to get from the Disneyland Hotel to Haneda (staying overnight at the airport for an early morning flight). Any thoughts on the easiest way to do this?
Many thanks.
Here we go,

Getting back from Shinjuku to Haneda, there are a few possibilities, however, I tend to go for the simplest way.

You could get the Airport Limousine bus back from your hotel, directly to the airport, but if you prefer train, I would take the Yamanote line from Shunjuku to Shinagawa, and then from Shinagawa take the Keikyu Main/Airport Line Rapid Ltd. Exp. for Haneda.

Shunjuku to Shinagawa will take aout 18 minutes, and Shinagawa to Haneda is around 14 minutes. But please have a look yourself, and make sure you are comfortable with it, as you can easily get lost!. I would pay a visit to Shinagawa to make sure I knew where the line was and also the train line direction. One thing is that you tend to see a lot of people with suitcases at trains that go to the airport.

Now there may be more direct routes, however having a look at these require more changes at stations along the way, which when with luggage you probably want the least amount of changes, which is less hassle.

As for the Shinkansen journey, well there is a load of places you could visit for the trip, the question you need to ask, is how long I want to travel in each direction?

The other thing to note, is that you will be best served by going to Tokyo station, frm Shunjuku, on the Chuo Line Raid service, and then you can get the Shinkansen, either east, West or North.

Going to Odawara, will take you on the Tokaido Shinkansen line and would be spot on for a little run out there and back. Don't forget to buy your Bento box before you get on!
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princess_chazy View Post
Hi Kevin, I'm still a little bamboozled regarding suica/pasmo and whether they work out better than buying a day pass! I've been staring at the metro map all morning! We'll be spending the day going from Shinjuku to Asakusa, then to Akihabara, then to Nakano Broadway then back to Shinjuku before going to our tokyo bay hotel.
HUGE Thanks in advance!
The problem you have, is there are so many ways to get from point A to Point B, you can change many times, but its quicker or you can take the slower route, which will have less changes but takes longer.

For example.

Shunjuku to Asakusa.

Fast.

Shinjuku to Ochanomizu on the chuo rapid service.
Then change here for the Chuo Local service to Tsudanmua and then get off at Asakusabashi. Then get on the Toei Subway Asakusa Line for NARITA AIRPORT TERMINAL 1, and get off at Asakusa Subway.

Simple route

Yamanote line from Shinjuku to Ueno, then at Ueno, change to Tokyo Metro Ginza Line for ASAKUSA.

Asakusa to Akihabara, is very easy, take the Toei Subway Asakusa Line for NISHI-MAGOME from Asakusa to Asakusabashi, then take the JR Chuo/Sobu Line Local Service for MITAKA to Akihabara.

Nakano Boradway is also on the Chuo line, so you can get from Akihabara to Nakano Station without changing, and then from here get the same line all the way back to Shinjuku.

As for the Suica/Pasmo, these are the same as Oyster cards, however in Tokyo the railway system is operated by three different companies, the Tokyo Subway, Tokyo Metro and the JR Railway(Chuo and Yamanote etc). All three require individual tickets if you were to buy a ticket based solution, but the PASMO and SUICA cards allow you to travel between them all seamlessly.

Now the Suica/Pasmo, require a 500 Yen deposit and then you top up with an amount such as 500, or 1000 yen and then you fill them up, all very easy as he machines are in English, its an option you select, top right on the screen

A Tokyo Metro One Day Pass, will only allow you to travel on the Tokyo Metro, which may be restricting. Having a look on Google, there is the Tokyo Furii Kippu (Ticket) which allows all day travel on all the lines, You can take JR trains (except JR express trains), Toei subways, Toei streetcars, Toei buses and Tokyo Metro as many times as you want. These are 1580 yen. To see if that is worthwhile as opposed to a Suica would mean totting up all the individual tickets about where you go on a given day. So if you plan to travel the above in one day then get the all day ticket, but as you say in your second post, you would visit one or two destinations at most in one given day, then the all day ticket would not be economical.

There is a lot to take in there, so have a read, and a think, if it's worth anything, I personally would just get the Suica card, and then if plans change or you can't do all the trips in one day then you have not lost anything. You can also use the Suica card to buy from some vending machines as well!. We also brought ours back as a souvenir, as I was not bothered about returning for the 500 Yen, which was about 4 quid, but we can also use them again when we go later this year!
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
FairyMagic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Hi Kevin, I am looking at a cruise that will finish in Yokohama, what is the best way to get to the Tokyo hotel? I am thinking of 2 or 3 days Tokyo followed by 2 or 3 days in Disneyland as I have read that it is easy to get from Disney to the airport.
FairyMagic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

Hi Kevin
I will be spending 4 days travelling around Tokyo but will also be doing a trip out to mount fugi and also travelling down to Osaka and then Hiroshima.
Would would be my best bet in regards to rail cards for this.
We are 2 adults and 2 children 6 and 11
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FairyMagic View Post
Hi Kevin, I am looking at a cruise that will finish in Yokohama, what is the best way to get to the Tokyo hotel? I am thinking of 2 or 3 days Tokyo followed by 2 or 3 days in Disneyland as I have read that it is easy to get from Disney to the airport.
Do you know which hotel in Tokyo please?
Old 1 May 17, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by willmatt View Post
Hi Kevin
I will be spending 4 days travelling around Tokyo but will also be doing a trip out to mount fugi and also travelling down to Osaka and then Hiroshima.
Would would be my best bet in regards to rail cards for this.
We are 2 adults and 2 children 6 and 11
A one way ticket from Tokyo to Hiroshima is around £85 for an adult, based on todays exchange rate, so there and back will be about £170.

I assume that you will not be visiting Osaka and Hiroshima on the same day, as Hiroshima is a very long way away, and you will pass through Osaka, but if stop off by the time you get to Hiroshima, it will be time to come back.

So assuming you will do Osaka and Hiroshima on different days, then you are looking at £130 for a return ticket to Osaka.

So for 2 journeys of one adult, you are looking at £300, or there about. A 7 day Rail Pass, will only cost around £200 for one adult.

Also if you do get the pass, you can ride all of the JR trains in Tokyo, such as the Yamanote line all for free as we. I based my pass around the maximum number of destinations in the 7 days, so if you plan to go further afield, then it is very worth while.

As for Mount Fuji, I am not so sure what you want to do there, as its quite a large area, it might be an idea to explore the Fuji Five Lakes area and pin down what you want to do exactly.
Old 1 May 17, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FairyMagic View Post
To get from the cruise terminal in Yokohoma to Tokyo, you can walk to the nearby Nihon Odori station of the Minato Mirai Line. From there, you can ride all the way to Shibuya station (40 minutes) or you can transfer at Yokohama station (4th stop from Nihon Odori) onto a JR Tokaido Line train that takes you to Tokyo station (25 minutes). The Tokaido line is the bullet trains as well.

The only downside is that its about 7 minutes walk from the cruise terminal to Nihon Odori station, but I have not yet been so I am not sure what the terrain is like, but I would have a look on Google maps and 'walk' the journey to make sure, otherwise, you could print off the station name in Japanese, and get a Taxi, and show him your destination, which is what I did when visiting Shizuoka and it was too far to walk to the destination!
Old 1 May 17, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
A one way ticket from Tokyo to Hiroshima is around £85 for an adult, based on todays exchange rate, so there and back will be about £170.

I assume that you will not be visiting Osaka and Hiroshima on the same day, as Hiroshima is a very long way away, and you will pass through Osaka, but if stop off by the time you get to Hiroshima, it will be time to come back.

So assuming you will do Osaka and Hiroshima on different days, then you are looking at £130 for a return ticket to Osaka.

So for 2 journeys of one adult, you are looking at £300, or there about. A 7 day Rail Pass, will only cost around £200 for one adult.

Also if you do get the pass, you can ride all of the JR trains in Tokyo, such as the Yamanote line all for free as we. I based my pass around the maximum number of destinations in the 7 days, so if you plan to go further afield, then it is very worth while.

As for Mount Fuji, I am not so sure what you want to do there, as its quite a large area, it might be an idea to explore the Fuji Five Lakes area and pin down what you want to do exactly.

Thanks for this 👍
As we are flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka we will be actually travelling from Tokyo to Osaka one way and then a few days later Osaka to Hiroshima return.
Also what would be my best option of travelling around Tokyo from our base at shinjuku?
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by willmatt View Post
Thanks for this 👍
As we are flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka we will be actually travelling from Tokyo to Osaka one way and then a few days later Osaka to Hiroshima return.
Also what would be my best option of travelling around Tokyo from our base at shinjuku?

You can then see if the rail pass works for you or not. We stayed at Shinjuku in the hotel
Century southern tower

We bought suica cards from the train station which was easy and then used the Yamamote and chuo lines daily to get around.

Shinjuku station is massive but if you know which exit you want then getting out will be a lot easier

We worked out that if we were going clockwise on the Yamamote line then we needed to be in the last car of the train as it was right at the southern exit and right at the hotel area

When we started and just got any car on the train, getting out was a long walk as it's so big it's easy to get lost! But I enjoyed it so much i never minded.
Old 1 May 17, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
Here we go,

Getting back from Shinjuku to Haneda, there are a few possibilities, however, I tend to go for the simplest way.

You could get the Airport Limousine bus back from your hotel, directly to the airport, but if you prefer train, I would take the Yamanote line from Shunjuku to Shinagawa, and then from Shinagawa take the Keikyu Main/Airport Line Rapid Ltd. Exp. for Haneda.

Shunjuku to Shinagawa will take aout 18 minutes, and Shinagawa to Haneda is around 14 minutes. But please have a look yourself, and make sure you are comfortable with it, as you can easily get lost!. I would pay a visit to Shinagawa to make sure I knew where the line was and also the train line direction. One thing is that you tend to see a lot of people with suitcases at trains that go to the airport.

Now there may be more direct routes, however having a look at these require more changes at stations along the way, which when with luggage you probably want the least amount of changes, which is less hassle.

As for the Shinkansen journey, well there is a load of places you could visit for the trip, the question you need to ask, is how long I want to travel in each direction?

The other thing to note, is that you will be best served by going to Tokyo station, frm Shunjuku, on the Chuo Line Raid service, and then you can get the Shinkansen, either east, West or North.

Going to Odawara, will take you on the Tokaido Shinkansen line and would be spot on for a little run out there and back. Don't forget to buy your Bento box before you get on!
Thank you. Will definitely be getting Bento boxes, it's all part of the experience isn't it.