Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 May 17, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tanzanite View Post
Kevin you will enjoy the Hayabusa train are you going to stay in Hakodate? We stayed at a beautiful hotel on the beach in Hakodate one night .We visited the fish market in the morning was wonderful sampled fresh Sushi and the famous Hakodate Melon .Love the Hakodate train station some beautiful shops nearby spent a lot of money love Hakodate. When are you going cant wait to hear about it .
At present just going for the day but really looking forward to see a really different side of Japan

It will be great as you settle in easier the second time!
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 17, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
At present just going for the day but really looking forward to see a really different side of Japan

It will be great as you settle in easier the second time!
Hakodate is beautiful love all the trams in the town decorated so beautifully.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 17, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
doombuggy
Excited about Disney

Kevin_Cambs_uk:

We will be taking the Shinkansen (not sure which one) from Tokyo to Kyoto in October. We are traveling for 2 weeks in Asia and I will have 1 large suit case - it's about 28 inches high. Is this going to be a problem on the train you think?
1974-1983 WDW day trips*1992 WDW*1994 Contemporary*1997 WDW*1997 Poly* 1998 DL PAC*1999 DL DH*2000 Coronado/PO*2001 WDW*2002 DL DH*2002 WDW HHB*2003 POR*2003 WDW HHB*2004 Moved to Orlando*2006 DVC*2006 DLR*2007 DVBR*2007 OKW*2007 VWL*2008 GCH*2009 BLT*2009 AKL*2010 OKW*2010 SSR*2010 DLP DLH*2011 BLT*2011 AKL Kidani*2012 BWV*2014 Aulani*2015 VGC*2017 VGC*2017 VGF*2017 SDL & TDR*2019 HKDL Hollywood Hotel*2020 Contemporary TPV
doombuggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 17, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by doombuggy View Post
Kevin_Cambs_uk:

We will be taking the Shinkansen (not sure which one) from Tokyo to Kyoto in October. We are traveling for 2 weeks in Asia and I will have 1 large suit case - it's about 28 inches high. Is this going to be a problem on the train you think?
I don't think so, the seat area on the bullet train is very large compared to a British train, plus all the seats face forward and there are no tables so with 2 seats you can easily manoeuvre your tall case between you.

If you google on board Shinkansen for you tube vids you can see, you want the Tokaido Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto. Any thing else please just ask
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 17, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post

We always put our luggage behind the last seat in the car if the train is not to crowded .Oct is not a busy time so should be possible.
Old 5 Nov 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi kevin_cambs_uk
When you get a minute or two I wonder if you would be kind enough to help me with a bit of train help for our honeymoon for next year. This is our Japan itinerary:

Sunday 5th May 2018 (which I believe is a public holiday) we land into terminal 1 at Osaka Airport at 15:00, staying at the Ibis Styles Osaka (〒542-0084 Osaka Prefecture, Osaka, Chuo, Souemoncho, 2−13)so we will need some kind of airport transfer/shuttle.
Monday 7th May we were thinking of travelling to Kyoto early afternoon by train, staying at Monterey Kyoto (〒604-8161 Kyoto Prefecture, Kyoto, Nakagyo Ward, 烏丸通三条下ル饅頭屋町604).
Wednesday 9th May travel by bullet train from Kyoto to Tokyo, thinking around lunchtime-ish
Staying in Tokyo for 5 nights, staying at the Citadines Central Shinjuku (1 Chome-2-9 Kabukicho, Shinjuku, Tokyo 160-0021) and planning to spend 2 days is Disney, one in each park.
Monday 14th May we depart Tokyo Narita airport, need to check in around 9am.

Any help or advice will be a great help, very excited about our trip but also a little nervous of the transport system, language barrier etc. Thanks in advance.
Old 6 Nov 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ali83 View Post
Hi kevin_cambs_uk
When you get a minute or two I wonder if you would be kind enough to help me with a bit of train help for our honeymoon for next year. This is our Japan itinerary:

Sunday 5th May 2018 (which I believe is a public holiday) we land into terminal 1 at Osaka Airport at 15:00, staying at the Ibis Styles Osaka (〒542-0084 Osaka Prefecture, Osaka, Chuo, Souemoncho, 2−13)so we will need some kind of airport transfer/shuttle.
Monday 7th May we were thinking of travelling to Kyoto early afternoon by train, staying at Monterey Kyoto (〒604-8161 Kyoto Prefecture, Kyoto, Nakagyo Ward, 烏丸通三条下ル饅頭屋町604).
Wednesday 9th May travel by bullet train from Kyoto to Tokyo, thinking around lunchtime-ish
Staying in Tokyo for 5 nights, staying at the Citadines Central Shinjuku (1 Chome-2-9 Kabukicho, Shinjuku, Tokyo 160-0021) and planning to spend 2 days is Disney, one in each park.
Monday 14th May we depart Tokyo Narita airport, need to check in around 9am.

Any help or advice will be a great help, very excited about our trip but also a little nervous of the transport system, language barrier etc. Thanks in advance.
Okay if I read this right...

I cannot see any airport limousine bus service that takes you to your hotel from the airport directly, however I would do some more research if I were you just in case I have missed it. But if you cannot see one which I don't think there is you will have to go by train.

Now you will need to take the Nankai Limited Express from Osaka to Namba station and then walk from here to Dotonbori and your hotel location.

Now getting from Namba station to Dotonbori is not that difficult, but if I were you I would locate your hotel on Google Street view and 'walk back' to Namba station making sure you are familiar with the route. Getting out the station and trying to work it out when you are tired from the flight I would not recommend. Dotonbori and Namba is a network of streets and if you are not careful you could end up getting lost very easily.

When I arrived there on my second visit to Japan, I used the compass on my iPhone to orientate myself in the general direction. There are very few street names that you can navigate by.

Now the second part, if it was me, I would not bother transferring to Kyoto for another night, but would rather do a day trip to Kyoto from Osaka. To get to Kyoto you need to go from Namba station, to Shin-Osaka, and then get a Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto. The Shinkansen trip alone is on 15 minutes each way, so if you don't want to go to Kyoto and stay over that's an option, but if you do want to stay then its the same trip.

Take the Midosjui line, which goes directly from Namba station to Shin-Osaka. From here take the Tokaido Shinkansen to Kyoto.

Remember there is a JR Namba station and a Namba station, try not to get them mixed up.

When traveling to Shinjuku, then take the Tokaido Shinkansen from either Shin-Osaka or Kyoto to Tokyo and get off at Shinagawa. From here then take the Yamanote line to Shinjuku. Not the fastest way but certainly the easiest.

Getting to Disney is very easy, just follow the directions from the official site. Scroll down but its the Chuo line, then the Keiyo line.

tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/access/index.html

Now getting from Shinjuku to Narita is as easy as pie. You just need to get the Narita Express which departs from Shinjuku and take the train to Narita Airport. Now he earliest one is at 05:55 but the following link will give you a guide to the timetable.

eki-net/pc/jreast-shi...x_d/index.html

Now there is a massive amount of info to digest there so have a read, and then let me know if you have any questions.

I would suggest reading my trip report, as there is valuable info on 'how to use' the trains in Japan, but before you do anything use hyperdia to check that what you want is valid at the time you want to travel. I have made assumptions about the times etc and done a best guess estimate, but this may not be appropriate!

But like I said have a read, and have a look on Google maps, and then let me know any questions, no matter how insignificant you think they might be, it all helps make a better journey.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=990747
Old 6 Nov 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
Okay if I read this right...

I cannot see any airport limousine bus service that takes you to your hotel from the airport directly, however I would do some more research if I were you just in case I have missed it. But if you cannot see one which I don't think there is you will have to go by train.

Now you will need to take the Nankai Limited Express from Osaka to Namba station and then walk from here to Dotonbori and your hotel location.

Now getting from Namba station to Dotonbori is not that difficult, but if I were you I would locate your hotel on Google Street view and 'walk back' to Namba station making sure you are familiar with the route. Getting out the station and trying to work it out when you are tired from the flight I would not recommend. Dotonbori and Namba is a network of streets and if you are not careful you could end up getting lost very easily.

When I arrived there on my second visit to Japan, I used the compass on my iPhone to orientate myself in the general direction. There are very few street names that you can navigate by.

Now the second part, if it was me, I would not bother transferring to Kyoto for another night, but would rather do a day trip to Kyoto from Osaka. To get to Kyoto you need to go from Namba station, to Shin-Osaka, and then get a Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto. The Shinkansen trip alone is on 15 minutes each way, so if you don't want to go to Kyoto and stay over that's an option, but if you do want to stay then its the same trip.

Take the Midosjui line, which goes directly from Namba station to Shin-Osaka. From here take the Tokaido Shinkansen to Kyoto.

Remember there is a JR Namba station and a Namba station, try not to get them mixed up.

When traveling to Shinjuku, then take the Tokaido Shinkansen from either Shin-Osaka or Kyoto to Tokyo and get off at Shinagawa. From here then take the Yamanote line to Shinjuku. Not the fastest way but certainly the easiest.

Getting to Disney is very easy, just follow the directions from the official site. Scroll down but its the Chuo line, then the Keiyo line.

tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/access/index.html

Now getting from Shinjuku to Narita is as easy as pie. You just need to get the Narita Express which departs from Shinjuku and take the train to Narita Airport. Now he earliest one is at 05:55 but the following link will give you a guide to the timetable.

eki-net/pc/jreast-shi...x_d/index.html

Now there is a massive amount of info to digest there so have a read, and then let me know if you have any questions.

I would suggest reading my trip report, as there is valuable info on 'how to use' the trains in Japan, but before you do anything use hyperdia to check that what you want is valid at the time you want to travel. I have made assumptions about the times etc and done a best guess estimate, but this may not be appropriate!

But like I said have a read, and have a look on Google maps, and then let me know any questions, no matter how insignificant you think they might be, it all helps make a better journey.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=990747

Thank you so much for all this info, I’ll have a proper read and digest and will certainly send over any further questions if any crop up.
Old 6 Nov 17, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ali83 View Post
Thank you so much for all this info, I’ll have a proper read and digest and will certainly send over any further questions if any crop up.
No worries !

Enjoy
Old 7 Nov 17, 03:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Kevin isnt Hyperdia great on this trip i just returned from every evening i got to my hotel would figure time wanted to get train and would give it to train ticket agent on way to my next train journey in the morning for following day so much fun figuring out were to go each time i love planning the journeys .I went several trips in 2 weeks only missed one wanted to do because of Typhoon.