Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jan 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
kanickie
Very Serious Dibber

Vegetarians at Shanghai/HK

Hi guys,

I have been to Japan and massively struggled as a vegetarian. I ended up eating a LOT of carbs just to feel full. i practically survived off half egg sandwiches from Starbucks or crisps from 7/11. I tried some Japanese food but I think I ate fish a couple of times by accident (the thought of this really turns my stomach seeing as I've been veggie for 15 years!)

DH and I are both vegan now. We know that this will be a hard option to stick with but will try our best. I know in buddhist areas of Kyoto/Nara vegan food is a lot easier to come by.

Anyway, I know what to expect.
What I don't know what to expect is Shanghai and Hong Kong. We are planning on staying on Disney property for both SH and HK but am unsure of how we will manage. Anyone had any experience with this please? I have scoured the internet! SH's menus are online which makes things easier but HK is a complete mystery! If we have to eat vegetarian, not vegan, then we will compromise on that.

Thanks!
kanickie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I’m sorry I can’t help with your question but I’m going to Japan in July and have been vegetarian since I was 12 (28 years... ) I’m really worried about the food. I had heard that they put a lot of fish in sauces or add fish flakes. Can I ask, where did you eat? X
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I am going to HK this year and have been looking at the Hong Kong Tourism website. The link below leads you to where you can find vegetarian food.

discoverhongkong/ca/d...vegetarian.jsp
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
kanickie
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I’m sorry I can’t help with your question but I’m going to Japan in July and have been vegetarian since I was 12 (28 years... ) I’m really worried about the food. I had heard that they put a lot of fish in sauces or add fish flakes. Can I ask, where did you eat? X
DisneySea is best for vegetarians. There's a restaurant called Ristorante de Canelleto on the italian waterfront that did a great set vegetarian meal. Disneyland has one at East Side Cafe but I think we ate in Ikspiari (disney village) that eve at another italian place.
If you are going to Universal Osaka then be prepared.. there was nothing in the park. I had to go to guest services and they said that there was ONE veggie option at the Steakhouse of all places! Again, we ate just outside in their version of City Walk at the Hard Rock Osaka. Great veggie menu there.
Good luck! It is challenging like I said. Most italian places will do Margarita etc but you need to do some prep! Happycow is a good resource.
kanickie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
kanickie
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
I am going to HK this year and have been looking at the Hong Kong Tourism website. The link below leads you to where you can find vegetarian food.

discoverhongkong/ca/d...vegetarian.jsp
thanks!
Old 26 Jan 18, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kanickie View Post
DisneySea is best for vegetarians. There's a restaurant called Ristorante de Canelleto on the italian waterfront that did a great set vegetarian meal. Disneyland has one at East Side Cafe but I think we ate in Ikspiari (disney village) that eve at another italian place.
If you are going to Universal Osaka then be prepared.. there was nothing in the park. I had to go to guest services and they said that there was ONE veggie option at the Steakhouse of all places! Again, we ate just outside in their version of City Walk at the Hard Rock Osaka. Great veggie menu there.
Good luck! It is challenging like I said. Most italian places will do Margarita etc but you need to do some prep! Happycow is a good resource.
Thanks for the info!
When I first went to islands of adventure in 2000 the only thing I could find to eat were fries and carrot cake... sounds pretty similar to universal Japan!

Sounds like I’m either going to get thin from not being able to eat anything or really fat from living off pizza and fries! 😂
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List