Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Dibb Brides (+1) Do Salzburg - February 2018

While not a trippie per se, I thought I would share some piccies and details of my recent trip to Salzburg that I went on with two of my loveliest friends who also happen to be Dibbers - Tabitha and Sophie!

It was an interesting trip as Sophie was 5 months pregnant at the time so it did require a change of pace! We didn't know that she was pregnant when we booked but she was an absolute trooper and it didn't affect our plans too much!

We flew out on Friday 23rd February with Ryanair from Stansted to Salzburg and returned with Eurowings on Sunday 25th February, staying for the two nights at the Wyndham Grand Salzburg. The flights were booked back in May so were not too expensive, and the hotel was booked a couple of months later, and sharing a triple room with breakfast came to £291 for all three of us, so it was a good budget trip.

The hotel was fantastically located near the main train station, conveniently near McDonalds (we didn't eat very culturally!) and a large bus hub to help us get around the city. The service was a bit iffy on arrival as they were so focussed on preparing for a big conference and didn't seem to pay a lot of attention to their other customers, but once we were in, everything was fine. The rooms were large (a plus when travelling with friends) and the breakfast was excellent, one of the best hotel breakfasts I've ever had actually. For the money, it suited us very well. I didn't take any photos of the room, I'm afraid. #DibbTrippieFail

The main aim of the trip was to see the sights of The Sound of Music, but we of course couldn't miss the other sights along the way!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 18, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
The Sound of Music

Untersberg Mountain

This is the mountain that was used for the filming of the 'hills are alive' and 'escape from the Nazis' scenes. It was enormous (as you'd expect) and very beautiful but given the time of year and recent heavy snowfall, very white! There was in fact a moment where we nearly walked off the cliff edge because the white levels were just blending in. We kept firmly next to a wall after that.

It was easy to get to the mountain, just a single bus ride from the main train station which took around 30 minutes. It was very worth it!

We took the cable car up the mountain which was around €20 per person return from memory, and it was well worth it. A highlight for us all!

IMG_7382 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7352 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7381 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7380 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7379 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7378 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7375 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7372 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7357 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

VYHA7897 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7462 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

The Abbey

IMG_7438 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7434 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

The views from the Abbey were beautiful

IMG_7431 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

This is where the children went to the Abbey to ask to see Maria after she left the Von Trapp villa

IMG_7436 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Mirabell Gardens

This is where the majority of the Do Re Mi scenes were filmed - there was some definite re-enactment. It was partially closed with it being winter but we saw most of it, you can get the gist from these pictures :

IMG_7393 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7416 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7412 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7411 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7401 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7400 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7399 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7397 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Other Sights

This was where Max rehearsed for the music festival with the children. The festival halls were less than 1 minute to the right, as pictured below

IMG_7341 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7340 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

This was the cemetary that the 'hide from the Nazis' scene was based on, these scenes were actually filmed in a studio:

IMG_7338 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

We didn't do any of the out of town 'stuff' other than the Mountain, because we didn't have a car and weren't too 'fussed'. The only things I think we missed of those were the real Von Trapp villa and the one used in the film, and the gazebo where 'I am Sixteen Going on Seventeen' was filmed.

I was not always as knowledgeable about The Sound of Music, but I found a fantastic book that gave us a walking tour, also negating the need to pay for an expensive guided tour.

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 18, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
The Other Sights of Salzburg

I got some Mozartkugel (basically marzipan covered in dark chocolate) from the place that invented them, Café Furst! - I wasn't keen but my husband enjoyed them!)

IMG_7429 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

And we also visited the Hotel Sacher for some Sacher Torte from the place that invented it! This was about €14 each with a hot drink

IMG_7417 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7421 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

I had strudel, because I am not keen on dark/rich chocolate

IMG_7420 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

This is the fortress and Monastry that you can access via funicular, though we didn't do this as we weren't too fussed and being uphill it was a struggle for poor Sophie

IMG_7339 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7335 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

The Cathedral

IMG_7332 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

There is a famous Christmas shop that has the most beautiful Christmas (or in this case, Easter) decorations, all hand painted and not badly priced, though none of us bought any

IMG_7331 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7330 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7329 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Glockenspiel Tower - when the chimes ring, they aren't bells but glockenspiel which sounded so cute!

IMG_7328 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Marking that Old Town is a UNESCO world heritage sight

IMG_7327 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Statue of Mozart close to his birthplace and where he lived

IMG_7326 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Other sights that we saw

IMG_7337 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7336 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7334 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7333 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7324 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7323 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7322 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

The Views

IMG_7425 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_7423 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Salzburg is not a large city and it is easily covered in 2 days. It is definitely worth a visit though!

As I say, not really a trippie but a summary/review of our mini break and hopefully it'll help anyone planning a trip to Salzburg in the future!

Thanks for reading!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 22 Mar 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
We went to Salzburg last October, it was beautiful, we had a great time. It looks like you enjoyed it too. Some fab photos, it looks very cold though!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
We went to Salzburg last October, it was beautiful, we had a great time. It looks like you enjoyed it too. Some fab photos, it looks very cold though!
It was but we were wrapped up for it! Thanks for reading!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 25 Mar 18, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Looks great. You've given me an idea for a future weekend break. I love the sound of music.
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Nesbits View Post
Looks great. You've given me an idea for a future weekend break. I love the sound of music.
Then you’ll love Salzburg! We had a great time! Thanks for reading!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 25 Mar 18, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Lovely photos. I love Salzburg. Going back to Austria in July, can't wait.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Borderbairn View Post
Lovely photos. I love Salzburg. Going back to Austria in July, can't wait.
Ah fab I hope you have a great trip!
Thanks for reading!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 12 Apr 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
lepres
Excited about Disney

Looks like you had a great time and enjoyed your trip although it looked very cold.
It's on my list of trips to do...Would it be possible for you to post or send me a link of the book that had the Walking tour in please.
Thanks
lepres is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List