Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 4 Apr 18, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Disney Dream 3 days questions?!?

Just after a bit of advice as we are considering booking 3 day Disney cruise in the middle of our holiday next year (Easter). There is 5 of us (2 x 60/70, 2 x 30's and 6 yo) would a family suite be suitable or too small?

How much are excursions booked through disney?

How much do you tend to spend onboard (tips, drinks etc) do you pay tips at end or as you go?

As I am sure you have gathered we havent cruised before and dont really understand how it works etc!

TIA
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahb161
Serious Dibber

We have just booked the 3 day Bahamas cruise for next Easter - our first ever cruise. There are 5 of us too -myself, husband, 2 children and father in law.

I asked this exact question on the Disney Cruising FB Page and got over 100 replies! I would recommend this page for lots of info - and people ready and waiting to reply to lots of questions! The general consensus was that 5 people would fit comfortably into a family verandah stateroom. For my father In law to have his own stateroom, it would have cost £1600. However, to come in with us was only £400. People said that you spend so little time in your cabin in a 3 day cruise that it’s hard to justify paying £1600 for an extra bed when there is one available in the family stateroom.

There is a privacy curtain between the double bed and the 3 other beds which helps with getting changed etc. Plus there’s a split bathroom, so one person can be in the loo (with a sink) while someone else is showering in the other bathroom. And there’s always the verandah to sit on for a bit more space!

We did look into two inside cabins instead, but they way the pricing is for next Easter, the inside cabins are hardly any cheaper than the verandah ones. If you want to join the “Disney cruising” group on fb, search on there for “squeeze 5 people” and it will come up with the thread / it was very helpful!

Edited at 07:55 PM.
sarahb161 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

It’s a difficult question!

The suites are small for four adults, but it’s only a 3 day cruise and you won’t be in it much.

I love my in laws but could not share a room neither could I with my parents and we are very close .. but if it means go or not go then why not go for it !

Check out how much 2 inside cabins would be as I don’t think there is much difference in price

Or (hard hats on) try another cruise line you would definitely get two rooms for the price of one on a Disney cruise.

Edited at 07:54 PM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Spending you can spend as little or as Much as you want.

Tips are mandatory $11 per person per day Inc kids 😢😢.

You can buy a drinks package for wine with dinner and you can take a small quantity of your own alcholoic drinks on board for cabin consumption.

We don’t spend anything else.

Kids drinks are free and all food (apart from one restaurant) and entertainment.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would seriously consider 2 inside staterooms. It is such a short cruise and you are in the room so little, having oceanview or verandah is really not important. But 2 rooms would give you the space that you need.

Excursions really vary in price - on a 3 day we would never do excursions, though. Again, there is so much to do on board and Castaway Cay is an excursion in itself really. You could do something at Nassau but it isn't necessary, there are a few places that are an easy walk from port and perfect for first time visitors.

As far as tipping goes, you tip as you go on certain things like alcohol, but the standard gratuities are added to your onboard account and you get envelopes to give to those people on the last night of your cruise. The standard gratuities are $12 per person per day, split among your four main crew members who look after you while you are on board.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you so much for all your help and opinions, definitely something for our family to consider! Eekkkk its exciting yet a little nerve wracking!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by Tinkerpink View Post
Thank you so much for all your help and opinions, definitely something for our family to consider! Eekkkk its exciting yet a little nerve wracking!
Be careful, it's even more addictive than WDW lol
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

We were 3 - OH and me & mom - we looked at inside cabins but ended up booking a balcony room for the three of us. It was a much bigger room - with balcony - for the same price we'd have to pay for mom on her own and us in a double so yes, if you're happy, I'd say suite for all - it's a much nicer experience (if you can stand the other people) - the curtain and split bathroom helps, though mom had to go from sofa bed through our bit of the room to the bathroom. You probably get extra perks in a suite to a standard room or inside cabin - look into this, they can be worth the sharing alone (they are on Norwegian Cruise Line)

You charge stuff to your door key I think then pay at the end.

We did the chocolate factory tour in Nassau - the rest of the city was a bit of a dump but if you're into water sports there were loads of choices. You'll usually pay more for a ship's shore excursions - sometimes hiring a car will be cheaper but for 3 days, is it worth it?

We didn't do any excursions on Castaway Cay, just mooched about on the island - it's really nice.

Be aware (unless it's changed) - if you drink alcohol you can take this on in your checked bag and drink in your room. Can save you a bit if you have a drink in your room before dinner. Depends if this matters to you.

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 18, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Originally Posted by TGT View Post
Be aware (unless it's changed) - if you drink alcohol you can take this on in your checked bag and drink in your room. Can save you a bit if you have a drink in your room before dinner. Depends if this matters to you.
Not sure when you last cruised but it is only beer and wine now. Limited to 2 bottles of wine or 6 beers per adult over 21. You can buy extra at each port and bring it on though, up to the allowance. No hard liquor is permitted now.
Old 5 Apr 18, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Not sure when you last cruised but it is only beer and wine now. Limited to 2 bottles of wine or 6 beers per adult over 21. You can buy extra at each port and bring it on though, up to the allowance. No hard liquor is permitted now.
Thanks, can't remember if liquor was included then either we only took a couple of bottles of wine, but I was amazed they let you take anything. Thanks for the the update, thought it was only a couple of years ago, but probably more like 5! Where does the time go? I did say it might have changed.

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List