Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 16 Apr 18, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire@Hull
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Falcon 9 Complex 40 Best Viewing Spot

This will be the first time we have an opportunity to see a launch.

We dont have tickets to KSC.

Can anyone recommend the best beach/jetty/viewing position and what time should we aim to be there? (Launch is set for 6:32pm)

TIA
Old 16 Apr 18, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

Last launch we seen was shuttle Discovery in 2000, tried to get to Cocoa beach but left it to late and only made it to the astronauts Hall of Fame but it's a really good spot if you can get there in time..good luck
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 18, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

I watched a Shuttle Launch from Titusville, been on to look at the map and I cannot find the exact spot. But anywhere along the Indian River gets a good view across to the Launch Pads 39A and B. 40 is slightly more South of the other two pads, so central Titusville would be good.

I'd aim to get wherever you are at least 90 mins before Launch, to grab parking...and expect the Launch to be delayed / cancelled.

Of course, be prepared for heavy traffic back to Orlando. If it does go up, grab a bit to eat locally and let the traffic die down
Old 16 Apr 18, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Gasman66
Serious Dibber

Hi,
Just spotted launch scrubbed until 18th April launch time unknown.
if you go to spacecoastlaunches.com this site will give you all the info you require, launch date/time viewing/parking spots with directions...keeping our fingers crossed for a lift off in October..
Gasman66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Claire@Hull
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks guys, were back. Went down to Playalinda Beach and saw all the cars filtering out, so had a hunch. We’ll reschedule for 18th. Fingers crossed!
Old 17 Apr 18, 04:03 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

I was at Playalinda (car park 2) this afternoon hoping to see this launch. A bit frustrating when they postpone after you've already arrived (although on one previous occasion, the postponement was with only 2 minutes to go). Even more annoying for me is that the new date is on Wednesday when I am seeing Bon Jovi at the Amway Center - so hopefully they'll postpone again!

The best detailed advice on viewing locations for all the current launches is at
http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html

Basically, ideally you need to be as close as possible with a clear line of sight (no obstructions) to the specific launch pad. Ignore years-old out-of-date advice about shuttle launches - the Falcon is a lot smaller and the crowds etc are different. The Astronaut Hall of Fame closed several years ago (moved to the main KSC visitor centre).
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Can I ask, what routes you took to Playalinda ?
Old 17 Apr 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire@Hull
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
Can I ask, what routes you took to Playalinda ?
We just set the Sat Nav and went (avoiding toll roads as we got stung with a toll by plate earlier in the week - with no Sunpass and no option to pay! ) but from memory it was I4 then Highway 50 (East Colonial Driveway), the 406 and lastly the 402 - Max Brewer Memorial Highway straight into the Canaveral Seashore National Park where Playalinda was.
Old 19 Apr 18, 03:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Claire@Hull
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Well, we got there today. What an amazing bucket list experience! So glad we made the effort and got to see it.