Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Apr 18, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Avis Group B or Upgrade?

hi,

we are going to Florida in October but this will be the first time we have hired a car.

we have our car hire through BA with Avis and I have joined Avis preferred to hopefully skip the queue at MCO.

After looking at a lot of the car hire threads on here it seems the most popular cars are bigger 4x4/SUV types.

Is there any reason for this other than personal preference? At the minute we have a group b car which is a ford focus or similar. there is only 3 of us, myself, husband and our 5 year old. 3 medium cases no buggy.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Space wise, you will be fine. SUVs are popular for 2 main reasons I think.
1. The space if you need it
2. To not feel so 'small' and vulnerable when on the roads. generally cars there are so much bigger so a Focus type can feel really small

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Monolith
Excited about Disney

For what I’m about to say there is not guarantee but there are very few cars that are actually focus size with Avis at mco.

I hired the same kind of car last May & got an ‘upgrade’ to a mid size car. This was an Hyundai Elantra. More than perfect boot space for 3 big cases and 3 hand luggage sized ‘cases’.

my wife and I with our 5yr old girl in her car seat.

Felt big enough to me (I drive a fabia estate here in the uk) If you’re really worried you can call back ba and ask how much the increase is to the midsize

Edited at 01:56 PM.
Monolith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post

thank you for your help.

I think I will phone BA to see how much upgrade is!

thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Monolith
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by laur3n View Post
thank you for your help.

I think I will phone BA to see how much upgrade is!

thanks
Meant to say my upgrade was free as in I was told by the avis employee at mco that due to my avis privileged status. To be honest, I had a look around the garage. I think it was really just that they had no smaller cars.
Monolith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Meant to say my upgrade was free as in I was told by the avis employee at mco that due to my avis privileged status. To be honest, I had a look around the garage. I think it was really just that they had no smaller cars.
Just a quick question about Avis Preferred - do you have to book direct through the Avis website, or can you go through the usual price comparison sites?
Old 18 Apr 18, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Monolith
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Just a quick question about Avis Preferred - do you have to book direct through the Avis website, or can you go through the usual price comparison sites?
It’s just a loyalty scheme with these added benefits. I was sold avis via a BA holidays flydrive. Was told by the ba person he’s signed to avis preferred and saved the queue. So I went into avis website, signed up and then contacted them when I got the physical card to have go with my ba voucher for car hire.
Old 18 Apr 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

Last August we had a group A car from MCO to RPR for 24 hours and had plenty of room for the luggage we had 2 cases and 2 hand luggage for 2 adults and 1 11 year old.
We had booked a group B car for our second week but were upgraded to a Ford Edge which was a group W at the Doubletree hotel which was fantastic.
sparkles18 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List