Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Apr 18, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Spud_work View Post
In a locked boot of a sedan where it is completely out of sight sure, no problem, no one will know it is there.

In the back of a SUV, absolutely no chance at all, as even with privacy glass it will still be somewhat visible
Apart from the fact that the rear end will be loaded down on the springs. Any baddy used to breaking into cars will be well aware of this.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 11:54 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Apart from the fact that the rear end will be loaded down on the springs.
How much luggage do you take?
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

As a solo traveller who rents SUV's I always try to get one with the cover that pulls back over the rear luggage compartment.

However thats not always possible. I have a black holdall, so put it down on the floor behind the front seats. Once when travelling with a light coloured case, popped into Walmart and picked up a very cheap dark towel / throw and put that over the luggage.

Large cases, or more than 1 case and you might struggle though.

Take the passport and cash with me and hope for the best in the car. Technically it's probably safer in there out of sight then in a hotel room, which will be open and unlocked each day and easily accessible while roomkeeping are doing the rounds.

I'll have to do the same this year, at KSC and Busch Gardens and hoping the large number of security people patrolling the car parks wards off any opportune thieves.
Old 18 Apr 18, 04:34 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
How much luggage do you take?
About 10 kg
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Conjuror
Gone all Goofy

Hi, we had a 19 day road trip from Memphis down into Orlando with a SUV and had similar concerns with luggage in the trunk area, the cases were open to view although we did have privacy glass in the rear. Bought a long cable lock, threaded the cable through the suitcase handles and secured to the anchor points in the trunk.

Ok won’t deter someone if they really want to get your cases but would certainly deter an opportunist thief and make it very hard for anyone else to steal your luggage.
Conjuror is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Right through the 70's and 80's I did Month long road trips all over the States.

Now in those situations you have no choice but to leave the cases in the car. But I always had a saloon with a boot and kept my Passport and cash on me. Best I could do.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Conjuror View Post
Hi, we had a 19 day road trip from Memphis down into Orlando with a SUV and had similar concerns with luggage in the trunk area, the cases were open to view although we did have privacy glass in the rear. Bought a long cable lock, threaded the cable through the suitcase handles and secured to the anchor points in the trunk.

Ok won’t deter someone if they really want to get your cases but would certainly deter an opportunist thief and make it very hard for anyone else to steal your luggage.
Great tip. I have a motorbike one that I’ll pop in the case next trip
Old 22 Apr 18, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mozzman
Trainee Dibber

good luck to anyone that steals my sons used boxer shorts lol
mozzman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kinggie View Post
I’m planning on leaving the luggage’s in the boot of the car out of sight so I’m sure it will be fine. I’ll just take our passports with us just in case. Everything else is replaceable albeit a big inconvenience if something happens.
I have had this dilemma many time son US road trips where you are moving between destinations every couple of days. Bottom line is that in that scenario, you have no option if you want tp stop and see the things. This is one reason we generally dont have SUVs and get a decent car with a good to luggage is hidden. We take a back pack that we can out the laptop, passports etc. in and can easily carry about. Everything else is insured.
In Florida we try not to do this, but sometimes we have little choice so take the risk.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Conjuror View Post

This is something I am now going to look into. Sounds like a simple pragmatic option. It wont stop someone intent but I am guessing most thieves are opportunist and will leave if stuff is locked i this way.

How long a cable lock do you have?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List