Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Apr 18, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
orangeone123
slightly serious Dibber

£650 for 'free' car hire, can i beat that price

planning our holiday for next year and so far virgin is coming in quiet competative with their quote. however with the cost of the 'free' car and the added insurance they are wanting just over £650 for a intermediate SUV, 17 may - 7 june. do you think i can get a better price booking it myself.
orangeone123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
I got a quote £650 odd for a standard SUV for 3 weeks in May next year. That was with fully inclusive car insurance through the stand alone Virgin Car hire. When I got my Virgin Holidays quote I got it without car and then when I got the quote told them about what I could get car wise through their standalone hire and got it added. The "free" car you get with them on the package or fly drive is a bad deal especially as the insurance isn't enough and you have to add extra.

Edited at 07:31 AM.
gjdjud is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Their ‘Free’ car is total BS. They’re currently selling the hire for that car on those dates for £50 cheaper so you’d be better off seeing if taking the ‘free’ car off completely will reduce your price or even if it doesn’t just tell them you’ll book separately. Shopping around (Alamo Brits, DFCH etc.) you may be able to get cheaper still or a bigger car for less than VH want.

*The above through VH includes all your required insurances and an additional driver.

Edited at 07:51 AM.
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

Try the Holiday Autos website. They’ve just done me 3 weeks in a Mustang for £580 from Avis for next month.
Old 20 Apr 18, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Plenty of sites around that will beat that...
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

£650 for 3 weeks SUV hire is not that bad with Alamo
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
£650 for 3 weeks SUV hire is not that bad with Alamo
For an Int SUV that seems high.
This trip I am paying £541.32 - 3 weeks
Aug £719.46 - 4 weeks
Oct £525.48 - 3 weeks

All prices for a Standard SUV

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 12:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Try the Holiday Autos website. They’ve just done me 3 weeks in a Mustang for £580 from Avis for next month.
Good shout. They seem to be having a 20% off sale at the moment. Cheapest for me in August.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 18, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
I got a quote £650 odd for a standard SUV for 3 weeks in May next year. That was with fully inclusive car insurance through the stand alone Virgin Car hire. When I got my Virgin Holidays quote I got it without car and then when I got the quote told them about what I could get car wise through their standalone hire and got it added. The "free" car you get with them on the package or fly drive is a bad deal especially as the insurance isn't enough and you have to add extra.
You should be able to get that for less than £600.
The problem is you’re a bit early, companies like Alamo only load up their prices around 11 months out.
That’s when most of the 3rd party suppliers start showing them.
Alamo thru Virgin being the exception, who do seem to get them earlier.
I would knock the free car off your booking, wait a few weeks then start shopping around once all the websites are showing prices for your dates.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 18, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by 99plums View Post
You should be able to get that for less than £600.
The problem is you’re a bit early, companies like Alamo only load up their prices around 11 months out.
That’s when most of the 3rd party suppliers start showing them.
Alamo thru Virgin being the exception, who do seem to get them earlier.
I would knock the free car off your booking, wait a few weeks then start shopping around once all the websites are showing prices for your dates.
I didn't get a free car. It was quote that I got with Virgin standalone car hire. I asked them to add it to the Virgin Holidays quote that had no car hire with it. It ended up cheaper than the £650 as part of the package.
gjdjud is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List