Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Apr 18, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

If you’ve always had a car, I would say have a car onsite too.

We always stay onsite now and are never without a car - we drive to every park except the Magic Kingdom. We like the convenience of not having to wait for buses which might be crowded, and we also much prefer to eat offsite, so can do so straight from the parks.

Long gone are the days where we stay in a park all day/all evening, so a car allows us to go to a park for opening, nip to the shopping malls etc offsite for the afternoon and then back to a park for the evening - so easy!

I’ve also found that those that regularly stay offsite with a car & then try out onsite without a car, often say they haven’t enjoyed the ‘trapped’ feeling of being onsite and then won’t stay onsite again. I think that’s a shame, as I definitely don’t feel trapped - but then I always have a car!

Edited at 06:45 AM.
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat22
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We didn’t bother last time and just used Uber when off property. With all those dining plan cocktails I intend to consume, definitely not for 2019!
Kat22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post

We always hire a car .
Sometimes the buses are rammed or few and far between so it’s easier for us just to drive . We keep a cooler in the back so after a long hot day we can just jump in and enjoy an ice cold drink and know we have a seat ! Most handy if this is at park closing time.
We also visit universal and Clearwater as well as the malls so a car is essential. I don’t want to have to rely on cabs

Edited at 07:25 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
HansysMum
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We love Disney transport and rather than feeling trapped - we are in the Disney bubble and it is magic! We have a fly drive for the first time this yr just to have trips out to KSC and to the shops. KSC looks such a long day on the coach trip and we fancy stopping at a beach whilst over there to dip our toes in the sea. Not driven in Florida before though but have quite a bit in Europe so fingers crossed it’s not too hard to adjust.

2016 - CBR
2018 - AKL
2021 - Disney Magic
2024 - CBR 🫶 Portofino Bay
2025 -POR Riverside
HansysMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Disney transport is efficient, this is true
but we wouldn't go to FL without a car.
Yes, the disney bubble feels so nice, and all, but we also like to be able to go outside of the bubble, and I mean, when we want to, how we want to

Actually the car hire is among the first things I arrange for our Disney vacations

last thursday, like many here, I booked Free Dining for august '19
as soon as I received my confirmation email, I went to Andy's DFCH site and booked our car for our dates to secure a good price from the start.

then will come flights and the rest of the planning, but this is how important a car is to our family.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

We hire a car and also use the Disney transportation whilst there (tend to use car for water parks, crazy golf, Disney Springs and shopping).

Thinking of trying it more to the main parks this year to compare against the buses.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We always have a car. I’ve had one experience with waiting on Disney transport and it’s not one I wish to repeat. We spend a lot of our day flitting between places so a car is a must for us.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

Always, so we can nip to supermarket and of site restaurants and don’t have to wait for buses.

Also so we can go to other resorts for ADR easily.

With the 2020 car park charges though we might change our minds.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Like OP we are doing a split stay for the first time - never stayed onsite before. I was also thinking to delay the hire car start to the day we checkout of YC.

For those of you that have done split stay, with a car only for offsite - who do you rent with and where do you pick it up? (we normally do Avis or Alamo from airport so never rented outside airport).
Old 23 Apr 18, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat22
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I think it very much depends on the resort you stay on. During our stay at WL in feb 2016, the buses and boat to MK were practically empty. Plus the deluxe bus stops seem to be nearer to the entrances. I would imagine that a larger resort with a lot more people would make it a very different experience.
Kat22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List