Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Apr 18, 05:56 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile Can you remember your first holiday...

...without your parents?

So in my case this was going to a Pontins resort called Middleton towers which I think was in Morecambe Lancashire.

It was a if adventure - natoable for trying to get drunk and trying to dance. I only had a 50% success rate on that (which I have to admit hasn't changed to this day-although one activity depends on the other)

I suspect the resort no longer exists but it was my first taste of holidays which I controlled.

Being so long ago I can't remember much about it but I'm sure dibbers that will remember more about theirs.

Come on everyone - join in

BB
Old 24 Apr 18, 06:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I was 15, went on a language exchange student course for 4 weeks in Torquay (I’m Swedish). Lived with an English family and experienced new food like beans on toast which I thought very odd 😀 (no that concept doesnt exist in Sweden).

This was early/mid 80s so no means of communicating home apart from writing letters and I remember I used a fair chunk of my pocket money to call home from a phone booth once in those 4 weeks.

I have a teenager myself now and cannot imagine sending him abroad for 4 weeks without contact. He recently went on a ski trip and I could see on my phone every day where he had been. Hat off for my brave parents!
Old 24 Apr 18, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

For my 16th birthday, a couple of friends and I went to Efteling in the Netherlands parents free. We all ran out of money and on the way home the railways were on strike, but we somehow made it home.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
I was 15, went on a language exchange student course for 4 weeks in Torquay (I’m Swedish). Lived with an English family and experienced new food like beans on toast which I thought very odd 😀 (no that concept doesnt exist in Sweden).

This was early/mid 80s so no means of communicating home apart from writing letters and I remember I used a fair chunk of my pocket money to call home from a phone booth once in those 4 weeks.

I have a teenager myself now and cannot imagine sending him abroad for 4 weeks without contact. He recently went on a ski trip and I could see on my phone every day where he had been. Hat off for my brave parents!
I'd forgotten about going on a school trip to Paris! Maybe more on that later !
Old 24 Apr 18, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

School trip to Paris when I was 15 and I flew to Ireland on my own to stay with family friends when I was 15 too, can’t remember which was first!
My first proper holiday without them, school or family nearby was when I was nearly 18 and a group of us went to Spain for a couple of weeks.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Never been on holiday with my parents, but my first holiday sort of without supervision was Paris when I was 13! My friends and I had an amazing time running around Disneyland Paris unsupervised! My first proper holiday unsupervised however was with the other half when I was 20, we went to Alcudia for a week and it was lovely!
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I was 12 and it was a school holiday to Bala North Wales which was only just over an hour from where we lived but it was like another world to me.

It was the first holiday I'd ever had and I had a fantastic time.
Old 24 Apr 18, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Yes, it was my first trip to Florida in 1992. I was 21, my friend was 20 so I had to do all the driving. We'd saved for months, booked a £399 each Virgin Holiday, flights into Miami, 1 night in MIA and 13 in a motel that no longer exists in Orlando.

It'd been my dream for so many years to make it to Florida, I was so focused on getting there and thought it was going to be my once in a lifetime!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
I was 12 and it was a school holiday to Bala North Wales which was only just over an hour from where we lived but it was like another world to me.

It was the first holiday I'd ever had and I had a fantastic time.
I love that area of Wales..all those little railways !
Old 24 Apr 18, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
JackyH
Imagineer

JackyH's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I was 17 and went to Lloret de Mar with my best friend Susan. We had a ball!