Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Apr 18, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
JoB
Serious Dibber

Rats in my loft! Advice needed please. UPDATE page 4 & 5

Has anyone had experience of dealing with rats in their loft?
My son had heard noises but I had assumed it was from next door as we have heard their animals before. I checked in the loft and have now found rat droppings. I informed my neighbour as it is a semi-detached house and they said that they have heard noises too.
I have ordered some rat traps from Screwfix which I can collect tomorrow. I was worried about using poison as I would be left with decomposing rats in the loft.
Will I need to remove the contaminated insulation too?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Joanne

Edited at 04:50 PM.
JoB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza68
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We had this a few weeks ago. Got the council in. £50 for maximum of 4 visits. Took only 3 and all signs gone. They removed all poison etc.
Ours got in by chewing through plastic air bricks and int cavity. We’ve now blocked those with metal grills, £15 for 5 on eBay
Wazza68 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza68
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Takes about 3 weeks for a rat to complete decompose. You may get a slight smell but you’re loft should have enough ventilation to prevent it causing you a problem
Wazza68 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

we had them , they got in through the cavity too. We had someone round and we used traps , our loft hatch is in our bedroom and one i night i was woken by a thumping sound above. Woke the other half who said i was imagining it until it started again. A rat had its leg caught and was running round the loft attached to the trap. My other half had to go up there to sort it and the screeching was horrendous, never thought rats would make that noise! I honestly hated my house at that point , even had a nightmare once about rat falling through the ceiling on my head and woke the whole house with my screams! I hope you get yours sorted quickly.
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
davdawnbro
Getting Excited

We lived near a stream for a while and rats got in our loft. We got the council out who put lots of poison up there and advised we seal any gaps in the eve of the house with expandable foam.

That did the trick thankfully, unfortunately as someone mentioned above, we too had one die in the cavity wall! The smell was unbareable for a few weeks... blergh.
davdawnbro is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweetums
VIP Dibber

We had a mouse in the kitchen, found one sat there on the floor one day looking up at me. We checked; our council don't do rodent removal, just gave links to professionals; had a quick look online; picked the snapping plastic traps, within 30 minutes of putting them down we heard a snap. binned the mouse and the trap, not heard or seen anything since. I guess if you have more of an infestation you might want to get the professionals in, and if the council do it; again it's probably a good idea. also make sure you get traps for rats; as they are bigger, and you don't want them running around with little hats on :P
2016 Shamu Sanctuary Dibb Villa WDW - 2017 DLP
2018 CBR WDW Halloween 2019 West Coast trip
2019 CBR WDW December
2022 CBR WDW December
Sweetums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
we had them , they got in through the cavity too. We had someone round and we used traps , our loft hatch is in our bedroom and one i night i was woken by a thumping sound above. Woke the other half who said i was imagining it until it started again. A rat had its leg caught and was running round the loft attached to the trap. My other half had to go up there to sort it and the screeching was horrendous, never thought rats would make that noise! I honestly hated my house at that point , even had a nightmare once about rat falling through the ceiling on my head and woke the whole house with my screams! I hope you get yours sorted quickly.
Omg gonna have nightmares about this too now 😳

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had this problem just after we built our loft conversion. Went to Tenerife for 2 weeks just before Xmas, I’d already bought all the kids & nieces/nephews chocolates and the kids were really excited to get their advent calendars. Got them out of the cupboard and the rats had eaten their way through the advent calendars, and loads of sweets (they seemed to like smarties and haribo the best lol) I wish I still had the photos to show the mess they made!

There was a hole in the side of roof where the builders forgot to put some bricks back, which was where they came into the house from! We also had a hole where the pipe was going into the dishwasher, old Roland had a whale of a time down there, eating the crisps, the potatoes, and one evening DH was my in the garden and caught him eating out of the dogs bowl. The dog just sat there and did nothing!

So poison, an electric rat trap, cavity wall insulation, bricks put back where they should be and mesh wire & filler in the hole in the kitchen and we haven’t seen him since. We did hear him drag a smarties tube under the floorboards after the Christmas incident but the smarties tube was full of poison! Outsmarted Mr Rat with that one, greedy sod. We found out where they were coming from as we never had a rat problem before, a house a few doors down had an Avery in the garden, and rats were attracted to the birds, they dug a rat run along the gardens down our road so they were clever and greedy!

You have my sympathies, I absolutely hate rats more than anything, hope you get them sorted!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024

Edited at 09:51 PM.
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza68
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

And of course if you’re like me a UB40 song will bounce around your head for weeks
Old 24 Apr 18, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
debsym62
Imagineer

debsym62's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
My local council comes out to help with rats free of charge so it is worth checking with yours.
debsym62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List