Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Apr 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

My contract and most of my colleagues says 6 months notice from both sides which I don’t mind as it means unless I do something bad my mortgage is paid for the next 6 months. I know people who have negotiated earlier terms if desperate though.

Edited at 01:41 PM.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
I have

i was honest and said " i want to leave in 2 months " No was the answer, so i said i will just be " ill " and stay at home, i owed them nothing in loyalty, so the option was easy for them, let me go at 8 weeks or i leave on 8 weeks and spend 1 month on the sick
Wow

I always strive to leave any company as a "good" leaver. people come and go for many reasons but as has already been said you never know what comes along in the future and should your new employer reference you then it may actually come home to roost sooner.

any employer that really needed me sooner has always understood my loyalty and desire to complete my contractual obligations - and in fact as an employer i wouldn't think very highly at all of someone who had acted in this manner towards an employed on the basis of their attitude towards employers in general.
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by choccielover View Post
Wow

I always strive to leave any company as a "good" leaver. people come and go for many reasons but as has already been said you never know what comes along in the future and should your new employer reference you then it may actually come home to roost sooner.

any employer that really needed me sooner has always understood my loyalty and desire to complete my contractual obligations - and in fact as an employer i wouldn't think very highly at all of someone who had acted in this manner towards an employed on the basis of their attitude towards employers in general.
This reminds me of something that actually happened at a place where I worked many years ago.

There was a staff member there who was known for being stroppy and falling out with both management and colleagues. On one occasion he fell out with a director and having aired his complaint to the management in a - lets say - not very nice email he found another job and left the company immediately to start with the new company.

What he didn't know was the new company had just been bought out by the previous company he worked for and his old boss (the one he felt out with) was now his new boss.

He didn't last long!
Old 25 Apr 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I am on 3 months notice.

I'd negotiate getting it shortened...thing is, companies are not loyal to you...yes, they might give you your 3 months notice, and / or chuck some redundancy at you in certain circumstances, but they don't care about your long term future - it can be hard for people sometimes to get similar level of employment and can be life changing in a bad way...so why should you show loyalty to them if a great opportunity comes up for you? Companies often cut costs and lay people off without caring about how it really effects them.

I'd negotiate nicely and explain the situation...then do whatever was necessary to ensure I didn't miss the opportunity - assuming the new employer couldn't wait for me (I would hope they would though if I was that important to them).
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
I companies are not loyal to you...yes, they might give you your 3 months notice, and / or chuck some redundancy at you in certain circumstances, but they don't care about your long term future -.
Having worked for a number of large banks and insurance companies I can confirm this is true.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
loobz
Imagineer

loobz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
until you ask you won't know if they'll let you or not. If your work can easily be covered by other staff or if they will be able to find your replacement quickly then it might not be an issue.
Old 25 Apr 18, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Having worked for a number of large banks and insurance companies I can confirm this is true.
I'll agree with that also.

I worked in a large bank and people were being made redundant left, right and centre. Several men I knew had been in the bank since they left school and were made redundant in their 50s. They had a wealth of banking experience between them but that didn't count. The bank did however hire contract workers who knew nothing about the business instead. Loyalty has to work both ways.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

My last job I had 12 weeks notice. I asked if they would let me leave sooner than that and they agreed 8 weeks which was fair enough.

I was working from home anyway - I didn't exactly work that hard for those weeks!
Old 25 Apr 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYPRINCESS5
Helping Minnie

I have just gone through this and now only have 1 week left to work. I was away just under 2 weeks ago to Marbella for my cousins hen weekend and on the Monday had a 2nd interview with my new company at which i was offered a new position and snapped it up. I came back to work on the tuesday and gave a verbal notice and explained to my manager (who is on a 3 month redundancy notice himself) that i needed to be finished asap to which he said he ill do his very best for me. I then handed in my written notice with a proposed finishing date of the 2nd May, after a few days my manager nor me had heard anything and on friday i had to get back to my new company with a start date so in the end i accepted i would just walk if need be. My company is restructuring at the moment and redundancy WILL be happening in a few months so with that hanging over my head i couldnt wait and decided to move. I went home and got a text from my manager to confirm i ws getting finished on the 2nd of may as i asked. Be nice with them and explain that your new job maybe cant wait that length and also explain that you arent expecting to get your full notice pay just what youve worked. If your honest with them maybe they will be nice with you. Good Luck

PROUD DVC OWNER AT THE POLYNESIAN
DISNEYPRINCESS5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Having been self employed for 30+ years I wondered what these contractual obligations really mean? Can they take you to court for leaving early?
Feebee2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List