Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Apr 18, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Companies can always get rid of you anytime they want - we have all seen people got rid of as their "position no longer exists" - then to see someone fill it with slightly different title.

Likewise, you can soon find a reason to leave...or why it would be in everyone's best interest to leave quickly and harmoniously ;-)
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
Having been self employed for 30+ years I wondered what these contractual obligations really mean? Can they take you to court for leaving early?
Yes. Most contracts state a notice period. If you fail you work that notice, your employer could take you to court for breach of contract.

I don't know how many employers would go to that bother though
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

If you are on good enough terms with your boss then just have a chat. I'd approach it something like " I don't want to leave you in the lurch but my new employers would really like me to start earlier if at all possible. Is there any room to work something out?". You may find they will be fine with that. As others have said I would certainly be ready to explain what you could do to help, e.g. Work some extra hours during your notice, make sure you finish important tasks, give training to somebody else if appropriate, prepare a " handover" for your replacement.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I did 12 months notice, 2 months of which was on garden leave.
They were upset I handed in my notice, and told me straight off they'd hold me to 12 months.
Didn't do them much good, as all my clients eventually followed.
Old 25 Apr 18, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I think you have just got to ask your line manager and see. It would be a good idea to be able to explain how anything “project like” you may be working on will be finished or how you will hand over your responsibilities or complete any training (of others) in the shortened time.
I will arrange a meeting with my manager and see what he thinks of the idea and take it from there.

Thank you.

WDW Visited in 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013
Disneymaddaddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Do you have annual leave left that would knock some days / weeks off your final day?

Depending on your job, what can you finish now / sooner - that will not take 3 months?

Actually, knowing what your job is, would help my advice
I do have annual leave but would still be on the books and would not be able to start at my new job.
I genuinely think I could have handed over everything in 8 weeks.

I’m just an office manager

Disneymaddaddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Having worked for a number of large banks and insurance companies I can confirm this is true.
And? What is your point exactly? Why should a company need to care about you? ( And I am not saying they don’t). But this is about contractual obligations.

If I “employ” somebody to fit a new kitchen do they need to care about my physical and mental wellbeing? No of course not, but we have a legal agreement and I expect to keep up my side of it as much as I expect them to keep up there side of it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
I have

i was honest and said " i want to leave in 2 months " No was the answer, so i said i will just be " ill " and stay at home, i owed them nothing in loyalty, so the option was easy for them, let me go at 8 weeks or i leave on 8 weeks and spend 1 month on the sick
I dont want to go Ill as I don’t want to let my team and customers down but I will ask my manager if I could leave within 2 months.

Old 25 Apr 18, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
Depends on the type of role/nature of work you do?

In my husband's role, he'd be likely to be released that day or end of the week at the latest on gardening leave due to the type of business he works in whereas I'd be required to work my full notice (unless I had annual leave available to use).

Be aware as well that if your current employer allows you to 'leave' early on gardening leave, you can't begin working at your new employer until your previous employment/gardening leave has ended.
I work for a logistics company. I don’t want garden leave as I want to start with my new employer. I am a workaholic 😂

Edited at 01:45 AM.
Old 25 Apr 18, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Disneymaddaddy View Post
I dont want to go Ill as I don’t want to let my team and customers down but I will ask my manager if I could leave within 2 months.
Well as mentioned in first post, if you can demonstrate how it will not impede the business I would hope they would accommodate you. In many cases, the business won’t want somebody who has mentally left the building anyway.

But I would implore you not to burn any bridges, you do not know when your paths may cross again.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List