Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Aug 16, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Lots of questions for a cheaper trip!

I nearly fainted the other night when my boyfriend said we could do a slightly shorter December trip this year so I could see the xmas lights (and celebrate the end of my PhD and my job!). His conditions were it would be a cheaper trip than last time and only Disney or Universal (has to be Disney!). So, last time we stayed in POFQ, used uber to get to Universal (and stayed one night there too), had the QSDP and didn't go offsite apart from Universal. This means I am a bit lost when looking for the cheaper side of things and was hoping some of you could help me out:

1. How much could I expect to get car hire for (baring in mind we are planning to go Dec this year)? We would only need a small cheap car.

2. Are there any hopes of cheap onsite rooms coming up at all? I had a look on the US site, but atm the prices for Pop or All Stars and comparable with the UK prices I can find.

3. What are the best offsite cheaper hotels? (All we really care about is near Disney, ideally on the Disney Springs side as we do love Disney springs, and a comfortable bed).

4. Any other advice for a budget (ish) trip would be great

Thanks everyone
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney2010
Imagineer

Disney2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
We managed to get a good late deal with Thomson & we fly out on 1st Sept. We booked around 3 months ago so worth checking their site for deals. We're flying from Manchester & staying at Disney's All Star Sports.
We like the location of that hotel as it's at the very South end of WDW so only a quick 5 min drive to West Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway to eat offsite (much cheaper).
We're not doing Universal this time either as we have intended this to be a 'budget' trip.

There are quite a few offsite hotels over the way from Disney Springs so worth checking those out as a cheaper option but still close to Disney.

We got our hire car through Alamo Brits - We went for just a small option. If staying near Disney Springs could you maybe just hire a car for one week & the other week get buses from DS to the parks?

Zoe x
Old 15 Aug 16, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Lilyrose
Apprentice Imagineer

When do the lights turn off? Could an early Jan trip mean you get to see the lights? Prices might be cheaper early Jan compared to December?
Old 15 Aug 16, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

I would look at other sites other than Disney, we got a great deal for a value resort for this week we booked in February through Netflights, saved over £400 on what Disney wanted to charge.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Take a look at the Clarion Inn LBV, cheap, but nice and walkable to Disney springs - especially that time of year.

Has a shuttle bus to all the parks, so you could drop the car hire too.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Car hire will start from £150 for the week. It's the parking which makes it expensive. I'd consider Uber over renting a car - the return rates in an Uber are often parallel to Disney parking charges, and that's before we mention the potential parking charges from your offsite hotel.

It's a bit difficult answering the rest of your questions as everyones definition of cheap wildly differs. It might be easier if you post your duration, preferred departure airport and a rough budget and we can price up accordingly.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cantcook View Post
Car hire will start from £150 for the week. It's the parking which makes it expensive. I'd consider Uber over renting a car - the return rates in an Uber are often parallel to Disney parking charges, and that's before we mention the potential parking charges from your offsite hotel.

It's a bit difficult answering the rest of your questions as everyones definition of cheap wildly differs. It might be easier if you post your duration, preferred departure airport and a rough budget and we can price up accordingly.
Sure thing Looking at either 30th November - 10th December or 7th December to 17th December - so 10 nights, but including one of the flights on a saturday to minimise time off work! I live in Cardiff so airports are always a bit of a pain - will fly from Manchester, London, Birmingham, Bristol... lots of options! happy to pay the £40 or £50 more for direct flights... they seem to slip down to about £400pp on a regular basis with Virgin atm. We don't exatly have a budget... just want to do it at a more reasonable price (obviously onsite will cost more than off, but would prefer onsite if we can get it).

I do love Uber, just need to compare the costs for getting to shopping malls, offsite restaurants (Must eat at Ihop, Olive garden and cheesecake factory as a minimum this time! ) and celebration to see the snow.

Thanks for the help so far everyone
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BrerVixen
Imagineer

BrerVixen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
By the christmas lights... do you mean the Osbourne Lights? Cause they finished this year in january due to the streets of america closing for Star Wars construction!

There's been no word yet as to whether the Osbourne Lights are returning in some other capacity (well, if there is, I haven't heard!)

Some imagination Huh?
WDW in 89,90,91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,04,05,07,09,11,13,14,16
DLP in 99,00,08
Next Trip: Disney's All Star Sports September 2019
BrerVixen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 16, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BrerVixen View Post
By the christmas lights... do you mean the Osbourne Lights? Cause they finished this year in january due to the streets of america closing for Star Wars construction!

There's been no word yet as to whether the Osbourne Lights are returning in some other capacity (well, if there is, I haven't heard!)
No i know I have sadly missed these :'( I mean the castle all lit up and all the decorations around the resorts. Still sad about the Osbourne lights though
Old 15 Aug 16, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Sure thing Looking at either 30th November - 10th December or 7th December to 17th December - so 10 nights, but including one of the flights on a saturday to minimise time off work! I live in Cardiff so airports are always a bit of a pain - will fly from Manchester, London, Birmingham, Bristol... lots of options! happy to pay the £40 or £50 more for direct flights... they seem to slip down to about £400pp on a regular basis with Virgin atm. We don't exatly have a budget... just want to do it at a more reasonable price (obviously onsite will cost more than off, but would prefer onsite if we can get it).

I do love Uber, just need to compare the costs for getting to shopping malls, offsite restaurants (Must eat at Ihop, Olive garden and cheesecake factory as a minimum this time! ) and celebration to see the snow.

Thanks for the help so far everyone
Flights are around £500 at the moment but wait until next week. The BA sale should start which will reduce the price across both BA and VS.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread