Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Jun 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
BrerVixen
Imagineer

BrerVixen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Car Hire WITHOUT a credit card

Hi, does anyone know which car hire places will let you rent without a credit card? As my partner nor myself have one at the moment and we would like to get a rental for our upcoming trip.
Thanks

Some imagination Huh?
WDW in 89,90,91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,04,05,07,09,11,13,14,16
DLP in 99,00,08
Next Trip: Disney's All Star Sports September 2019
BrerVixen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BrerVixen View Post
Hi, does anyone know which car hire places will let you rent without a credit card? As my partner nor myself have one at the moment and we would like to get a rental for our upcoming trip.
Thanks
Alamo accept debit cards so long as they carry either the Visa or Mastercard logo. Their Ts & Cs say that you need evidence of a return airline ticket but I can verify that they don't always ask for that.

The only way to check all the others is to go to the FAQs on their web sites.

Mick
Old 27 Jun 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
TINKERBELL44
Apprentice Imagineer

We always use a debit card, never had any problems
TINKERBELL44 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

You need either a credit card or a debit card with a mastercard/visa label. I would get a small card just for the retnal.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BrerVixen
Imagineer

BrerVixen's Reviews
Thanks everyone. So if we pre-pay, does it have to be the same card we use, or can say... I pay on my debit card even if my partner is going to be the named driver?

Some imagination Huh?
DLP in 99,00,08
BrerVixen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Thanks everyone. So if we pre-pay, does it have to be the same card we use, or can say... I pay on my debit card even if my partner is going to be the named driver?
I'm assuming that you will pre-pay anyway. Please don't hire when you get there as the chances are that you won't be offered the necessary insurances. American drivers have the required insurances anyway when they hire. We don't and you must have CDW with no excess and £1m SLI.

There's lots of UK brokers recommended by Dibbers but Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire is our (and dozens of Dibbers ) favourite. He'll include the insurances you need. Link in the yellow banner above.

With Alamo (our favourite) it doesn't matter how or with what you pay. They will swipe the card of the lead driver as you leave the garage. It's to this card that they will charge any tolls, fuel (if you add it at the gate) or traffic violations.

Mick
Old 27 Jun 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

The only requirement is that the booking, lead driver, and debit/credit card, be in the same name

you can prepay with any card, but at the gate you'll need to present a card matching the name on the lead driver's drivers license.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
The only requirement is that the booking, lead driver, and debit/credit card, be in the same name

you can prepay with any card, but at the gate you'll need to present a card matching the name on the lead driver's drivers license.
Would you believe that I know of a foolish person who's been on the DIBB over 15 years and has hired a car around 35 times actually gave his DC at the barrier rather than his CC.

As Alamo only take a $1 hold to test the card it didn't cause too much embarrassment on holiday but because this person added fuel service the $50 did hit his bank account two days after returning home.

Mick
Old 28 Jun 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
BrerVixen
Imagineer

BrerVixen's Reviews
So there's not gonna be a $250 hold on the card... Like enterprise put a £200 hold on my OH's debit card when we rented a van for 2 DAYS. Ugh.

Some imagination Huh?
DLP in 99,00,08
Old 28 Jun 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
So there's not gonna be a $250 hold on the card... Like enterprise put a £200 hold on my OH's debit card when we rented a van for 2 DAYS. Ugh.
I can only speak for Alamo recently and according to Andy at DFCH they only take $1 hold to test the card's validity.

The wife of the foolish person in the previous posts checks our bank a/c daily whilst sitting on the pool deck (beats swimming and sunbathing ) and there was no evidence of any pending transactions or debits/credits to concern us.

Mick