Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 21, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Northern people have hit a new low

So Fray Bentos are now bringing out a tinned all day breakfast pie aimed at northern people.

mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I didn’t know you still got Frey bentos Pies I remember the steak ones with added gristle Yum! 🤢
Old 18 Sep 21, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

I remember when I first got married 41 years ago,Fray Bentos steak pies were my speciality dinner with mash and peas and loads of oxo gravy😳🤣it was about all I could "cook"
Wouldn't touch them now though.😁
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Your phone seems to have mis-spelt the word ‘high’in the title as ‘ low ‘
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Hmm.. I thought that these monstrosities came from South America (Uruguay) and indeed they did until the 1960s.

Turns out that Mr House is correct about the Northern connection in that they now emanate from Scotland.

I haven’t had one since my childhood and am surprised to find that they still exist. I thought that they had gone the way of Smash Potato, Findus crispy pancakes, Cresta cream soda (it’s frothy, man) and those ghastly Vesta curries in a bag.

Edited at 06:59 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Hmm.. I thought that these monstrosities came from South America and indeed they did until the 1960s.

Turns out that Mr House is correct about the Northern connection in that they now emanate from Scotland.

I haven’t had one since my childhood and am surprised to find that they still exist. I thought that they had gone the way of Smash Potato, Findus crispy pancakes and those ghastly Vesta curries in a bag.
I remember crispy pancakes having gristle too, I wonder if they added it in at the end, my husbands favourite when I met him. I soon showed him what real food tasted like!
Do you remember toast toppers? 🤢
Old 18 Sep 21, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I remember crispy pancakes having gristle too, I wonder if they added it in at the end, my husbands favourite when I met him. I soon showed him what real food tasted like!
Do you remember toast toppers? 🤢
Oh yes! Mum loved serving us them, but then again, Mum was amongst the worst cooks that I ever met outside of the Army.

I wrote Mums life story for the ‘celebrant’ who conducted Mums funeral last February. It was entitled ‘The life of a great Mum and lousy cook’. She served us all of the above.. badly ..and Blancmange.

Edited at 08:50 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Hmm.. I thought that these monstrosities came from South America and indeed they did until the 1960s.

I haven’t had one since my childhood and am surprised to find that they still exist. I thought that they had gone the way of Smash Potato, Findus crispy pancakes, Cresta cream soda (it’s frothy, man) and those ghastly Vesta curries in a bag.
Crispy pancakes still exist , just under the birds eye branding
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Crispy pancakes still exist , just under the birds eye branding
Eugh ! I might try and find them.. just for nostalgia value.. and to teach my kids how lucky they are to live in current times!

I could serve Blancmange from a tin former shaped like a Rabbit along with tinned Pears and Carnation Milk as a Dessert! I feel sure that Dad still has that mould somewhere.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Mr House.

Edited at 08:57 AM.
Old 18 Sep 21, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

In my defence of making my very new husband Fray Bentos pies often🤣I did make a very good pineapple upside down cake with Birds custard powder(none of this pour from the carton rubbish) Didn't we all learn how to make pineapple upside down cake at school?
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List