Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 27 Sep 21, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Cooking Vegetarian and Meat in One Meal

I really want to eat more non meat meals, but husband is a meat eater. I have got him to do meat free Monday but I think switching him to more meat free days is not going to happen. I also hate cooking, so really don't want to double my job by cooking 2 different meals each night. Does anyone have any easy suggestions where I can combine a meat and vegetarian meal without to many extra bit? Thank you
sam7 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I tend to switch the protein if I don't want to eat the meat I'm doing for my husband; some examples -
Salmon for him, quiche for me, served with new potatoes and green beans.
Steak for him, stuffed mushrooms for me with whatever sides I fancy cooking.
Fajitas - I buy chicken breast pieces and add these after I take out a scoop of the peppers and onions for me.
Roast dinner - I just buy a small piece of meat and don't serve any up for myself unless I really fancy a piece (the beef looked lovely yesterday so I had a slice).
Weekend breakfasts - I'll have mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, scrambled egg, hash browns and beans, he'll have similar but with bacon and sausage.
Fish finger wraps for him, veggie finger wraps for me.

I'll occasionally use meat substitutes like quorn mince for chilli or spag bol and he might notice but it doesn't affect the taste too much and I sell it as being healthier.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

does he need to know a meal doesnt have meat in? quorn mince is great in bolognese and other things (shepherds pie, etc) and if youre not checking, youd never notice. just say youre using turkey mince or something instead because it was cheap at the supermarket

if youre a chicken nuggets, beans and chips sort of person, the quorn offering isnt really that much different from cheap birdseye nuggets too

if you make curries and other big pot meals, make your sauce like you would normally, then fry off the meat separately, decent half of it into another pan, then add the meat to one, and maybe some extra mushrooms, courgette or some other veggie option to the other pan

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Mince meals are the easiest this way I find. eg for chilli I sauté the mince and onion, garlic etc. Quorn mince with same additions gets microwaved but you could also use another pan. Then I add in the passatta, beans and purée to both bases. This works just as well for Spag Bol, as it’s the same thing more or less.
I also do similar with various other ‘saucey’ meals. The main thing is just to use two saucepans and share the ingredients between them.
I find batch cooking helps a lot, just make sure you label clearly!
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I make the same meal and just switch like about, so in theory if it's a one pot type thing I have 2 pans on the go. We are a family of 6 with one none meat eater. The likes of chilly, bol, cottage pie, I always make 3/4 portions of the lentils/mince and freeze.
Old 27 Sep 21, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Also use two pots so I can add meat into one .
I find things like curries the easiest to do this with.
Also soup is a big staple here, a nice butternut squash one with freshly baked rolls as it’s not really a meal you associate with meat so dh doesn’t really bat an eye 😆
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

We try to do easy to swap options, eg steak and baked potato (one meat, one “veggie alternative steak”, fajitas with all the spices in the veg mix and two pans, one with chicken, the other “fake chicken”, roast dinner with all the veg cooked in a vegetarian style (ie no goose fat potatoes) and then meat or meat alternative being the only difference, gammon, egg and chips (leaving out the gammon slice for the veggie one).

We can definitely tell the difference between meat and veggie mince, but sometimes just to a veggie chilli or something for everyone; mostly, however, it’s two versions of a similar meal.
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

I do a lot of this as my dd is veggie (eats fish though), and me and hubby are not. We do occassionally eat veggie though eg red cabbage biryani with cashewnuts.

Home made fried rice with frys fake nuggets for her, and leftover roast meat or chicken for us
Stir fry noodles with baked salmon for her, and chicken or roasted duck leg for us
Pasta with meatballs (fry off the vivera ones first, put in one pyrex with tom sauce, then fry the meat ones into another pyrex with tom sauce.
Filled pastas and sauces, with maybe added veg and extra meat like fried bacon bits for us.
Macaroni cheese with extra meat such as gammon on side for us.

I do a lot of batch cooking particularly the veggie element as its only for 1, so i have veggie bolognaise portions and some meat ones in the freezer ready to go. I find it easier that way as i may only be cooking one meal from scratch rather than two.

Like a previous poster suggested sometimes make a curry sauce eg muligatawny and then cook some in casserole with chicken, and some with jackfruit.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

I batch cook meat "things' ie chilli/mince/stews/bolognese sauces as starter bases and freeze then simply use that as DH meat component & I have a veggie alternative. We have the same veg etc. But as i'm gluten free I still have to make different pasta etc.
Batch cook pasta sauce/curry sauce etc. While I spend a day in the kitchen batch cooking it pays off in the long run. My freezer is stuffed full atm with chilli, soup, quiche, mince, burgers & fishcakes.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
LittleTibbs
Apprentice Imagineer

I make two different versions of the same meal.
For example, if we’re having a pie, my bf would have meat and on the side have veg. I then use the same veg and just put the pie lid on top. So effectively I have a veggie Sunday dinner in a pie and he has a meat version with the veg on the side.
Also for spaghetti Bolognese, I cook that for him and our little one, but then I’ll cook spaghetti with it and I’ll have pesto pasta instead.
If we have fajitas, he cooks the steak or chicken for him and then I’ll do the veg and sides and then we just kind of have the same but just a slight difference.
To be fair he’s actually eating a lot less meat now so often he’ll just have whatever I’m having.
LittleTibbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List