Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 11 Oct 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

The Most Magical Story on Earth: 50 Years of Walt Disney World

so there was a new 90 minute special on WDW 50th that aired on ABC in the US last week

thanks to antonyJ for the heads up, i went in search of it and watched it yesterday

laughingplace/w/news...ing-on-disney/

ok, so it doesnt seem to be on disney+ in the UK as yet. but if you have some sort of VPN access that gets you into USA disney+ then fire it up over there and you will be able to watch it. personally, i did it on both my mac laptop and my firetv using a NORDVPN account connected to the US. theres an app for both devices (phones/tablets too!) so if you want to try ,maybe sign up for a trial (other providers are available)

theres also a whole new section on USA disney+ about the parks, so you can see tv shows filmed there, as well as a bunch of shows youve already seen (imagineering story, and all the one day... type docs

hopefully it'll just turn up on disney+ UK at some point soon, but for now, if you can make a bit of effort, you can still watch it. maybe now its time for a few more of you to work out VPNs?

ill be around for advice if anyone needs it, use this thread to ask about VPNs for now, and then come back and share your thoughts on the 50th special! i don't believe geographical content blocks like this should be allowed, and at no point is any of this actually illegal, so until they stop blocking things and only making some content available in certain areas, i'll continue to work my way round it! and you should too! it can be done with minimal effort/skills, and will just cost you a small amount for your VPN subscription

as i said, i currently use NORDVPN. been with them a few years now, they have a good easy to use app for it, so highly recommended. theres an example offer here, they crop up regularly, so you can get something like 27 Months for £79.03 (£2.92/month)

but TopCashBack and quidco regularly do offers on top, so you can possibly get it for around £43.28 tracked - TCO £35.75 or £1.32/month

anyway, to start you off, heres a BTS thing...

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
newbi
slightly serious Dibber

Thank so much for this. I’ve been feeling desperately sad recently and had really been looking forward to this program as a bit of light and escapism, was gutted that I couldn’t get it and now you have really made my evening!
Old 16 Oct 21, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I tried this today through my step-dads vpn (IPVanish) and I just couldn’t get it to work Disney + just refused to open, citing error 83. Could get ABC open but it was only available live and then the next day to stream, so missed the boat. Gutted

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
I tried this today through my step-dads vpn (IPVanish) and I just couldn’t get it to work Disney + just refused to open, citing error 83. Could get ABC open but it was only available live and then the next day to stream, so missed the boat. Gutted
are there other US vpn points you can connect to through ipvanish? nordvpn has a load available, so if one doesnt work, try a different one...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
are there other US vpn points you can connect to through ipvanish? nordvpn has a load available, so if one doesnt work, try a different one...
Do you mean locations?

It’s just got USA as a country, can’t see any other options unfortunately! Will have another try later tonight

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Wayne - finally watched it and loved it, brought tear to my eye a couple of times
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I watched last night on the train.
Substantially beat expectations, and included some great historical facts I had never heard before. Such as ‘Figment’ being named after an episode featuring a goat on Magnum PI which an Imagineer watched.
It was a bit odd in that it was a serious and informative documentary about the building of WDW, with the odd ‘to camera’ piece from Whoopi Goldberg and a few songs in front of the castle. Really it could have just been an absolutely cracking 1 hour documentary. I suspect the other bits were added in to bring in a bigger audience compared to just a documentary and also advertise the 50th.
Highly recommended though for Disney history buffs.
Old 20 Oct 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I watched last night on the train.
Substantially beat expectations, and included some great historical facts I had never heard before. Such as ‘Figment’ being named after an episode featuring a goat on Magnum PI which an Imagineer watched.
It was a bit odd in that it was a serious and informative documentary about the building of WDW, with the odd ‘to camera’ piece from Whoopi Goldberg and a few songs in front of the castle. Really it could have just been an absolutely cracking 1 hour documentary. I suspect the other bits were added in to bring in a bigger audience compared to just a documentary and also advertise the 50th.
Highly recommended though for Disney history buffs.
I agree - had hoped it would be like another episode of superb Imagineering Story series but it was not quite that.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List