Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Sep 21, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
clairenutter
Apprentice Imagineer

Planning a solo trip

Hi,

I am in the process of starting to plan a solo trip for Nov 2023. Plan on going for 3 weeks. My thought at the moment are 5 nights at a Universal hotel (thinking Aventura) then the rest of the time in Lake Buena Vista at a Disney Springs Resort Area hotel. Still trying to decide which one. I am thinking either the b resort and Spa, (have stayed there a couple of times before and I really like it) The holiday Inn Disney Springs or the brand new Drurys hotel due to open soon.

I did go solo for 3 nights at the end of my last Orlando trip. (my best pal could get 14 nights off and so they left and flew home and I stayed) I have to confess I absolutely loved it.

Has anyone else done a solo trip? Do you have any tips or advice? Especially in the planning stages? I will be using hotel shuttles to from the hotels to the parks. I dont drive. The rest of the time I will use lift or Uber.

Claire xx
DLP - Hotel Cheyenne 05
Universal Singapore 15
clairenutter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I love solo trips. I'm potentially going with a friend next year (they haven't confirmed yet) and part of me is hoping they decide not to.

I'm booked onsite for the buses and room charging (I like not carrying my wallet around) but may switch to the Wyndham as my preferred dates fall outside of the onsite offer so onsite works out more than I want to pay for it. Drury is also potentially an option, although I do like how close the Wyndham is to the DS bridge. Main thing holding me back at the moment is the limited shuttle service, hoping it goes back to its pre-Covid levels soon.

Although I think the best part of solo is that you don't have to plan as much. Park reservations aside, you can get up and choose whatever you want to do that day. I have planned a couple of things (mainly food!) but the rest will be go with the flow.

Edited at 05:30 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I've done several solo trips to WDW but I usually base myself at a Disney hotel, most often Pop. This is mainly for ease of getting around using Disney transport, plus I personally feel safer staying on site especially when I tend to leave the parks at park close (which can be midnight or after at times). Though also for the other perks of staying at Disney, some of which are now no longer existent (Magical Express and EMH) or as good as they used to be...

In terms of planning - I usually just book flights and hotels, and then any ADRs I desperately want, and then any "extras" I might want to do (like Disney tours). I'm usually quite flexible with solo trips and often change plans once I'm actually there!
Old 3 Sep 21, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Wonder
Imagineer

I've not done a solo trip myself but would love to do one, I think in the next few years I'll probably manage to do a solo week at some point.

In terms of safety I wpiod tell you never to tell people you're on a solo trip when you're going places... Eg. If you're in an uber and the driver is chatty "oh yes my family went ahead to the park/decided to have a slightly later start than me/everyone else left half an hour ago but I just wanted to hit a few extra shops" etc

Regardless of where you're staying don't let it known you're a lone female.

If you're thinking of staying at a Springs partner hotel then consider being as close as possible to Springs/SSR so you don't entirely have to discount Disney transport. The Wyndham is only a 10 minute walk to one of the bus pick up areas at SSR so for early starts (you'd qualify for the morning early entry) you could walk over and use Disney Buses. Likewise at the end of the evening or during the afternoon you could get a Spring bus and walk over to your resort from Springs-honestly it's taken me 15-20 mins to get back to my room in an All Stars Resort from the bus drop off spot before!

All in all I think a solo trip wpiod be ace!
Old 3 Sep 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
clairenutter
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I love solo trips. I'm potentially going with a friend next year (they haven't confirmed yet) and part of me is hoping they decide not to.

I'm booked onsite for the buses and room charging (I like not carrying my wallet around) but may switch to the Wyndham as my preferred dates fall outside of the onsite offer so onsite works out more than I want to pay for it. Drury is also potentially an option, although I do like how close the Wyndham is to the DS bridge. Main thing holding me back at the moment is the limited shuttle service, hoping it goes back to its pre-Covid levels soon.

Although I think the best part of solo is that you don't have to plan as much. Park reservations aside, you can get up and choose whatever you want to do that day. I have planned a couple of things (mainly food!) but the rest will be go with the flow.
That’s exciting. I totally k is what
You mean. About potentially having someone join you. 🤣😂🤣😂. I can see more than one person requesting to join me and yes it would be nice to have their company at times but I am just so looking forward to going solo and doing exactly what I want and when I want it.

As for the planning. 🙈🤭🤣😂. I am such a planner or rather I was to get the absolute max out of fast pass…….so suddenly that’s almost a freedom. Lol.

Have you stayed at the Wyndham before? Did you like it? That was on the list but the holiday inn appeals more. It’s still very walkable to Springs from there!
DLP - Hotel Cheyenne 05
Universal Singapore 15
clairenutter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I haven't (I typically stay onsite) but other friends normally stay there and really rate it which is why I'm considering it if I end up moving my dates to outside of the onsite offer window. Although that's only going to happen on a solo trip, if my friend joins, I will stick with onsite.

I know all of the other Hotel Plaza Blvd hotels aren't that far, it's not a long road. But I like the feeling that it's next door.

Edited at 10:08 PM.
Old 3 Sep 21, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
clairenutter
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I've done several solo trips to WDW but I usually base myself at a Disney hotel, most often Pop. This is mainly for ease of getting around using Disney transport, plus I personally feel safer staying on site especially when I tend to leave the parks at park close (which can be midnight or after at times). Though also for the other perks of staying at Disney, some of which are now no longer existent (Magical Express and EMH) or as good as they used to be...

In terms of planning - I usually just book flights and hotels, and then any ADRs I desperately want, and then any "extras" I might want to do (like Disney tours). I'm usually quite flexible with solo trips and often change plans once I'm actually there!
Aww staying at the hotels I am looking at for Disney Springs you get access to the magic hours (or what ever they are called now) there is also a shuttle directly from the parks that take you to the hotel that are far less crowded than the Disney buses and I love being able to walk to Disney Springs plus if I see a springs bus and think I have just missed a resort bus I can jump on it!

I did look at pop and I thought long and hard about staying at a value hotel. I watched so so many vlogs on them. They all looked really lovely but I get what I feel is more for less money and almost all the perks of a Disney hotel staying at springs resort hotel. Plus the hotels are not nearly as big and it isn’t as far to walk from your room to catch the shuttle. But having said all that it’s quite possible that I change my mind again. I had been looking at a value resort for a long time before I chose a Disney springs hotel. Lol. 🙈😍🤩
DLP - Hotel Cheyenne 05
Universal Singapore 15
Old 3 Sep 21, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
clairenutter
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wonder View Post
I've not done a solo trip myself but would love to do one, I think in the next few years I'll probably manage to do a solo week at some point.

In terms of safety I wpiod tell you never to tell people you're on a solo trip when you're going places... Eg. If you're in an uber and the driver is chatty "oh yes my family went ahead to the park/decided to have a slightly later start than me/everyone else left half an hour ago but I just wanted to hit a few extra shops" etc

Regardless of where you're staying don't let it known you're a lone female.

If you're thinking of staying at a Springs partner hotel then consider being as close as possible to Springs/SSR so you don't entirely have to discount Disney transport. The Wyndham is only a 10 minute walk to one of the bus pick up areas at SSR so for early starts (you'd qualify for the morning early entry) you could walk over and use Disney Buses. Likewise at the end of the evening or during the afternoon you could get a Spring bus and walk over to your resort from Springs-honestly it's taken me 15-20 mins to get back to my room in an All Stars Resort from the bus drop off spot before!

All in all I think a solo trip wpiod be ace!
The walking for 20 mins from the bus drop off back to my room at a Disney resort is one of the main reasons I decided a DS hotel was best for me.

Thank you so much for all your advice. I actually did that sort of thing when I was last in Orlando and I went solo the last couple of days. I kept saying my best friend was with me but was at a shop/toilet/ that type thing. The reason I am splitting my stay is the minimise the amount I would use Uber as I feel resort transportation is safer. I did exactly like you suggested on my last trip and went back to my hotel during the day and often went via Disney Springs if there was a bus. (I was staying the b resort). But the Wyndham is so much closer To springs. That is very appealing.

I hope you manage to do your solo trip one day. 😍
DLP - Hotel Cheyenne 05
Universal Singapore 15
Old 3 Sep 21, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
clairenutter
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I haven't (I typically stay onsite) but other friends normally stay there and really rate it which is why I'm considering it if I end up moving my dates to outside of the onsite offer window. Although that's only going to happen on a solo trip, if my friend joins, I will stick with onsite.

I know all of the other Hotel Plaza Blvd hotels aren't that far, it's not a long road. But I like the feeling that it's next door.
I totally get it. Lol. The Wyndham literally is next door to Springs and if you were walking about on your own it’s most definitely the safer option and if you have been walking about all day the kinder option on your feet. Lol

I did look at the Wyndham but the reviews of the hotel were not as positive as the holiday inn which is why I started favouring it more.
DLP - Hotel Cheyenne 05
Universal Singapore 15
Old 3 Sep 21, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by clairenutter View Post
I totally get it. Lol. The Wyndham literally is next door to Springs and if you were walking about on your own it’s most definitely the safer option and if you have been walking about all day the kinder option on your feet. Lol

I did look at the Wyndham but the reviews of the hotel were not as positive as the holiday inn which is why I started favouring it more.
I did a quick scan of the recent negative reviews on Wyndham and almost all of them were because you had to pay for parking which I discounted since I don't drive. I know I was considering HI at one point but can't remember why I decided against it. Most likely because if it's much the same price and amenities, I may as well be closer.

I will admit though that it's the 6am start for breakfast at Drury that is tempting me the most at the moment. Will be perfect for rope drop!

Edited at 10:32 PM.