Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 21, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
She just doesn’t learn. I think because she has been diabetic since 6 years old she has become complacent about it. But she has always had us to sort her out. I am hoping this morning’s disaster will make her realise that she needs to be careful. Luckily the warden could get into her room when she didn’t respond to the knocking.
She feels sick and has a terrible headache now but at least her bloods are now safe 👍🏻
DS is still the same FT! It’s so hard isn’t it? I can honestly sympathise so much! Glad you managed to sort it and she’s okay though! xx
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Sorry to read this but glad it all worked out with the warden. Hopefully enough of a scare that she will take more care.

Get her to allow calls from you when her phone is on Do Not Disturb/silent.

That way she can turn off to her friends during the night but you can still reach her.

You'll need boundaries though to only call when agreed or in an emergency. She does need space to ignore you when she wants/needs as part of growing up. (Meant in the nicest way).
I didn’t know you could do that. That would be perfect for emergencies. Thank you x x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Thank goodness for modern technology. Diabetes runs in my family, I remember as a young boy my grandmother collapsing numerous times. Once when just her and me were out on a trip and I was about 10. It’s great they have things like this now.
That must have been terrifying for you 😪
Modern technology is certainly a game changer. Even in the 12 years she has been diabetic things have been improved etc
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

My perspective:

Telling her off (I know you didn’t use that language FT but others have) is unlikely to make a difference.

If she is always ‘saved’ by your interventions she may just keep relying on them.

I said something similar in the past - it’s more how she can help herself for future. Are her flat mates clued in/sympathetic or is it too early too say?

I have massive sympathy for you FT - modern tech is a gift for T1 Diabetes but brings its own worries doesn’t it?

I hope DD feels better soon and can get on with enjoying her first few days at Uni.
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

When we un packed her yesterday she didn’t want any yellow boxes on show, she wanted her hypo kit hidden so she put it on top of the wardrobe (still reachable but not easy to grab), she didn’t want any of the flat mates to know she is diabetic etc
I am quite sure they will know something when the warden came banging and shouting at 7:30am this morning. He had to get her kit because she couldn’t move. Silly girl.
She is so intelligent but zero common sense.
Dexcom is not given out lightly it’s expensive and also a postcode lottery but she was given one due to her nocturnal hypos. What a blessing in disguise that was.
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I have coeliac disease, so totally different, but it’s still a condition that attracts a lot of questions and attention and I honestly wish it wouldn’t and I do try to avoid mentioning it unless I have to because I don’t like to feel different. However when situations arise where it’s dangerous for me to not mention it (basically whenever food is involved that I’m expected to eat) then I absolutely mention it.

I can understand where your daughter is coming from, but she and her flat mates are grown adults and I can’t see them making fun of her condition or making her feel embarrassed intentionally. I think it’s quite dangerous for them not to know. How is she suppose to manage her self care correctly if she has to hide it all from them?

I really think she needs to speak to them, so that they know what to look out for.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I didn’t know you could do that. That would be perfect for emergencies. Thank you x x
Add your number to her VIP list - I did that when my Father was alive so my sister (or him) could get through and did it for a friend this week for a personal issue.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh thats not the best start is it, on the first morning too! 🙈 I'm so glad you were able to get help for her, fingers crossed that this was a wake up call for her. Sending you a hug xxxx
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Oh FT you must both have been terrified. Thank god for the warden being great in that situation. I bet it isn't the first time they have seen the issue. Hopefully it may have just given her the push to realise that she needs to look after herself now. She shouldn't be worried about her flatmates knowing, they probably would be more than happy to know and be able to help in that kind of situation. I had a work friend who was diabetic and several times had to help her out when she was having a hypo. I often noticed that she may be going hypo faster than she knew herself sometimes as her speech would start to slur. I was more than happy to keep an eye on her and be at hand. I know teenagers hate for others to know about this kind of stuff but in reality they would probably rather know. Hope she is ok and starts to feel a bit better soon xx
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Perhaps her flatmates could give you their contact details as well, young people seem to forget that a phone should ring not vibrate! 2 of mine never have their volume on. Makes me so cross esp when ds2 needed to get up for a bus trip home !

Yes the warden at accom are usually very accommodating as I found out with bus trip xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List