Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Sep 13, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Cash
Apprentice Imagineer

Swollen Feet & Legs

Hello every one

I am after some help
Every time I get on a flight, about 20 minuets into the flight and I start to feel my feet and leg's swelling, they never go down untill about the 2nd day after returning home. I have even been fitted for medical sock's but nothing help's, the drinking of water to laying down with my feet and leg's raised up slightly higher then my heart, I have tried everything and it really makes me misrable because nothing seems to get the swelling to go down while I am in Florida

What I would like to know is - if any of you suffer the same as I do, how do you cope with it while in florida and have you found anything other then what I have tried to get the swelling to go down.
Old 11 Sep 13, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post

I have the exact same! Not only my feet and legs, but my belly too. I puff up!
Tried the stockings, no fizzy drinks, diuretic tablets, lots of water etc and nothing works. For me, the boating doesn't go down until about a week after I get home
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 13, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
melissa
Earning More Ears

I used to have really bad problems too - very swollen legs and feet that take a couple of days to go down. I now use flight socks and so far, they've been brilliant - very little swelling and nothing the next day. I think I bought mine from Boots
Old 11 Sep 13, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post

I had the same problem on our return flight last time & it's worrying me about our flight next month. One ankle was so swollen & painful after a few days of returning that the doctor sent me straight to hospital for a blood test. It was fine but they told me that next time I flew I had to move around much more & keep drinking water constantly. Easier said than done when its a night flight & I also had my toddler asleep on me the whole flight! I usually avoid drinking too much due to avoiding constant trips to the loo! But going to try my best next time to walk around & drink plenty
Old 11 Sep 13, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by melissa View Post
I used to have really bad problems too - very swollen legs and feet that take a couple of days to go down. I now use flight socks and so far, they've been brilliant - very little swelling and nothing the next day. I think I bought mine from Boots
I think I might try some of these
Old 11 Sep 13, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post

I bought some flight socks from boots at the weekend. The pharmacist told me to put them on before getting out of bed on the morning of flight and not.to take them off until get into bed that night. He said as soon as you stand the fluid is.moving into your legs and ankles. I said I thought theu went on just before flight and he said that wont have the same effect.
Old 12 Sep 13, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I have to use flight sock to help reduce the swelling, they really do help, I wouldn't dream of flying without them now, I have black ones that I wear under black linen trousers so nobody knows I'm wearing them.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 13, 04:18 AM  
Link to this Post
xxSmileyKyliexx
Very Serious Dibber

xxSmileyKyliexx's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Yeah I'd suggest flight socks and drink plenty of water. Perhaps would your dr prescribe some furosemide tablets beforehand incase you require them
xxSmileyKyliexx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 13, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBlonde
Imagineer

DisneyBlonde's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 102
Guidebook Reviews: 4
I used flight socks for the first time last year and thought they were great.

I didn't get any bloating in my legs and I also didn't get restless legs on the first night like I normally do. They made my skin sensitive from wing compressed but a small price to pay.

I put them when I got dressed in the morning and took them off when we got to the villain the night.
2005-Holiday Inn I-Drive * 2007-QII/Boardwalk * 2009-Married December at the Boardwalk/POR/Rolling Hills Villa (TR here) * 2010-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2011 May-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2011 October-Rolling Hills /Boardwalk (TR here) * 2012-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2013-Rolling Hills (TR here) * 2014-Rolling Hills * 2015-Rolling Hills * 2016-Rolling Hills and Boardwalk * 2017-Boardwalk and Rolling Hills

DisneyBlonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 13, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Robbies-tackle
Excited about Disney

Hi. Flight socks are a must. Put them on as soon as you start your journey in the morning. Drink plenty of water. For a 9 hour flight I would aim to drink 2 litres. Avoid alcohol and fizzy drinks completely and make sure you move around frequently. As someone who suffered very badly from swollen ankles following these tips has ensured that my ankles now look normal on arriving. Also make sure the flight socks are the correct size. You can ask to me measured in your local pharmacy.
Robbies-tackle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread