Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 1 Dec 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post

its the flagship resort for disney imho

we have stayed at the Poly ( and never thought we would ) so maybe one day we might make the GF

though the points are massive, so give me twice the stay at OKW
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We own here and love it. The pool area and privacy we feel is more than worth it in our opinion. When we rent out points ( we own VGF and SSR ) ...VGF rents almost immediately .
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Moogles Smith
slightly serious Dibber

We did 11 nights last year and loved every second of it, its a very special place.

Years ago, before owning and ever stepping foot on any Disney resort (always stayed offsite), when we were on the ferry or monorail, especially at nght when its all lit up, we would look over and say 'imagine staying there, what a stunning hotel' etc yet with DVC it has allowed us to make that dream come true.

Stunning grounds, great pools, monorail, boat dock, listening to the band in the lobby, views across the lagoon etc

DVC Owner - Polynesian
Moogles Smith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

After March it will be the only DVC resort I've not stayed in - other than Riviera - and the points cost is largely to blame for that.

I'd like to try it sometime but just get tempted away by other resorts which are far fewer points and don't feel like a compromise.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
patpluto
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We did a big splurge for my milestone birthday and stayed two weeks including 4th July, the rooms are lovely and i do have a ‘thing’ for watching monorails passing it was lovely relaxing in bed seeing them pass or waving to people in them when they saw me on the balcony 😂🙈, I also loved having a room which could see magic kingdoms fireworks nightly only downside was the neighbours kept talking through them pretty loudly😔.
All this being said I wouldn’t be rushing back to it I feel like it’s once and done I’d rather keep the points and have more nights elsewhere.
patpluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We’ve stayed a few nights and it was a gorgeous Resort. However, the one beds plus are far superior than the studios. No storage at all in the studios. It also took us ages getting the monorail to Epcot, we ended up taking our hire car.
Old 15 Jan 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

going a bit against the grain here but we have stayed often at OKW and love it, also have often rented points for a one night stay in other DVC resorts and have to say the only one we've been dissapointed with is the GF. We loved the location, the fact the monorail stops right outside and the main hotel lobby is stunning however the landings, hallways etc of the dvc bit are drab and lacklusture and feels isolated and not part of the atmosphere of the main hotel. The studio room we had was not impressive and in need of some TLC and a bit of a refurb. As an example the carpet was badly patched and there were wear marks on the patch where the bed leg feet were broken and rubbing on the carpet, this had odviously been going on for months and was the reason the carpet had been patched in the first place, i have no idea why they couldn't have done a better job of the carpet and why they didn't repair the bed at the same time so it didn't happen again.
if we had been staying any more than one night i would have asked to be moved, in our experience it certainly wasn't worth the extra and definately not up to the standard you would expect of a hotel of that price

Paul

Edited at 09:55 AM.
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

The problem with DVC is that not all the installs were hard wearing and with a 100% occupancy rate, and often 5 crammed in a studio with the Murphy bed (a bad idea in my view) they have not always worn well. It tends to be the studios that suffer most, often the 1 beds are in much better condition.
Added to that you gave very long refurb times, now it’s been reduced to 17 years I think for the full refurb.
DVC should be more proactive about smartening up the rooms in my view- most of us will remember Tom’s infamous Saratoga audit last year.
I’ve not only seen complaints about GFV recently in various places, looking worn, but also Poly is wearing badly- another 5 bed studio. BRV is on its last legs with often awful couches from the videos I have seen. Simply pulling out a lot of these couches and putting in a new Murphy sofa in many of these rooms would immeasurably improve them.
As I say though my 1 beds the last few years have been in very good condition. The last 2 years I’ve stayed in Beach Club, Boardwalk, Kidani and BLT and the condition has been very good in every one- even though Kidani was done quite a while back.
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The problem with DVC is that not all the installs were hard wearing and with a 100% occupancy rate, and often 5 crammed in a studio with the Murphy bed (a bad idea in my view) they have not always worn well. It tends to be the studios that suffer most, often the 1 beds are in much better condition.
Added to that you gave very long refurb times, now it’s been reduced to 17 years I think for the full refurb.
DVC should be more proactive about smartening up the rooms in my view- most of us will remember Tom’s infamous Saratoga audit last year.
I’ve not only seen complaints about GFV recently in various places, looking worn, but also Poly is wearing badly- another 5 bed studio. BRV is on its last legs with often awful couches from the videos I have seen. Simply pulling out a lot of these couches and putting in a new Murphy sofa in many of these rooms would immeasurably improve them.
As I say though my 1 beds the last few years have been in very good condition. The last 2 years I’ve stayed in Beach Club, Boardwalk, Kidani and BLT and the condition has been very good in every one- even though Kidani was done quite a while back.
Makes sense, when we stay at OKW its always a one bed and always very good condition, when we rent points its always a studio for a night or two, The GF was definately the tattiest and most in need of an update out of any of the DVC resorts we have stayed at, possibly worsened by the fact that we had fairly high expectations with its reputation, whereas we loved the beach club and animal kingdom lodge ( The only thing that would put me off staying there again is its comparitively remote location but loved the resort itself)

Paul

Edited at 09:03 PM.
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jimboxlo
Helping Minnie

Mobile

We've been their twice and loved it. Beautiful location, such a relaxed atmosphere and the fact you can get the launch to the Magic Kingdom, the only way to arrive👍
jimboxlo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List