Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Aug 21, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
We don't use a satnav in the Orlando area unless we're having one of our trips off the beaten track when we just use "Here we go" on Joan's mobile.

I remember though back in 2013 when we flew in and out of MIA for the first and only time. Didn't worry on arrival as we were staying on Collins Avenue prior to cruising from Port Lauderdale and then picked a car up to drive to Highgate Park.

For our return trip to MIA however I "drove" the last few miles between the 27 and MIA on Goggle and printed screen shots of all the junctions. That way Joan was able to say "at the next light you need to be in the left lane" etc.

Now I just post screen shots of the first toll plaza on 417 south from MCO or the "no turn on red" sign leaving CVS and joining 27 at Berry Town Center.

Mick
You are vastly more experienced than I, when it comes to driving USA and I increasingly book driving vacations. Even after 10 visits and many thousands of miles, the Satnav (with split screen viewing at junctions) is my god.

If it broke, then I would not divert at all, going to the nearest Walmart and buying another one immediately. Phones? Forget it. I am driving, so I want to see the screen.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

This turn right on red I will have to look up.

What if you want to go left 😂
Ohanaa is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 21, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
You are vastly more experienced than I, when it comes to driving USA and I increasingly book driving vacations. Even after 10 visits and many thousands of miles, the Satnav (with split screen viewing at junctions) is my god.

If it broke, then I would not divert at all, going to the nearest Walmart and buying another one immediately. Phones? Forget it. I am driving, so I want to see the screen.
We will defo need a sat nav. Easier then using our phones, even though we have a IPhone 11 & 12
Ohanaa is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 21, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

Only in the Sunshine State CFB maybe.

Our experience of visiting the US of A is far short of yours. Didn't even think about hiring a car in San Fran, Vegas or New York as all our excursions were planned with tour companies. We did hire in Boston to drive to and around Cape Cod

Would love to see more of the States but sadly we're both 75 and both post-cancer so Highgate Park is now an easy option for us. Exploring Florida's 65,700 square miles beyond WDW is just the job for us now.

Mick
Old 8 Aug 21, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

When the Mercedes augmented reality sat nav came out was the last time I ever took a wrong turn in that car. Excellent development.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 21, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
When the Mercedes augmented reality sat nav came out was the last time I ever took a wrong turn in that car. Excellent development.
I have never seen this! Perhaps I need to.

Just utubed it. Absolutely astonishing. My only fear would be that I would drive the car from the screen, rather than by looking through the windscreen!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:45 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 21, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Ohanaa View Post
This turn right on red I will have to look up.

What if you want to go left 😂
Mentioned in the DIBB guide that I posted back in post #11 but it's very useful at the vast majority of traffic lights unless there's a specific sign saying "No turn on red"

Basically treat it like a "give way" and you must allow priority to traffic on the road you're joining and any pedestrians crossing in front of you.

Who would believe that we haven't used our discount card at CVS since Nov 2019.

But this is the light we encounter before turning north on the 27 back to Highgate Park. You can see the sign hanging near the overhead traffic lights. But more often the sign is at eye level on a post.

Mick

Edited at 12:56 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
captainuk
Trying for More Ears

I think that it is rather important to separate the driving in the rest of the USA from the driving within the Orlando/ Tampa/ tourist area.
As you say, it seems less frantic in much of the rest of the USA and even pleasurable. Around Orlando, a significant number are foreign visitors, not used to US driving rules and protocols.. and of course many snowbirds, not used to the congestion.
I exclude LA. That is never pleasurable and a big reason why next year I will be flying from SL Obispo to San Diego.
LA is a nightmare, nothing like Orlando. We had two days there and I couldn't wait to leave. Spent more time standing still in traffic than moving. Needed to add at least 20 minutes to each journey time.

Once out of LA and heading to San Diego things were much better. And the next leg up to Sedona and the Grand Canyon was a pleasure.

Orlando is so much more layed back.

Old 8 Aug 21, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
captainuk
Trying for More Ears

My sat nave decided to go belly up in San Diego. So I did exaclty what you suggested and went to a local Walmart and picked up a new one.

Thought "sorted" until I turned it on, everything was in Spanish.

Luckily most locals speak Spanish so a nice lad changed all of the setting for me into English PHEW.
Old 8 Aug 21, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

I have never seen this! Perhaps I need to.

Just utubed it. Absolutely astonishing. My only fear would be that I would drive the car from the screen, rather than by looking through the windscreen!
You don't though you get used to it really quickly. With previous sat navs I often took the wrong turns off complicated junctions especially abroad when there was a car full giving me lots of advice. Now it's almost too easy.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List