Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Sep 21, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by porridge View Post
My daughter has been lucky. She got a fairly nice two bed student house with her boyfriend (I’m just hoping everything works out for them!). But a lot of students don’t even think about sharing with only one or two people. The houses that sleep 6 or 8 people, aren’t designed to have that many people living there - so you end up with a small kitchen and a couple of tiny bathrooms. My daughter’s house was built as a two bed, so the rooms are good sizes. They have lots of room, and the cost per month is less per person than her friends who are sharing with 6 people.
Last year her halls were almost £7000! But I have to say they were nice. But the washing machine situation is terrible at all the unis. The machines swallow your money, or they are so busy, you have to get up at 6am to use them. I’m glad they have their own machine now.
Fingers crossed for them, but would say keep a Plan B in mind. Dd was going to be with her boyfriend long term, had lived together for 2 years... before she even went to uni... they had a lovely flat together... but that went wrong at the end of the uni year and left her in a right pickle. Sorted it out in the end, but it has been a bit of a stressful time.

The reason people share in big numbers , 5 or 6 etc, is that the more people you share with, the more people there are to absorb the costs when something goes wrong.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

DS2 had just completed his MA at York, finding accommodation last summer was a nightmare but thankfully the one he chose was great. It may need a lick of paint here and there but his landlady who lives nearby is a total star.
Whenever they’ve had a problem it has been sorted out the same day. She invested in housing for students and young professionals after her own children went to Uni and she saw how bad some of the accommodation was, she’s an excellent cook and often WhatsApp’s the house to come and collect food that’s she made.
DS only has positive words about his stay there. He chose an area that is about a 15min walk to the Uni in one direction and a 10-15 min walk to the centre of York.
Buzz242 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
DS2 had just completed his MA at York, finding accommodation last summer was a nightmare but thankfully the one he chose was great. It may need a lick of paint here and there but his landlady who lives nearby is a total star.
Whenever they’ve had a problem it has been sorted out the same day. She invested in housing for students and young professionals after her own children went to Uni and she saw how bad some of the accommodation was, she’s an excellent cook and often WhatsApp’s the house to come and collect food that’s she made.
DS only has positive words about his stay there. He chose an area that is about a 15min walk to the Uni in one direction and a 10-15 min walk to the centre of York.
she sounds so lovely! Your ds has dropped on lucky there .location sounds ideal too ! If my son had ended up at York I would have been asking you for her number
CRUELLA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 21, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by CRUELLA View Post
she sounds so lovely! Your ds has dropped on lucky there .location sounds ideal too ! If my son had ended up at York I would have been asking you for her number
I would gladly pass her number on to anyone who needed accommodation, can’t begin to list all the kindness she gives to her tenants - they’re more like extended family
Buzz242 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
madhatter3
Imagineer

madhatter3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
I would gladly pass her number on to anyone who needed accommodation, can’t begin to list all the kindness she gives to her tenants - they’re more like extended family
My daughter is looking at york st John for next year, so come 2 yrs time will be looking at student houses. Be interested in the details of the landlady please. X

madhatter3 hat trick pre tripee april 16http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=11091819#post11091819
madhatter3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 21, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

I agree they often get a raw deal for the cost versus the standard of accomodation. It's supply and demand so they've got you over a barrel really. DD stayed in private halls in Manchester, we were a couple of miles too near distance wise for her to get into Uni halls. The halls were decent but expensive, the first year she worked a few hours some evenings on the front reception desk so that was handy. She moved to a slightly cheaper place the next year and the last year did a house share with a friend. The house looked good on first inspection but the smell of fresh paint should have sounded alarm bells. Mould started to come through the walls when it got cold. She got out of the contract and came home for the last six months of Uni. Worked hard and got a First so worth all the pain in the end 😀
DS went to London and we paid a small fortune for his accomodation in Greenwich . He only did a year but had a lovely time eating and drinking round London 😂
Edited to say don't all students bring back bin bags full of washing home every few weeks 😁
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 11:32 AM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 21, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My daughters halls at Southampton were hit or miss, her friend had only girls and was lovely, her other friend got a bigger room also lovely. Her and her male mate had standard accommodation with on suite and had pokey dated rooms. I think if you can find out the best rooms it’s worthwhile x

She just told me the front room window has no curtains so everyone looks in at her uni house, she bought stick on blinds. I told her if she told me I’d of spoken to the landlord or put up curtains, my dh is a builder so could put up a rail but she told mr no not to say anything
Old 29 Sep 21, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I don’t wish to sound dramatic but a combination of a Dexcom meter and the fast action from university of Liverpool’s warden and medical staff most likely saved our daughters life last Saturday morning. She was unable to be woke up from a severe hypo, within minutes from us ringing the warden (less than 5 minutes) they were in her room and addressing the situation. Liverpool’s accommodation is extremely expensive but that moment as made it worth ever penny.
Its certainly reassuring to know that there are wardens in every block available 24 hours a day. Its also secure, you can’t even get i to the court yard without a key thing so thats good too 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
OMG well done UoL on that one - hope your daughter is fully recovered now FT.

I think halls can be really good or really bad and anywhere in between. I’ve seen my eldest DD in both extremes - my DS was only in halls for first year and that was fine but space was limited - as we expected.
DS has lived in several private rentals of varying quality but all shared a general ‘cramped and worn out’ vibe.
The halls are expensive but the safe feeling is good for freshers living away from home for the first time,especially where support is so close by.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List