Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Dec 21, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Audi since 2019 has been putting these in. Whether it’s every car I doubt it. Yours may have it as it is in, say an S3. The dealer should be able to confirm but if I was betting I would say yes. I think Audi keys sleep after about 15 mins which is quite a long time, so bear in mind, although in reality these thefts happen in the dead of night. I believe the Audi dealer can actually turn off the keyless entry as well (why all manufacturers don’t make it so you can turn it off or on on the screen like Tesla I have no idea, maybe that will become more common).
Great. Thank you for checking
It’s going in for a service soon so I’ll ask them
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
I’ve googled it but can’t see if my Jaguar e pace has one. It’s a 21 plate.
Any help please, YT?
They implemented advance encryption on that (like Tesla did when they updated my key in the car) which will make it harder. Land Rover keys have some accelerometers in now, but unsure if iPace does so don’t count on it, but will be harder to steal due to encryption. Probably faraday pouch it though to be sure (I still switch it off on mine despite the encryption improvements and put pin to drive on).
Old 3 Dec 21, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

They implemented advance encryption on that (like Tesla did when they updated my key in the car) which will make it harder. Land Rover keys have some accelerometers in now, but unsure if iPace does so don’t count on it, but will be harder to steal due to encryption. Probably faraday pouch it though to be sure (I still switch it off on mine despite the encryption improvements and put pin to drive on).
Ok thanks, I keep it in a tin in a cupboard anyway so hopefully this helps.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Mmm, must check mine especially as I got the new car on Tuesday.
I believe there’s a option to turn off keyless entry on some cars too. Check the handbook if you have it folks
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

YT how do I know if my new KIA X-Ceed has this please, its a 71 plate
Old 3 Dec 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
What is it, I will check.
Hi YT

We are getting an Audi A5. It's a 70 reg. Fingers crossed it has this technology? My Husband checked in the manual and he couldn't find any info on it at all.

Can you check for me please?

Thanks

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Johnnyp View Post
I believe there’s a option to turn off keyless entry on some cars too. Check the handbook if you have it folks
Be hard to get in mine then as there is no key!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
YT how do I know if my new KIA X-Ceed has this please, its a 71 plate
I am not aware Kia has this yet. Or Hyundai.
Old 3 Dec 21, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
Hi YT

We are getting an Audi A5. It's a 70 reg. Fingers crossed it has this technology? My Husband checked in the manual and he couldn't find any info on it at all.

Can you check for me please?

Thanks
Audi A5s certainly from a few years ago have a high vulnerability. Our town has had a spate of thefts, including my next door neighbour who had his taken a year ago. Thieves did not even have to relay, there was a device which gave them access to remotely open the door and then they started it up via the OBD port. I was amazed to watch the CCTV, as no relay required. I know quite a bit about this stuff and even I was surprised to see how they got in that. The gang with the same device took multiple A5s and Q5s from our town. However a 70 reg may have new key, I’d check. But as it wasn’t a relay, the key may not save it unless they have plugged the vulnerability. I would recommend a steering lock on the A5 currently.

Best keys are BMW. They now have the motion sensor in, but give loads of data on interrogation. As long as it’s driven a minimal distance for example, with a BMW key you can see how far it’s driven, when the key was last used etc all from reading it. Best technology. Merc is also good.

BMW are going the way of Tesla Model 3 and also introducing an iKey across the range which is an app and can be used with an Apple phone, quite securely.

Edited at 06:25 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Audi A5s certainly from a few years ago have a high vulnerability. Our town has had a spate of thefts, including my next door neighbour who had his taken a year ago. Thieves did not even have to relay, there was a device which gave them access to remotely open the door and then they started it up via the OBD port. I was amazed to watch the CCTV, as no relay required. I know quite a bit about this stuff and even I was surprised to see how they got in that. The gang with the same device took multiple A5s and Q5s from our town. However a 70 reg may have new key, I’d check. But as it wasn’t a relay, the key may not save it unless they have plugged the vulnerability. I would recommend a steering lock on the A5 currently.

Best keys are BMW. They now have the motion sensor in, but give loads of data on interrogation. As long as it’s driven a minimal distance for example, with a BMW key you can see how far it’s driven, when the key was last used etc all from reading it. Best technology. Merc is also good.

BMW are going the way of Tesla Model 3 and also introducing an iKey across the range which is an app and can be used with an Apple phone, quite securely.
The BMW App is good, I can see where my car is, what the diesel level is, the trips it's done, turn on the air to heat the car before getting in without turning the engine on and a host of other things - None of which I use.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List