Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Dec 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
To be blunt, anyone taking their family 5,000 miles from home at any time with “just enough” money needs their head examining. During a pandemic it’s beyond belief. Can’t afford it - don’t go.

Plus it seems from other Dibb threads that people are going without knowing how/where to get tests required before they can leave the US. Then panic, post an “Urgent” on here and waste their last day or so’s holiday rushing around looking for somewhere that will do them at short notice.

A 3rd bunch have no idea what is or is not covered by their insurance.

Foolish or just ditsy ? I’m speechless.

By the way, I’m not one of your despised millionaires.
Exactly this... 👍
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Belle99 View Post
I completely agree. I know from experience how it feels to be stranded thousands of miles away from home. No amount of planning or preparation can prepare you for how you are going to feel or how you will cope mentally or emotionally in those circumstances. You can tick all the preparation boxes you like but it doesn’t prepare you for the body blow and panic when things go wrong. The OP asked for help and support, not a bashing from people who mostly have the luxury of being sat in their own homes, and are not going through what this family are.
There’s another very useful thread for advice and tips for travelling in a pandemic. This thread is to respond to the OP asking for help/ support from fellow dibbers. If you don’t feel you can give that then surely the kind thing to do is to scroll on.
Exactly this 💗 when we were there it changed from lat flo to pcr for return and then changed to having to do test to return , my son called to let us know but we already knew thanks to the dibb and had ordered our pcr so that we could get our codes needed for our return forms and again on where to get our test to return done over there , the dibb is my go to every time I’m away if something crops up and always great help and advice , lately I think the pandemic has worn some peoples patience and some responses I personally feel are uncalled for and unhelpful, as others have said your being asked for help and advice if you can’t offer it scroll by ! We don’t go with lots of money or have thousands in the bank just incase but we do pay for insurance for this reason exactly , now if you have never had cause to claim insurance when abroad you may well not be aware that it is not as straightforward as picking up a phone and asking for help , something else I learned a few years ago when my elderly sister had a bad fall and nationwide insurance where appalling I reached out on the dibb for advice as I was in a complete panic and got lots of help and not one single put down for not knowing how to deal with things ! So please people , take a deep breath before you get stuck in even if you can’t understand someone’s predicament try and put yourself in their position and if you can’t comprehend that then just don’t comment xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

I for one am actually grateful for this thread. As someone who has, as I’m sure the majority of us have on this board, travelled extensively for many years, I have been very fortunate not to have needed medical assistance or insurance help in the past at all.

Thanks to the OP, albeit very sad that he has had to go through it, it’s made this possibility seem far more real than it has in the past.

Personally we have always taken extra credit cards and would be able to pay for extra accommodation etc, but as someone that gets emotional and stressed, I could well imagine that I would reach out here on the dibb and come across as very worried and stressed if I found myself in the OPs situation. I imagine it has been quite an isolating and lonely experience.

Could I afford to pay the extras if insurance didn’t pay out? I’m sure we would be ok. Would I find the stress of sorting it out miles from home and stuck in a hotel room with an ill partner and potentially getting ill myself hard? absolutely!

We also see many posts with people travelling without credit cards etc as they don’t like them etc, perhaps this thread will help those without them reconsider.

It has certainly made me think more about the possibility of this ACTUALLY happening - it feels much more likely and real now that it’s happened, sadly more than once on these boards over the last few weeks. So hopefully if it subsequently happened to me it would now be less daunting as I’d be more prepared.

Hope you get home really soon OP & great news about your phone - I think I would of cried and cried about that with everything else going on!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
I for one am actually grateful for this thread. As someone who has, as I’m sure the majority of us have on this board, travelled extensively for many years, I have been very fortunate not to have needed medical assistance or insurance help in the past at all.

Thanks to the OP, albeit very sad that he has had to go through it, it’s made this possibility seem far more real than it has in the past.

Personally we have always taken extra credit cards and would be able to pay for extra accommodation etc, but as someone that gets emotional and stressed, I could well imagine that I would reach out here on the dibb and come across as very worried and stressed if I found myself in the OPs situation. I imagine it has been quite an isolating and lonely experience.

Could I afford to pay the extras if insurance didn’t pay out? I’m sure we would be ok. Would I find the stress of sorting it out miles from home and stuck in a hotel room with an ill partner and potentially getting ill myself hard? absolutely!

We also see many posts with people travelling without credit cards etc as they don’t like them etc, perhaps this thread will help those without them reconsider.

It has certainly made me think more about the possibility of this ACTUALLY happening - it feels much more likely and real now that it’s happened, sadly more than once on these boards over the last few weeks. So hopefully if it subsequently happened to me it would now be less daunting as I’d be more prepared.

Hope you get home really soon OP & great news about your phone - I think I would of cried and cried about that with everything else going on!
I agree 100%. I normally would never travel with a credit card. I have always taken cash and my debit card. That may sound crazy to some people, but that’s just how my family and I always travelled. Now however, I will always take a credit card with me, so that I have extra financial cover if I ever need it.

Whilst the additional testing requirements are making travel more stressful, I will take that stress over the mental torture of being stuck at home 😊
stacy87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
daunty
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Wow just wow - I am being helpful. If people followed this basic advice they wouldn’t come unstuck. Then the Dibb wouldn’t be littered with cries for help.

But as always, people only want sympathy, can’t handle comments that don’t agree with them.

I make no apology. If my post helps even one person who is in the midst of planning their trip, it will be worthwhile.

Empathy, support and advice are what is needed. Not criticism and ridicule.
Old 31 Dec 21, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by pluto99 View Post
I have not asked for sympathy we already had it in our heads we would have to pay every thing ourselves to start with any way only wanted some numbers as we was having no joy and maybe alternative accommodation if we couldn’t have stayed here
Mate, as someone who went through hell in Disney in the few days before TC went under, I know how stressed you are. I didnt know if Id have to pay extra for flights etc, to claim when back. If, if, if I had, if I hadnt and all that. You have had some stupid replies and some downright malicious. Dont go on a 5 grand holiday unless youve got 8 grand, my a**e. Bal*s to the lot of them.
You will get home and all this stress will be a memory quicker than you know. Hold tight and when you get back, we will have to get together for a nice pint of Strongbow Dark Fruit
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by daunty View Post
Empathy, support and advice are what is needed. Not criticism and ridicule.
Well said
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I hope the day never comes when someone fears to ask for help on here. And even I'm a bit concerned about asking for a hand hold regarding testing.

Edited at 12:45 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I hope the day never comes when someone fears to ask for help on here. And even I'm a bit concerned about asking for a hand hold regarding testing.
I’ll always hold your hand, you have held mine enough ❤️
Colette-S is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

The rules change so often it is easy to get confused.

I hope all gets sorted for the OP and thanks to those who have clarified things for the rest of us.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List