Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jan 22, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Personally no I wouldn't.

Also, is one week enough? Two weeks would be safer, gives you time to develop symptoms/test positive and get a 7 day negative test.

Also everyone travelling would need to isolate too, so limited shopping, other clubs, gym, work, etc.

For me it's just all too much.

We travelled this year to Lanzarote, kids PCR tested to go and we all tested to return. We didn't isolate and just hoped for the best and planned for the worst.
Blue nose is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by PeachyLemons View Post
I’m surprised at the responses to this, and it’s not something I had considered, but makes sense.

We are going 2 weeks today, but my son (9) is going to school up to the day we go on holiday. He’s had a month off for Christmas (they finished on the 10th Dec as they had a class outbreak of Covid) and just can’t justify taking him out, he is already going to miss 2 1/2 weeks just for the holiday. I’m just going to get him to wear a mask when on the school bus as that’s pretty much all I can do.

Never been more stressed as I am right now…I’m really worried but there is nothing I can do as my husband cannot work from home, so it’s going to be nail biting right up to the day before.
Your braver than me lol
Fingers crossed for you and hopefully with the Christmas break it may have slightly broken up how rife it’s been in schools just before they broke up for Christmas, I was half expecting the gov to maybe just give the schools another week or two off
But suppose they don’t want kids to have any more time then they have already and even though school kids are big spreaders, we know omicron is generally on the whole mild!
🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 for you😉
glenandem is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

We are quite a while away from our holiday but as we are going in term time anyway (we have been accepted due to the armed forces covenant and my husband being on tour) I personally wouldn't.

When the time comes if covid is as transmitable as it is at the moment, I'm going to panic. Especially about our son boarding but my husband will still be in work, I will still go shopping, you literally could catch it anywhere.

At the end of the day though, you have to make the decision for you and your family. None of our opinions really matter. Have a lovely holiday x
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 22, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Yensid25
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by lfc_sarah View Post
We are quite a while away from our holiday but as we are going in term time anyway (we have been accepted due to the armed forces covenant and my husband being on tour) I personally wouldn't.

When the time comes if covid is as transmitable as it is at the moment, I'm going to panic. Especially about our son boarding but my husband will still be in work, I will still go shopping, you literally could catch it anywhere.

At the end of the day though, you have to make the decision for you and your family. None of our opinions really matter. Have a lovely holiday x
Thank you
Yensid25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I would do if circumstances were different but I can’t as my daughter is in year 6 and only finishes her sats on the 12th May and we go on the 18th.

We are also away for 22 days and she will miss 2 weeks of school as well as we are going in term time (1 week is a school holiday).
Ohanaa is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Merrykerry
Earning More Ears

Absolutely do it. It's only a week! It will make zero difference to their education or future! You don't want the little buggers catching covid and wrecking the whole thing for everyone!
Merrykerry is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 01:35 AM  
Link to this Post
fissycist
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Bear in mind that the school may have a different view.
DD2 was marked down as taking unauthorised leave from school because she stayed home from school awaiting her PCR result following DD1 testing positive on LFT.
Unfortunately DD2, my and DH PCR tests were inconclusive (poor batch methinks because DH and I have been carrying out weekly PCR for many months as required for NHS job)
So DD, DH and I all carried out repeat PCRs and DD2 home schooled whilst we awaited second result as advised by information provided on the school website.
It turns out that the school had changed to following government guidelines but hadn’t and still hasn’t the school website.
I received a snotty text from the school advising that she would be marked down as taking unauthorised leave. We phoned the school multiple times to try and sort it out. Eventually the attendance officer phoned back and DD went into school but ended up coming back quickly because she was stressed that she may give her friends Covid. (Probably rightly so so because both DH and I tested positive over the next couple of days!)
I am so angry because she was actually carrying out her repeat PCR Test when she was put down for unauthorised leave. However I am fed up with trying to sort it out and am beyond caring when we were following the information provided and were trying to do the right thing
fissycist is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

I can imagine the stress and i can understand your reasons for wanting to take them out but for us it would be a no, as they’ve missed so much already.

Also, with omicron as spreadable as it seems to be you could take them out of school and pick it up in the supermarket.

I empathise with you - the pre holiday period is stressful enough in normal times x
HelenLime is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireRose
Proud to wear my Ears

Each family situation is different and there's obviously differing opinions. I intended to let our 12 year old miss the last 4 days of school before breaking up for Christmas. What with all the stress in the run up I let him have the whole 5 days off. His attendance prior to this was 100% and there are no concerns with him being able to catch up. Did I feel totally comfortable him missing a full week? No, but in our family circumstances I'm glad we did it. It was right for us as a one-off, but it's not something I would do again. Primary school (apart from Y6 and SATs) is a different thing in my opinion anyway. We took our girls out of primary for one holiday only and they missed a few days at school. Education and attendance are important, but so is family time and if the only way you can have a family break is by missing a few days as a one-off then I say go for it!
YorkshireRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Yensid25
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by YorkshireRose View Post
Each family situation is different and there's obviously differing opinions. I intended to let our 12 year old miss the last 4 days of school before breaking up for Christmas. What with all the stress in the run up I let him have the whole 5 days off. His attendance prior to this was 100% and there are no concerns with him being able to catch up. Did I feel totally comfortable him missing a full week? No, but in our family circumstances I'm glad we did it. It was right for us as a one-off, but it's not something I would do again. Primary school (apart from Y6 and SATs) is a different thing in my opinion anyway. We took our girls out of primary for one holiday only and they missed a few days at school. Education and attendance are important, but so is family time and if the only way you can have a family break is by missing a few days as a one-off then I say go for it!
Thank you 😊
This holiday like most other peoples has been booked since 2019 and rearranged several times.

The original booking was for me my son and fiancé plus my mum and step dad.
My stepdad passed away suddenly (1 week after he and mum finally got married after so long together)

We miss him and wish he was still here to finally come on this holiday … it’s been an emotional journey and it almost feels more than a holiday now. It will certainly feel like we should have an extra seat on the plane with us.

I really appreciate all the comments and grateful that they have been polite and kind without judgement this is what the DIBB is good at

Thank you all will let you know what I decide to do
Yensid25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List