Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 12 Jan 22, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
thecheshiredad
Excited about Disney

:) Just Back, A Report of Sorts

Hi All,

So we're not long back from our Xmas/NY trip to WDW. I thought i'd share a few nuggets about our trip overall and some of the experiences we had.

Firstly, the flights.

We flew with Virgin in PE. Despite declaring a couple hour delay they pulled it back to around 45mins so not big deal. (it was due to a lack of cabin crew but they managed to share with their Barbados flight). Miss England, as the plane was named was not really pageant ready. Upon reaching her seat my daughter found the armrest came away in her hand (it was repaired quickly though).
Later discovered that those in the economy cabin had no in flight entertainment (assuming for the entire duration).
This led to the bizarre scenario of the crew hosting an in-flight quiz for the passengers.

Coming back, flight was on time. A bit bumpy but otherwise fine. Still had the same choice of films etc as previous month though.

Tried to order some duty free on board but they didn't have what i was after (need to pre-order i understand, a failing on my part)

Meals going out were adequate, i had the jerk chicken which was fine enough. The appetiser (some king of quiche i think) was tasteless. 'Afternoon tea' i can only recall the scone which was warm/tasty.

No pre-flight pretzels, no warm handtowels but we did get the chocolate digestives (replaced the usual choc ice)

Coming back was actually quite good. Had the vegetarian option which was a pesto pasta. The dessert, a strawberry cheesecake was a little odd, no biscuit base but still not bad. The breakfast was reasonable too. A fruit and oats bircher that tasted better than it looked and a dry cheese croissant (pass!).

We did ask both times if we could upgrade to UC using Flying club points but no dice. We have sooo many points and can never use them it seems.

The Accomodations

We were a bit nomadic this trip. Mostly due to scarcity of DVC rooms available for more than a couple days which meant resort hopping.

As we only did WDW for the last 2 of our 3 week stay we chose to stay at the Grove resort for the first 6 nights.

Its around 15-20 minutes drive east of WDW, just off 192.
We got a 2-bed suite for our family of 5 and the rooms were huge! Absolutely could not fault their rooms for space. It had everything you'd need in terms of kitchen amenities, a sizeable balcony and a walk in wardrobe larger than some of our rooms at home.

The resort also has an on-site waterpark and although small in scale, it had a fun lazy river and a couple of decent slides.

The resort itself is pretty large and our room was in the building farthest from the pool/waterpark which was a little inconvenient.

The resort parking is covered within the buildings which would be a plus during warmer months. The walkways from the car park to the room were very bare which i found strange.

The on site marketplace was very good and had all the essentials as well as standard counter-serve options (hot dogs/pizza etc).

Only visited the restaurant (Valencia) once, which was for breakfast but again, perfectly good and sizeable portions. Not over-priced either.

We probably didn't take enough advantage of the resort amenities as we were out and about a lot. There's a boating lake with some watersport options/fishing (on the amusingly titled Austin Powers Lake) and an indoor crazy golf/arcade thing that we only took a quick look at but never got back to.

Would we go back? Perhaps, but maybe as a base when planning more off-site trips over to the east coast or such like. As it was, we still spent most of our time in and around Disney and it was just an awkward distance away on a busy stretch of road. A car was essential too I'd say as its a little off the beaten track should you want to visit some of the nearby shops and restaurants.

The Polynesian Bugalow!

Had to keep this one under wraps from the kiddos but we spent xmas eve in one of these. The lack of adjacent DVC availability meant we could either book one of these bad boys for a bajillion points or keep trying to find days here and potentially be bouncing from resort to resort. The solution was to book PoR out of pocket and spend a single night/Christmas morning in a bungalow. It might well be the one and only time we do it given the amount of points it eats up.

It was so worth it though. It really is fabulous and the views out there on lagoon are hard to beat. The kids got a bed each which they were pleased about and of course, Santa still stopped by Beautifully decorated and the shower in the master bedroom was superb. There were no cats nearby to swing inside it but i can guarantee its possible (the alternative Gator was less palatable).

The plunge pool on the rear deck was small but great to just sit and soak in the surroundings and sounds. Or, view the fireworks from which are also piped in as well as the resort loops. The hanging basket chairs were a cool feature also.

The only minor issue we had was that the room was not ready until around 5pm. Apparently the bungalows take longer to clean so this is not uncommon but when it costs so much to stay in one of these they should really endeavor to have them ready by regular check-in time.

Id love to stay in one again but it was really only a tick on the Disney bucket list so unlikely we'd splaff the points just to do another single night, which is about all our points would stretch too.

The Disney Resorts - Bay Lake Tower, Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian Village.

BLT
I think we did 3 nights BLT, 4 PoR & 5 Poly.
BLT was a 1 bed villa which is what we usually try to get for the 5 of us. Our room was located on the interior curve, a 'lake view' room which of course you can see but it wasn't straight on, more overlooking the courtyard.
The room was definitely smaller than the last one we had which was on the opposite side (theme park view) but then again that may be deliberate?)
No issues here. BLT is our home resort and whilst it might not be the most themed resort, location is a big plus.

Should be noted that at time of writing, the boat to wilderness lodge was not operating.

Top of the World Lounge is also currently closed which is disappointing too. (they did open it to resort guests on NYE, but still no word on when/if it will reopen to DVC members).

Port Orleans Riverside.
Stayed here across the New Year period but our stay was disrupted by poorly children (bit of a theme this trip )
It was a studio room with a pull down bed which sleeps 5 which is ok, but a little cramped. Plus only the one bathroom which slows down the morning rush. Having been spoiled with space previously, this took a bit of adjustment but we managed. We were in building 27 in Aligator Bayou which is only a short walk away from the lobby/food court and main pool.

I still think the Port Orleans resorts are the best of the moderates. Unfortunately our family has outgrown FQ (single rooms at least). This was our resort of choice pre-DVC/before becoming a crowd.

I didn't notice anything obvious which had been disrupted by Covid here. The create-your-own-pasta station in the food court wasn't available which i love.

Polynesian
Still our favourite resort overall. We were again in a studio room in the Tokelau building. As this was using DVC points, there was a kitchenette and dual shower/toilet so much handier for our awkward number. Our room was on the 2nd floor, at the lagoon end of the building so convenient for the beach but not so for the great ceremonial house or volcano pool. The DVC units are in Tokelau and Moorea and althouth the latter is at the extreme end, next to the TTC i might be tempted to request that building next time.
Another stay which was disrupted by ill kids but the proximity to MK/TTC meant we could pass the baton between us to spend some time at the parks.

We did have one incident where the power went out (across most of the MK resorts) just as we were getting ready to head over to the MK. The monorail and ferry (loading area) was knocked out too so had to get a bus over. Lights were only out for about 20 minutes in our building though. Strangely, a similar thing happened the last time we were here too, although it was confined to our building and out a good bit longer.

Notable covid changes were the lack of character breakfast at Ohana and a very sad looking marina (no boats at all moored here). Sea Raycers are no more but no pontoons available (only at GF/Contemporary it seems). The rest of the resort was operating as normal as far as i could see.

Dining

Ill only mention the ones of note as we did have quite a few ADRs. We didn't have any negative experiences anywhere in terms of quality or service. The perception was this is on the decline and whilst i wouldn't rave about any meal being above expectations, all were pleasant enough.

The Good

Steakhouse 71 - loved this place. Great cocktail menu, fantastic steak (cooked perfectly) and not eye-wateringly expensive which steak can be at the likes of the signature restaurants. Decor is not the best (neither was its predecessor, the wave) although i did like the prints at the entrance of WDW's development. Our server was a lovely Irish lady with a very indistinct accent which i thought was Scottish at first but was like all the Celtic nations rolled into one with a hint of Southern US. Bit forgetful but we got there in the end

Other notables :- Olivia's - Try to work this one in each trip and always good. A hidden gem amongst resort restaurants. We had lunch here and it was spot on. One of the best Key Lime Pies on property too.

Trattoria al Forno:- Our very first ADR was breakfast here and was probably our favourite (we did Ohana & Boma amongst others). I had the breakfast pizza and oh boy. Be warned its a full size pie! Tasted fantastic but a bit much for one person to take on in the morning IMO.

The not-so fantastic

Space 220 :- Ugh, looked forward to this but found it very overrated. The pre-show is underwhelming. If anyone remembers the hydrolators at the Living Seas from days gone by, this is that with a central screen that shows you heading up into 'space'. The view you get of 'space' once seated will depend on where your table is. Ours was 2nd row from the front so only had a narrow perspective which made it difficult to see all the goings on. The neon lights inside also reflect on the projection and rather spoil the aesthetic.
One important thing to know before you go (which we maybe should have checked beforehand) is that any of your party over 9 will be charged full adult price ($55 pp) for the pre-fixe menu, regardless of whether they only want to order off the kids menu. I have the pickiest kids ever and none wanted any of the appetizer options (pre-fixe is app & entree only, no option to swap app for dessert). The two eldest (12 & 14) which fell into the 'adult' bracket ended up having plain burgers. I took on an extra appetizer to try and salvage some of the shortfall but those were some pricey burgers!
The kids meal does include dessert rather than app. Youngest had the chicken strips which was way to big a portion for him and subsequently left most of it. His cosmic cupcake was nothing special either. $29 though.
With drinks, which included 1x draft beer and 1x non-alcoholic cocktail ($12!) the bill came to over $300! (plus tip) My wifes appetizer was a 'salad' (bowl of lettuce), so the premium for ambience, the novelty of which wore off pretty quick, was excessive.
Totally not worth it for us. Neat cutlery though.
The ride back to earth is really quick too, almost like they want you out sharpish.
Its a one and done for us.

Raglan Road :- Normally a must-do for us but this visit was a let down from the usual experience. We were seated in one of the booths on the right as you enter and it was seriously dark in there. I don't mind dim lighting but when you can barely see the person sat opposite you then maybe crank up the wattage a touch. The other downside to this table was that you can't see the performers which is one of the draws here. We did ask to move but it would have meant a 20 minute wait which was down-voted due to hunger.
The menu has changed since last time too (I think chef Dunbrody has left?) and was missing quite a few of the more inventive dishes. Certainly watered down now.
Saying that, the shepherds pie i had was very nice.

Other Experiences

We did a few other 'extra-curricular' expericences too this trip.
Daughter built a light sabre at Savi's Workshop. A fun but expensive bit of cos-play theater cum craft build. The sabres are very cool though and you can buy 'crystals' to change colour. She did get a proper carry bag with it too prior to the shortage.

Son went to droid depot whilst i accompanied daughter to the above and enjoyed making his BB-8 style droid. Informed it was a bit chaotic and there was a shortage of some elements. Also never got a box to take it home in, just a clear plastic bag.

Oga's Catina.
Expected more from this, given its popularity. I think i envisioned something like the cantina bar from original star wars and although there are similarities, its just a bar with DJ Rex (of ex-Star Tours fame) blasting out music, music that didn't really match the setting.
The drinks menu was creative however and the Fuzzy Tauntaun I had was certainly unique (makes your lips tingle!)
Very few snacks to choose from although i'm guessing the idea is not to overstay your welcome.
I'd like to revisit and try some of the other offerings.

Fireworks Afterparty
We've done quite a few dessert parties down the years and this one was probably low down the pile.
You get preferred viewing from the area in front of the Plaza but it seemed much more crowded than past times (there are other parties running concurrently) so there wasn't much space around you. Its a decent enough spot but there were obstructions (lamps etc) in front of you (well, there was where we were at least).
After the event you head over to Tomorrowland terraace and line up for a selection of desserts, fruit, cheeses and pastries. There's a bar too which serves a small variety of beers and wines and a selection of other hot and cold beverages.
I guess the idea is to try and get your moneys worth (I forget the exact amount, around $100 for an adult) but I never manage it. I have a sweet tooth but can't put away too much sweet stuff before tapping out. I can make better use of the bar but again, my capacity for binge drinking isn't what it used to be so trying to smash through several beers in the time allowed aint possible.
As it was, i only managed 1 (not a pint) beer and a glass of red before the complaints of tiredness from little ones meant we had to retreat. Definitely felt short changed but that was partly on us. Im not sure how long you get post fireworks, maybe an hour? Many had left before us though.

Give kids the world - Night of a Million Dreams.

Takes place at the Give Kids the world village which is nearby Medieval Times down 192.
Brilliant experience and a must-do if you happen to be around when its on. Incredible what this place does for kids. Effectively the Osbourne Lights revived. Hundreds of houses lit up, some dance to accompanying music.
It rained the day we were there but it still went ahead as usual.

Some general observations.

Well of course things are different post-covid. I find it amazing that things are still not fully operating though. 18 months on and theres still resorts closed (All stars), Restaurants (Jiko, Flying Fish, ESPN etc).

Transport is changing, minnie vans sit unused, as do trams. MDE is no longer free.
Skyliner is awesome though!

A lot of amenities have closed never to return. Bay Lake was especially quiet.

Live acts are slowly returning but the streetmoshpere was lacking.

Meet and Greets are at a distance and very impersonal. Waving at Pooh from 20yds away is surreal.

The reliance on mobiles for everything nowadays. Wi-fi was so patchy and caused a lot of frustration. Mobile ordering was useful at times, a pain at others.

We had the DAS pass and it was hugely beneficial. Especially during busier times.

Christmas Day at MK was not as busy as expected. Heard horror stories but it was very manageable. I think they may have capped capacity but also AP blackouts may have contributed to this as it got noticeably busier once all AP holders returned.

Epcot is a mess just now (well, Future world at least). Appreciate what they're trying to accomplish but it was tough to navigate with all the building work going on. Perspectives seem to be an afterthought now. The guardians building overshadows the Wonders building. The Eiffel tower looks odd when viewed from the new Remy area.
The Harmonius barges are a blight on the lagoon - On the flip side, the show is fantastic.

Ill probably add to this once i reflect some more.
I love WDW but its not shining quite as brightly as it once did at the moment.
thecheshiredad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for this - an enjoyable and informative read. We went at Christmastime a few years ago and I loved it! Interesting though that they aren’t more back to normal - maybe that’s down to staff shortages and a conservative approach to re-opening.

Quick question though about the MDE, you said “no longer free” so does that mean it is still operating as a transfer bus to Disney resorts? I really hope so!
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Cabin crew doing a quiz 🤪 😂
That bungalow sounds amazing 🤩
We had our first meal at Raglan Road NYE and were fortunate to have a raised bar table right near the entertainers, good view and great place to go on a night out with teenagers in tow
Thanks for sharing
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Really interesting read, good to hear about your experiences.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Great read, appreciate the report
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

The Bungalow sounds fab, a nice Xmas treat. I've cancelled our planned 220 visit on your advice
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

I think your server at Steakhouse 71 was Shannon. We had her on our first lunch on the 4th January. Thought her accent was a bit odd and thought she would be more at home at Raglan Road. Food was good though.
Old 12 Jan 22, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida1972
Excited about Disney

Detailed report, thank you ! Sounds like a fabulous trip especially the Polynesian Bungalows 🙂
Florida1972 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
thecheshiredad
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by eleele View Post
Thanks for this - an enjoyable and informative read. We went at Christmastime a few years ago and I loved it! Interesting though that they aren’t more back to normal - maybe that’s down to staff shortages and a conservative approach to re-opening.

Quick question though about the MDE, you said “no longer free” so does that mean it is still operating as a transfer bus to Disney resorts? I really hope so!
I'd suggest its more a financial decision rather than a staffing one that's delaying the resumption of some things. Its perplexing why the likes of the Top of the World Lounge remains closed. Its rarely busy in there, outwith fireworks times and surely numbers could be controlled if the concern was crowding (although having people shoulder to shoulder down Main St - not an issue - so doesn't stack up )

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
The Bungalow sounds fab, a nice Xmas treat. I've cancelled our planned 220 visit on your advice
Its not one ill be rushing back to. I mean the food was fine (I had the Tempura Cauliflower/Seared Tuna) but the premium to watch some CGI astronauts float by as you eat doesn't do it for me. There's far better places around.
thecheshiredad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
You were living the dream in Poly bungalow for Christmas Eve! Sounds fab, i hope your kids appreciated it!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List