Old 17 Jan 22, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We are the Millers - Our first trip with Martha. Day 8

I woke at 7am today with Martha & everyone else woke at 8. We all had bagels and fruit of some kind and then head off to Animal Kingdom. We missed rope drop & it looked really busy by the parking booths but once we were in the park it didn't seem too bad.

We took some tree photos & then head towards Dinoland. We all head on Triceratops spin which the girls loved & then Edith went on the play area, Laura followed her in first and then I did when she ran back in after we got her out .

We did It's Tough to be a Bug next. I wasn't sure if Edith would have a meltdown like I have seen so many children do over the years but she was absolutely fine.

Martha had discovered a new face this trip & everytime we did it to her, she did it back. It made us laugh so much and evermore it will be called her Florida face.

It was still early but as we passed the Yak & Yeti counter service we decided to get some food as it was the first time ever we found it with no queue & some tables spare.

We shared a chicken fried rice, the honey chicken and some egg rolls. Aaron absolutely hated the egg rolls so I ate those & left him with the rest. The girls had some snacks Id brought with us, goldfish, grapes ect. We also got a couple of ice creams.

We watched the kite show next. It was good but nothing mindblowing.

We tried our luck for a table at Nomads lounge but it was going to be an hours wait, that seems to be a lot more popular than previous times we have visited when we have always been able to just grab a table.

We head out of the park as it was really busy by this point and the queue times were all too long for the girls. We head out buying Edith a bear on the way & a donut on the way.

We popped to the outlets again, and again I stayed in the car with the girls as Martha had gone to sleep. I did head in once she was awake & had a bit of a wonder.

We all went down for a swim once we were back at the hotel, after a while, Laura took Martha back up to the room and we stayed down and had a couple of drinks and a bit more swim time with Edith.

We head back to the room & Laura said she would like a night in as she was tired and suffering with swollen feet. We started to think about where we could go. We decided to head to City Walk at Universal as we didn't have tickets this year but fancied a bit of a wonder there.

We drove & parked up no problem. It was buzzing when we entered and it felt great to be back on Universal turf. We put our name down for a table at the NBC grill and the hostess said they would text when the table was ready.
I explained that we had a UK number & that we would come back in 30 minutes if we hadn't heard from them.

We head round the lake & into a few stores, The nostalgia shop was great!

30 minutes was up & of course we hadn't had a text. Both girls were asleep in the pushchair by this point so we thought we might have a chance at another quiet meal. We head back to the hostess who looked at me blankly and said they had text us and then given our table away as we didn't show! She said she might be able to get us seated in about 40 minutes! I had a moan and she reluctantly took us inside to find a table. Here started the worst meal experience I have EVER had in Florida.

First she tried to sit us at a high table, I explained that as we had the girls and they would need a regular table if they woke up. Then she found us a table so we sat down. 20 minutes later a lady came to take a drinks order. She bought Aaron the wrong beer, then another wrong one! The second one was a fruit cider and she tried to argue that it was an IPA . He finally got his drink and I was still waiting for my Coke 30 minutes after we sat down.

We ordered food, a flatbread to start and then I had the club sandwich & Aaron had the brisket.

Our mains came before the starter. When the flatbread finally did come it was overcooked and dry. My main was weird, ultra thick bread and then wafer thin chicken so the balance was completely wrong. Aarons food tasted ok but was cold.

I didn't even bother aksing for our waitress as we hadn't seen her since we ordered. I called for a manager and after having a major moan to him, he knocked 10% off the bill So I think we still paid about $60 for the worst food. I was really cross & felt completely ripped off but couldn't be bothered to argue any more and just wanted to get out so we paid and left.

This was when our night went really wrong. The girls were both asleep as we left the restaurant, then suddenly Martha was screaming & Edith woke up suddenly and said she had wet herself. OMG, it was carnage, a soaking wet pushchair and both kids soaked through & screaming. Edith has been toilet trained since she was 2 and never has accidents so this came out of the blue. She must have been in such a deep sleep and she was absolutely devestated.

We rushed over to the bathrooms near Coldstone & I took both girls in with me. In hindsight I should have given one to Aaron to sort but I had my hands full and couldn't get to the spare clothes to give him anything.

I sorted Martha first, all the while both girls were screaming. It was awful. I felt the judgement from the other women in the toilets. In the end, having heard the screaming for too long, Aaron burst in and I managed to hand Martha to him so I could get Edith sorted. Apparently, someone had walked out of the bathroom explaiming 'those poor children' so that made me feel like a totally awful mother

I got Edith sorted and we head straight home. What had started as a really lovely night just ended so horribly. I had a good cry once we were back at the hotel and then we all went to bed.

Edited at 11:05 AM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Nice day, shame about the meal! I can't believe they still charged you $60 for bad food and service. and the accident. Bless them. You did amazingly under the circumstances.
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

A good day, such a shame about the horrible meal and service. Some people should learn to keep their mouths shut, how mean of the lady to make that comment and make you feel bad, especially when you were dealing with it so well x

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

You poor thing, sounds horrible. Any of us with kids know that sometimes it just happens and there’s nothing you can do…what a stupid woman making that comment!
Such a shame about your rubbish meal too.
Hope the next day was better.
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Our only experience of the NBC grill in 2015 was really bad. I had to hunt down the manager to get our meals served,
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 09:24 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Love Martha’s Florida face!

Shame about the whole experience at NBC grill.
We had quite a wait when we went once.

Sounds like you handled the accident as best you could - some people are just so insensitive making comments like that. Hope the next day was better for you x
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Shame your evening was not a good one! Children cry you shouldn’t worry about other peoples thoughts! We have all been there!

Joan
Old 19 Jan 22, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I honestly can't deal with how some people make comments and judge parents. Can only assume they are not parents themselves (not that thats an excuse) as we have ALL been there with the screaming kid/s in public. When I see a mum struggling like that I just want to give her a hug and tell her she's doing great.
What a shame your day ended like that
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
That's just awful, If I ever see a mum struggling I would always offer to help. I have 3 girls myself so I've been there with the judgemental looks it's just awful. Sorry you had to go through that. xx
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Jules32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Oh what a shame your day ended so badly I wouldn't eat again at NBC Grill after a bad experience there!

My grandson at just over 5 still leaves it until the last minute for a wee so has still has an occasional accident, not bad parenting at all

That donut was the size of Edith's face